Is 'Winter' THE song U2 should re-work for the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends which version of 'Mercy' you're talking about. If it's the re-worked version of 'Mercy', then, yes, that re-worked version needs to be re-worked. Actually, it's better if they just trash that version. The original is amazing. I wish we could hear it with clean production rather than the ripped version that is circulating.

I agree 100%. The original version was incredibly moving as opposed to the new version with that "Because, because, because..." chorus. I can't believe they thought that was an improvement over the original chorus.

I agree 100%. The original version was incredibly moving as opposed to the new version with that "Because, because, because..." chorus. I can't believe they thought that was an improvement over the original chorus.

Agreed.

I really liked the original version and it's video from Linear and wish it had been on NLOTH but I hope that it and none of the other tracks inc Glastonbury, North Star etc aren't on the new album.

Hopefully they will be bonus tracks on some future reissue instead.

I believe it is. Yes, over 'Mercy', and over pretty much everything we've heard over the last couple years (ie, 'North Star', 'Glastonbury', etc). But keep the original version. It is, quite simply, a hidden classic in the making. Simply get rid of the "butter on toast" line. Maybe Bono should sing the verses in a lower register. That's about it. Everything else is perfect.

Thoughts? (Questions, comments, and cries of outrage are all welcome.....)
I like the song, but it could use a major rewrite to jettison the Coldplay intro Eno later reused. Ditto "Mercy".

However, the band keeps ruining things and going for a more predictable approach. The "Brothers" version is just awful. So is this Mandela song. Even "Mercy" sounded worse live a few years ago. I've little hope for U2's taste nowadays, but I maintain some level of faith and shall buy the next album I eagerly await.

The way Bono sings "now I'm 25 and trying to stay alive" in the original version of winter brought me back to the '80s. I wish they cleaned up that version in terms of structure a bit and maybe remove the strings or make them not sound so Casio like.

The original version of Mercy was on its way to a classic as well. The annoying guitar loop is a bit over the top but Bono is spot on. The way he sings "Your silence searching for a sound". Such simple lyrics made to sound so powerful.

The way Bono sings "now I'm 25 and trying to stay alive" in the original version of winter brought me back to the '80s. I wish they cleaned up that version in terms of structure a bit and maybe remove the strings or make them not sound so Casio like.

The original version of Mercy was on its way to a classic as well. The annoying guitar loop is a bit over the top but Bono is spot on. The way he sings "Your silence searching for a sound". Such simple lyrics made to sound so powerful.
Spot on, every word you said.

I really hope the new album has 10 songs on it no-one's heard before. U2 have always been a band who don't look back, eh.

Yes, but they've also been a band who saves unused material for a really long time. I'd love to see brand new songs but I don't know if we'll get it.

They've been looking back ever since Sweetest Thing was a big hit.

The original version of Winter is spectacular, aside from the spoken verses. I love Edge's helicopter guitar. It's insane that they left that off the record.

Add Winter and Soon and drop Crazy, Boots, and Comedy and you have a very solid album. I'm actually going to listen to it now.

They've been looking back ever since Sweetest Thing was a big hit.

The original version of Winter is spectacular, aside from the spoken verses. I love Edge's helicopter guitar. It's insane that they left that off the record.

Add Winter and Soon and drop Crazy, Boots, and Comedy and you have a very solid album. I'm actually going to listen to it now.

I always show off this tracklist, but imo it's the absolute best way to listen to NLOTH. Seems like a cohesive record:

1. No Line On The Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Breathe
7. White As Snow
8. Winter
9. Fez - Being Born
10. Cedars Of Lebanon

I always show off this tracklist, but imo it's the absolute best way to listen to NLOTH. Seems like a cohesive record:

2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Breathe
7. White As Snow
8. Winter
9. Fez - Being Born
10. Cedars Of Lebanon

This is fun:

1. No Line On The Horizon 2
2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Disappearing Act
5. Unknown Caller
6. Soon
7. Fez - Being Born
8. Winter
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Breathe
7. White As Snow
8. Winter
9. Fez - Being Born
10. Cedars Of Lebanon

This is great, would be a top 5 u2 album IMO.

I always show off this tracklist, but imo it's the absolute best way to listen to NLOTH. Seems like a cohesive record: 1. No Line On The Horizon 2. Magnificent 3. Moment Of Surrender 4. Unknown Caller 5. Soon 6. Breathe 7. White As Snow 8. Winter 9. Fez - Being Born 10. Cedars Of Lebanon

Imagine this...but with Boy Falls From The Sky between F-BB and CoL :drool:

chocky said:
Imagine this...but with Boy Falls From The Sky between F-BB and CoL :drool:

Agreed, I think the boys overthink things sometimes and how about a 9 minute version of MOS to boot! They think they needed hits, but an album like that would have had some dark horses!

I love NLOTH, still after all these years. So my tracklisting would only feature one change. Put the best song on the album and take off the most boring one.

2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Crazy Tonight
6. Get On Your Boots (though with live arrangement & lyrics)
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Fez: Being Born
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. No Line On The Horizon 2

I love NLOTH, still after all these years. So my tracklisting would only feature one change. Put the best song on the album and take off the most boring one.

2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Crazy Tonight
6. Get On Your Boots (though with live arrangement & lyrics)
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Fez: Being Born
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. No Line On The Horizon 2

I agree, No Line stacks up with just about any of U2's songs for me and is still one of my favorties. I like your tracklist except I would delete White As Snow and put in Winter (original Linear version) instead. Cedars does absolutely nothing for me and looks like you feel the same or similiar. I never include it.

I don't think I've even listened to Cedars ever since 2009. I honestly gave it a try, but after a few listens, still nothing. I love all the other songs, some a little more than others, but I never skip them. :lol: was very surprised to see that everybody was raving over COL here, glad I'm not the only one who just can't get into it.

Never liked Winter much though, and I have a soft spot for WAS. It's slow, but it doesn't bore me oddly enough. It has a great bassline.

2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Breathe
7. White As Snow
8. Winter
9. Fez - Being Born
10. Cedars Of Lebanon

Can I get this on Vinyl?? That is a nice playlist. For some reason I want to put it like this though:

2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Breathe
7. White As Snow
8. Winter
9. Fez - Being Born
10. Crazy Tonight
11. Cedars Of Lebanon[/QUOTE]

Just give it a little light at the end :)

This is mine:

Soon
No Line
Fez
Breathe
Unknown Caller
Winter
White as Snow
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Cedars of Lebanon

It flows really well. It's still in the bottom 1/4 of U2 records for me, but very enjoyable none the less.

This is mine:

Soon
No Line
Fez
Breathe
Unknown Caller
Winter
White as Snow
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Cedars of Lebanon

It flows really well. It's still in the bottom 1/4 of U2 records for me, but very enjoyable none the less.

nice! I like this order...

I have never been able to source a good mp3 version of Soon or the Linear version of Winter. Anyone able to help via PM? There's a lifetime of admiration in it for you.

The Linear version of Winter is one of my least favorite U2 songs. White as Snow is far more graceful and skillfully arranged, but the Brothers take is alright.

Soon could be a nice intro or interlude track. Breathe followed by Boy Falls From the Sky, with Soon leading out of the lovely ending of UC would be a great replacement for the shitty "fun" trio that we actually received.

1. No Line on the Horizon (ideally a remix that includes the No! Line! hook)
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Breathe
7. Boy Falls From the Sky
8. Fez-Being Born
9. White as Snow
10. Winter (Brothers)
11. Cedars of Lebanon

The playlists are funny cause they leave off the more progressive U2 tracks.

Like them or not, "Get On You Boots", "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight", & "Stand Up Comedy" each go to new places for the band.

Wheras "Winter" is rather typical for U2.

Hard to square that with constant complaints the band isn't pushing themselves.

Kinda funny.

Back
Top Bottom