Is U2 18 the end? Is WITS playable live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarvis

Babyface
Back in 1986, The Police passed on their instruments to U2 as a symbolic passing of the torch. Now it's 2006, it seems U2 has passed that torch to Green Day.

There has been a great productivity decline of U2's new material. From 1998 to present - which is 8 years - we have only gotten 2 studio albums (ATYCLB HTDAAB) and 3 greatest hits albums. It's usually not a great sign - especially if their last greatest hits includes a collaboration.

I think Vertigo may be their last big tour.

On a side note, I also noticed in the production of Window In The Skies that it might not make a very good live song because so many elements are hard to reproduce live but they sound great in the studio.

It sounds like a perfect bookend also. What started out as U23 ends with U218.

What are your thoughts on this?

jarvis said:
Back in 1986, The Police passed on their instruments to U2 as a symbolic passing of the torch. Now it's 2006, it seems U2 has passed that torch to Green Day.

Just because U2 recorded with someone else doesn't mean that they passed the torch to anyone.

Well they just signed a new record deal with a new label, how is this a sign of being the end?

And what about Windows do you think would be hard to play live? There have been much harder productions they've played live.

When they were playing in S. America in February, Willie who is in charge of their staging and production was already discussing what technology they were going to use on their next tour.

So I dont think this is their last tour. They have already talked about the next studio album as well. Also, The Police handed their instruments over because they knew they were done, as in the hated each other and would never make new music together again. Not the case with U2, at all.

Aren't they building a new recording studio tower along with starting a new contract? That alone speaks louder than the speculation going on here.

If the new album is anything like WITS, perhaps this should be the end. :|

Not the end, but I do wonder what the post-50 U2 will have to say in music.

They have to consider medical issues like Bono's voice going out or Larry's wrists stopping them from playing together.

Personally, since they broke any other rule, I think their end will be different. Most bands would either go on and on, or break up in the process of being together for close to 30 years. I think U2 will call it quits on a high.

A collaboration isn't handing over the torch, and I think they could play WITS live.

I hope they never play WITS live..... it's bad....

I don't think they will end now.... they still have some albums in them..... now, I'm not sure we will see Bono jumping around for another 20 years on stage.... he's already calmed down a lot since Elevation Tour..... but that's ok if the music still gives as much energy as it has given the last 27 years.... :drool:

if it was the end they would'nt pass the tourch onto green day! the biggest bands in the world have all been from the UK or ireland beatles, stones, police, queen, u2 so if they were to pass on the tourch think more coldplay, oasis, muse, kasabian

They're probably going into a reclusive, drug-fueled, experimental studio-only phase.

Yeah.

U2 is the new Beatles, so ... drugs checked with Adam, they did experimenting already - the only thing left is indeed studio-only phase.
And probably the frontman quitting the band/ego squabble in the band. Africa is the new Yoko, really.

Canadiens1160 said:
They're probably going into a reclusive, drug-fueled, experimental studio-only phase.

Yeah.

that would be pretty badass

id love it if they spent 4-5 years working hard in the studio and released 3 records (a trilogy!!!!111!) in that time frame

then hit the road with a huge club/arena/stadium mega tour with 35 new songs ready to go

u2thewho said:
Yes, and in 1988, they passed the torch to BB King and Bob Dylan, in 1993 to Johnny Cash, and in 1997 to Willie Nelson.

It's impossible to pass the torch to elder artists. BB King, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson were obviously older than U2 at that times.

The Police passed the torch to a younger band, U2 in 1986. In 2006 U2 have passed the torch to a younger band, Green Day.

I really hope the new album won't be WITSish, if so, U2 will be done :help:

First thing they need to do: KEEP RICK RUBBISH AWAY

and second: Dream It All Up Again, for God's Sake

:wave:

How the hell do you "pass a torch"? When did "The Police" ever pass any torch to anyone? How the hell does Green Day even stack up to U2? They´re not a "new" band. They´ve been around for a while and they still suck.

Anybody feel like explaining where the hell "The Police passing the torch" story comes from?

The pass the torch story comes from the Conspiracy of Hope Tour in 1986.

The final show the Police ever did they took off their instruments and handed them over to U2 for them to use. Thus "passing the torch" as the next great band.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
butt plug

Snarf?

snarf.jpg

In all honestly, the drug-induced reclusive phase really is most likely. With guns in the house and broken windows, just like Aerosmith did years ago. I mean, haven't one or two people been arguing that U2 is the new Aerosmith? WITS sounds exactly like "Dream On" to me. :shrug:

:lol:

With all of its layers, I think WITS might be hard to pull off live. However, I'd love to see it & I'd be interested to see what kind of treatment it would get, both musically & visually.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:

Yeah.

This could be interesting.

If we could be certain they'd make it out alive...I'm sure someone here could pass Edge and the boys a bong and lock the door. :wink:

I wonder what they would come up with?:hmm:

oh gosh, I can't even imagine the end of U2...

I think they're working more in the albuns, they're spending more time to this these masterpieces...

Now, they've kids, and everything, and they don't want to miss this, they want to stand there for their babies...

and the new album is coming...let's see what happens

U2girl said:
U2 is the new Beatles, so ... drugs checked with Adam, they did experimenting already - the only thing left is indeed studio-only phase.
And probably the frontman quitting the band/ego squabble in the band. Africa is the new Yoko, really.

:laugh:

Window in the Skies. Check.
Butt plug. Check.
Drugs. Check.
Snarf. Check.

Is it party time in here or what?

skeltoon2qj0.jpg

"One thing Larry was responsible for was whispering in my ear, at the end of Pop -- it might have been the last day of recording -- 'Why don't we actually make a pop record next time?'"
-- Bono, 2001

So maybe Larry get's his wish now. WITS is a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom