Is Window indeed a mix of two beach clips? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:03 PM
I heard Windows once today, and I made the exact same thinking..... that it is (at least for 2 lines) a mix of the Thank you song from the (now very famous) beach clips.....

Good point Utoo....

Yahweh_OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray

didn't Bono quote the lyrics to this song on some TV news clip, claiming it to be a song he wrote on the piano?
Yep, and the lyrics of the version Lanois has performed are very different than the lyrics in 403--and the lyrics that he said on the Brian Williams intervew. (1. http://forum.interference.com/showth...ght=403+lyrics 2. http://www.atu2.com/newalbum/ 3. http://www.u2wanderer.org/rtss/viewthread.php?tid=273 )

"Work in progress."

Old 11-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

Wow, brilliant! Two pieces of music! Hence, something can be a mix of two different songs to become another one. No version that Lanois has performed live has been anything like the version seen in 403. Until the song is officially recorded, 403 and all of Lanois' live iterations are essentially demos---which can be discarded, can be altered, or can be combined with other bits to create something new. Until it is officially released as a song in its own right (and occasionally even then), any bits and pieces of a song are fair game.

Do you really think that every song by every artist arises from its own singluar, unique identity--and that no song has come from bits and pieces of more than one other musical idea? Go read about the creation of EPAA. Or listen to half of the Salome tapes, then listen to AB & Zooropa. Or do your own reading and find a good couple dozen of other examples, just with U2.
Salome tapes - composed and played by U2
Achtung Baby and Zooropa - composed and played by U2

Thank You For the Day- composed and played by Daniel Lanois
Window in the Skies - composed and played by U2

Unless there are credits that involve Lanois in the Window in the Skies creation, I disagree with you.

And I don´t hear slightest note of Window in the beach clip 403.
djerdap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap

Salome tapes - composed and played by U2
Achtung Baby and Zooropa - composed and played by U2

Sure, if you think so.

In truth, Lanois and Eno have had much more of an impact on the writing and playing of U2 songs than they get credit for on the liner notes.

Go listen to Danny Lanois' album Acadie and tell me that every idea from JT was U2's (or that every idea from Acadie is Lanois').

Beachclip 403 - performed by U2. Since the lyrics and music are different than Lanois' version, it's written by U2 as well. Until we see on a liner note for this unreleased bootleg that Lanois helped out, right? There's no reason to think that it's utterly impossible that the melody of two friggin' lines of a song influenced by work done by Bono & Lanois can be used in another of Bono's lyrical melodies.

If you don't hear it, that's fine. But there's no sense in making such a lame argument & big deal about it.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 PM
i think its 400 and 409
Chizip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

Sure, if you think so.

In truth, Lanois and Eno have had much more of an impact on the writing and playing of U2 songs than they get credit for on the liner notes.

Go listen to Danny Lanois' album Acadie and tell me that every idea from JT was U2's (or that every idea from Acadie is Lanois').

Beachclip 403 - performed by U2. Since the lyrics and music are different than Lanois' version, it's written by U2 as well. Until we see on a liner note for this unreleased bootleg that Lanois helped out, right? There's no reason to think that it's utterly impossible that the melody of two friggin' lines of a song influenced by work done by Bono & Lanois can be used in another of Bono's lyrical melodies.

If you don't hear it, that's fine. But there's no sense in making such a lame argument & big deal about it.
I disagree my arguments are lame.
Lanois was the producer of Achtung Baby - of course there are parts of his work in the Salome tapes and the AB songs. But "Thank You For the Day" is his solo work. Same as, for example, "Falling at Your Feet". Did Bono use those melodies for any other song? I doubt it.
We know nothing about the origin of the beach clip 403. Maybe Bono just played it for himself and improvised the lyrics.

We could go on and on... I do agree this discussion is practically useless.
djerdap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Again, I'm only talking about two lines.

But yes, our discussion is pointless, so I'm done.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh_OMG
I heard Windows once today, and I made the exact same thinking..... that it is (at least for 2 lines) a mix of the Thank you song from the (now very famous) beach clips.....

Good point Utoo....
Oh, and I always loved "Thank You" since I heard for the first time by Lanois.

alanah is offline   Reply With Quote