Is U2 RUSHING the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
I know, U2 rushing an album...PREPOSTEROUS thought! But it seems like out of nowhere there is a flurry of news on the album and all signs point to a fall release.

Or will things slow down as usual, and we'll still be waiting for the album a year from now?

I know it's been 4 years. But it seems like the band is really pushing to put something out. I WANT QUALITY first and foremost is all I'm saying. So I don't mind waiting. I want them to continue to blow me away, not merely quench me.

I hope it's masterpiece if this fall is indeed the target! It just sounds like they have a long way to go when all Lanois and camp use are words like "jamming" and "springboard". Those are words synonymous with at least a solid year of work left.

popacrobat said:
how are those words synonymous with at least a solid year of work left?

Usually.
U2 is much too meticulous in their work to only be "jamming" and "springboarding" with fall only 6 months away.

Last edited:
Achtung baby came out 3 years after rattle & hum.....

Zooropa came out two years after achtung..... (and they had like only half a year to record)

Those are widely considered masterpieces.

The HTDAAB punk rock venus was supposed to be 2003 and alot of people around here consider that to be almost better than the actual album...

If they feel its ready and rockin' then why not release it? To me if they over-think it too much, it will turn out over-baked.... but nobody knows for sure how far they are.

Last edited:
popacrobat said:

Blah. You're exhausting me, now. I'm saying anyone thats followed U2 over the last few albums knows that we don't see an album til the camp starts saying things like "we need a few more bridges and we got it" The after that's said, the album isn't release until 3 or 4 months later. The news that's coming out now sounds like the band is at least a year away, based on RECENT HISTORY.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Blah. You're exhausting me, now. I'm saying anyone thats followed U2 over the last few albums knows that we don't see an album til the camp starts saying things like "we need a few more bridges and we got it" The after that's said, the album isn't release until 3 or 4 months later. The news that's coming out now sounds like the band is at least a year away, based on RECENT HISTORY.

Well this time around U2 has been really trying to 'get lost in the music' and not think too much about time tables or anything to get recording. Lanois is probably just putting out info like they are still jamming because they don't want to rush U2 so much mentally. But thats just a guess, and they probably don't want to have what happpened last album where it got post-poned.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

it's a mixed bag and some of the words being used by Lanois that you've quoted can be arbitrarily interpreted by anybody. not necessarily saying you're wrong, but springboard etc. can mean different things to different people, including Lanois.

that said, the part where they are stopping their recording and listening to their album and picking out which songs to go on it makes it seem like they are near done, no? that doesn't seem like a year away or so.

it's been eerily quiet but i expect a flurry of news/rumors to begin around mid to late april and going non stop until August or so when we have official details of the album.

Wow, first we have "U2 won't finish their album until 20xx", then we have "U2 is rushing their album" .... fact is, we don't know what's going on, but judging from some of the latest Lanois statemenents I'd say they're pretty far in the recording process. After all, he talked about the band taking a break and listening to all the material to make decisions on what to add or what to leave. Sounds pretty solid to me.

I'd say we should stop jumping onto every little statement that comes from Lanois and trying too hard to interpret it one way or the other.

After all, U2 have been working on this album for quite some time now, they were in Morrocco in early 2007, they worked in Eze, in Dublin, and will probably continue to work throughout the summer. So I wouldn't worry and just have some trust instead.

last unicorn said:
Wow, first we have "U2 won't finish their album until 20xx", then we have "U2 is rushing their album" .... fact is, we don't know what's going on,

This is when I find these boards the most humerous... Everyone thinks they somehow have the band figured out or are somehow in their heads.

The only thing we do know is they are talking about the album. That's it. It's called building anticipation.

There is no set formula with the band, you can't make assumption based on timelines of previous albums.

Calm down, take a deep breath and go rag on the latest REM album or something.

Oh great, now you're giving all the POP-haters an excuse if the new album isn't up to their standards.

"See, people were saying it was rushed before it even came out just like POP! No wonder it's no good. If only they had taken 6 years instead of 4; it could have been a great album!"

I'd rather forget this thread even exists.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

I get what you're saying..TOTALLY! I have been having this same argument with my friends lately. Because every time it seems they're recording or jamming as they put it, everyone gets all excited about a fall release. Then usually Bono is quoted somewhere saying that the new album is gonna come out in the fall and be like nothing we've ever heard or they've ever done before. My typical method for measuring time is that whenever that happens...you add one year. Because U2 typically are inspired and write straight out of the gate after a tour so they have material that they are working on for years. But I clearly remember the last few albums being hyped for fall, and then taking another year after the initial hype to be finished and end up not being released til the following autumn. For this reason I was actually counting on a fall 2009 release, and tour to follow opening in (probably slated for Miami) in Spring of 2010. (Which would be cool cuz that would put them on tour for Bono's 50th Bday.)

So, I hear ya LastEdgeOnEarth! Guess only time will tell. I for one am not ready for a 2009 tour...but unfortunately they don't work around our financial issues do they! :wink:

Last edited:
popacrobat said:

it's a mixed bag and some of the words being used by Lanois that you've quoted can be arbitrarily interpreted by anybody. not necessarily saying you're wrong, but springboard etc. can mean different things to different people, including Lanois.

that said, the part where they are stopping their recording and listening to their album and picking out which songs to go on it makes it seem like they are near done, no? that doesn't seem like a year away or so.

it's been eerily quiet but i expect a flurry of news/rumors to begin around mid to late april and going non stop until August or so when we have official details of the album.

I'm going to see Lanois tonight, and if someone else doesn't ask what's going on you can bet I will !! :whistle:

U2 rushing? Ha-ha. I wish they would rush for once, make something spontaneous like The White Stripes/Raconteurs.

Nah but it's not out yet so who knows what might happen...

Im still thinking it will slip into 2009, it is U2 ofcourse.

haha^

its not like they're saying "October 15th is when the album will be released" they want it out by the fall but come on its U2! fall of 2008, spring of 2009 same thing

Haven't they been writing and recording in some fashion since, uh, fall 2006?

But, more importantly, is this confirmed?

It has to be this fall. I remember people on this thread thinking it would be released last fall and then this spring and now expecting it this fall.

I think they have plenty of time this summer to mix, and record the last few songs or fix some and get a tracklisting going.

Last edited:
If you mean that Bono's trying to look like Geddy Lee of RUSH(or is it the other way around?), they by all means---yes.

RushBig.gif

It's interesting that there is 4 or so years of material they have to work with, as well as whatever holdovers they're hoarding. Also, the work with two different producing teams complicates things even further. All these elements will make for an interesting album if nothing else..I'm very curious as to what they are doing and what the final result will be.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
haha^

its not like they're saying "October 15th is when the album will be released" they want it out by the fall but come on its U2! fall of 2008, spring of 2009 same thing

Spring of 2009 is not the same thing. I believe they aim for fall releases. Paul McG said fall releases make the most fiscal sense and is what they would be aiming for, so no, not the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom