Italian Issue of GQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Interesting bit from this article posted in Pleba:

http://forum.interference.com/t183987.html

J: btw, I know U2 are working in studio..
B: oh yes, we are. And we’re having a good time. We went to morocco for a religion music festival in Fez. You know, even larry that sometimes finds difficult just moving from the north side to the south one of Dublin believed we had to go there. We found a little hotel with a central inner courtyard from where we could hear muezzin calling for the prayers. And there we made our most incredible, radical music of our life. It isn’t alike to anyone other’s music. Even different to our music. I believe we will end the album next summer and release it in autumn..even if, as I said to the other “we should draft a plan..” but larry said to me “You know, I’m really happy”. “what for?” I asked him. “for not having a plan” he answered.

And there we have it...a Bono quote to dissect. :wink:

Interesting post. Is that a translation? Sounds a little disjointed, even for Bono.

I'm reminded of the post-Pop Larry when he told Bono that he really wanted to make a "pop record," not just a record called "Pop." That led to ATYCLB. Maybe Larry has been behind the 00's conservative nature of U2. You know, the pragmatic, business side of Larry.

But I'm enthused that even Larry is diving into the music without having to have a game plan.

by all accounts, this record sounds like it's going to be a brand new adventure, which really excites me. i've always trusted U2 to write good songs, and doing so on a different template will be really fun!

Larry..... happy?!?!? Wouldn't that interfere with the universe on a molecular level, throwing off the balance of the cosmos & shit like that? :hmm:

:reject: Hey - I kid because I care - you gotta' love that Sullen Mullen! :heart: :larry: :D

As long a Bono doesn't keep saying, "its something you've never heard before" a million times, and expect everyone will believe it. This is music not politics.
It is an election year here in the US, not everyone believes everthing they hear. :wink:
The music is going to be the final proof.
(and I so can't wait.. :hyper: )

I feel like an idiot for actually buying into this, and I probably am, but what the hell. :hyper:

"I believe we will end the album next summer and release it in autumn"

by next summer, he means the summer coming up, in about 5 months right??

Rob33 said:

:| I certainly hope so.

I have my heart set on seeing U2 when I'm 18. I don't want to have to wait any longer than that. :mad:

Rob33 said:

According to Bono and McGuiness it will be October this year.

Here's something on Edge from that article -

J: how is edge doing?
B: he is always a bit frantic, you know. He spends a lot of time alone in the studio, making noise. So much noise that I’m afraid one day someone will call the police. (...) But it was a while I didn’t see him so in love with the music. I didn’t see him so excited since the JT-time. Maybe he was so concentrated also while Achtung baby but was also a lot upset. Instead, now everything seems to go for the best.

ahittle said:
Interesting post. Is that a translation? Sounds a little disjointed, even for Bono.

The article is originally in Italian. onekea should be given credit for this translation which she posted in PLEBA earlier.

U2girl said:

According to Bono and McGuiness it will be October this year.

Here's something on Edge from that article -

J: how is edge doing?
B: he is always a bit frantic, you know. He spends a lot of time alone in the studio, making noise. So much noise that I’m afraid one day someone will call the police. (...) But it was a while I didn’t see him so in love with the music. I didn’t see him so excited since the JT-time. Maybe he was so concentrated also while Achtung baby but was also a lot upset. Instead, now everything seems to go for the best.

:lmao:

yeah LU...I was read the whole thing in Pleba, thank you oneeka :)

that line about edge making noise and the police really cracked me up :lol:

I looked at the scans at U2place.com and apparently it is Larry that is spending a lot of time in the studio, making a lot of noise (so much that they were afraid of someone calling the police). Bono hasn't seen Larry being so in love with the music in a long time, Larry hasn't been so excited since JT and maybe he was as focused when they made AB. Only this time, everything seems to be going for the best.

:hmm:

Last edited:
ahittle said:

I'm reminded of the post-Pop Larry when he told Bono that he really wanted to make a "pop record," not just a record called "Pop." That led to ATYCLB. Maybe Larry has been behind the 00's conservative nature of U2. You know, the pragmatic, business side of Larry.

No.

U2girl said:
I looked at the scans at U2place.com and apparently it is Larry that is spending a lot of time in the studio, making a lot of noise (so much that they were afraid of someone calling the police). Bono hasn't seen Larry being so in love with the music in a long time, Larry hasn't been so excited since JT and maybe he was as focused when they made AB. Only this time, everything seems to be going for the best.

:hmm:

Man, their Italian translation of Onekea's English is hilariously bad!

Apart from the fact that they could just pop downstairs to the newsagent and buy the original magazine instead of scabbing Onekea's scans, their Italian is soooo bad. :tsk:

ramblin rose said:
J: btw, I know U2 are working in studio..
B: oh yes, we are. And we’re having a good time. We went to morocco for a religion music festival in Fez. You know, even larry that sometimes finds difficult just moving from the north side to the south one of Dublin believed we had to go there. We found a little hotel with a central inner courtyard from where we could hear muezzin calling for the prayers. And there we made our most incredible, radical music of our life. It isn’t alike to anyone other’s music. Even different to our music. I believe we will end the album next summer and release it in autumn..even if, as I said to the other “we should draft a plan..” but larry said to me “You know, I’m really happy”. “what for?” I asked him. “for not having a plan” he answered.

OK, before you all get excited, I think you need to read the translation from Bongoliese to English.

English translation: Oh, thanks for reminding me I'm in a band! Shit, nearly forgot there. Well, we better do a new album, huh? Might be fun. Remember going to Morocco to film the Mysterious Ways video? I had a wild time then, and maybe we'll do something like that again, because God, sitting with sad-sack Larry in a studio in rain-soaked Dublin isn't a good time. He's such a wanker and we were thinking of kicking him out of the band but he bought me chocolates. So, yeah, the music. I don't really listen to that much, I'm too busy these days trying to write speeches to precede One, but if we're going to record a new album, I guess it better be original. By that, I mean the same as last time. That'd just be easier. I don't really have time to waste in the studio. Think of the starving children in Africa! They're so precious with their kneeling souls. So we might get an album out sometime in the next decade. Larry will be a wanker about it though, so don't hold your breath. Maybe Edge will have to bring the album back on one of his trips into the future. The goal is to kneel, you know? Stop (the poverty).

Re: Re: Italian Issue of GQ

Axver said:

OK, before you all get excited, I think you need to read the translation from Bongoliese to English.

English translation: Oh, thanks for reminding me I'm in a band! Shit, nearly forgot there. Well, we better do a new album, huh? Might be fun. Remember going to Morocco to film the Mysterious Ways video? I had a wild time then, and maybe we'll do something like that again, because God, sitting with sad-sack Larry in a studio in rain-soaked Dublin isn't a good time. He's such a wanker and we were thinking of kicking him out of the band but he bought me chocolates. So, yeah, the music. I don't really listen to that much, I'm too busy these days trying to write speeches to precede One, but if we're going to record a new album, I guess it better be original. By that, I mean the same as last time. That'd just be easier. I don't really have time to waste in the studio. Think of the starving children in Africa! They're so precious with their kneeling souls. So we might get an album out sometime in the next decade. Larry will be a wanker about it though, so don't hold your breath. Maybe Edge will have to bring the album back on one of his trips into the future. The goal is to kneel, you know? Stop (the poverty).

I really do think nobody hates U2 more than U2 fans.

Re: Re: Re: Italian Issue of GQ

topplehatU2 said:

I really do think nobody hates U2 more than U2 fans.

a) Axver is actually a grumpy 89-year old man from Brooklyn

b) Once outside the happy warm bubble of U2 fandom, you'd realize how much people who don't like U2 despise them :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Italian Issue of GQ

Canadiens1160 said:

Once outside the happy warm bubble of U2 fandom, you'd realize how much people who don't like U2 despise them :wink:

Certainly not from my experince. I know loads of people who are pretty meh about U2 but certainly don't despise them. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom