Is this the worst U2 album ever ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^^^^^^^

This is pretty standard. Praise the new album by dissing the last one. One interesting trend I'm seeing is that there seems to be a sense of trade off with a lot of people. While this album doesn't have some of the highs of NLOTH, it doesn't have the lows either. I guess I can be on board with that.

Definitely some unfair dissing of NLOTH though. There are some amazing tunes on that one (NLOTH, MOS, and Fez specifically).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This thread should be reserved for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb exclusively. October is their lowest quality album, but its early so it gets a pass. HTDAAB is the sound of 4 men trying to be something they're not. There's a couple good songs on it, but there's too many awful songs on it. Love and Peace, All Because Of You, Crumbs, OOTS, etc. SOI is 1000x better.

The NLOTH hate is whatever. This happens every time a new U2 album is released. Pop was the band's biggest mistake when ATYCLB came out, ATYCLB was boring fluffy pop crap when HTDAAB came out, HTDAAB was a totally embarrassing faceless disaster when NLOTH came out. Now NLOTH is a pile of excrement that was appropriately forgotten now that SOI is out.

SOI is going to be a overproduced batch of sellout dreck with some pathetic attempts to rock whenever Songs of Experience drops. And so on.

Last edited:
:lol:

Reminds me of this classic I stumbled on one day:

I'm Disappointed In Everything U2 Has Ever Done
Mark Freedman
War Child
Premium Gold Member

I'm disappointed in Boy. I heard it was supposed to be a punk album, since U2 are fans of punk rock, but it's more of a rock and roll album, with some ballads. This band has no future. I miss the Feedback and Hype days. Bono Vox can't sing, and they should never have let The Edge's brother out of the band.

I'm disappointed in October. It's way too religious, and the lyrics suck. Just because Bono "misplaced" his lyrics doesn't mean he couldn't think up some new ones, does it? This band has no future. Boy is their best album. They are on their way down. They'll never top Boy.

I'm disappointed in War. It is WAY too political! Who do these "boys" think they are? What the hell do they know about the world? They just haven't been the same since October. And the production is so muddy! New Year's Day, my ass. Album Bloody Album. What kind of crap is Red Light? Yeah, boys, put the red light on and get out of the music business. And what -- you can't think of a more original album cover? Is thhis guy going to be on every other album cover?

I'm disappointed in The Unforgettable Fire. What are these fluffy landscapes? Do they think they're Yanni with these atmospheric tunes? Where's the rocking U2 we loved from War? Yeah, this album is "Bad". They think they're as good as Elvis Presley? With that song? That's a song? They've gotten lazy -- just slowed down the first song with Bono mumbling over it just to fill out the album. What trash. War is their best album. They'll never top War.

I'm disappointed in The Joshua Tree.
This is just the UFF 2! They've lost all their originality, which I loved so much when they went from War to UFF. Just more atmospheric soundscapes. It was great the first time around, but they've obviously ran out of ideas. It will never sell. UFF is a classic. These are just retreads. And what's with this first single, With Or Without You? There's like no chorus, and it's slow and boring. It'll never be a hit, and we'll forget about it in a year. The UFF was their best album. They are on their way down. And they take themselves WAY too seriously. Oh, and anyone who likes this is a jerk, who has no taste in music. Where were these fans in the beginning, when U2 were on their way to superstardom with amazing albums from Boy through UFF?

I'm disappointed in Rattle & Hum. We had to wait two years for this crap? They had to put live stuff on it because they couldn't write enough new material? And some of this crap isn't even them! BB King? Other songs that sound like BB King? This is U2, man! Gospel singers? They just ruined I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, one of the greatest songs from the best album ever made, The Joshua Tree. And what the hell is Angel Of Harlem? What territory are they trespassing on now? And who the hell do they think they are? As big is the greatest artists in history? They take themselves WAY too seriously. Big headed jerks. Next thing they'll say is that they're bigger than Jesus. They are definitely on their way down. They should break up now. Why isn't the live version of Streets on here??? And With Or Without You, the best single they ever had!!! This is so much worse than JT. They'll never reach those heights again.

I'm disappointed with Achtung Baby. We waited like three years of this freaking noise? Where are the beautiful atmospheric soundscapes from JT or the studio stuff from the amazing Rattle & Hum album? No one will ever again make an amazing album seamlessly mixing live and studio material without missing a beat. These songs all sound the same, and half of them are soooo boooring. They are so cruel. I was so looking forward to their first new single, and they come out with this Fly crap? A bleeping bunch of hard rock noise, which sounds like almost every other piece of crap on this mess of an album. And they're trying to be ironic? Moronic is more like it. This isn't the U2 I love. The U2 who were concerned with the problems of the world. I want the U2 back who were serious, and they sang about it from the heart. I give up on them. They dreamed it all up again, all right. A freaking nightmare. Baby, baby, baby, my ass. And One? It's a With Or Without You wanna-be -- a shell of the greatest song ever written.

I'm disappointed with Zooropa. They could have at least spent a couple of more years on this, then it wouldn't be such unrecognizable crap. I figured there would be no way they could top a masterpiece such as AB, and boy was I right! Babyface and Stay? What MOR crap. Noow they're making soundtrack music. And First Time sounds like a rehashed All I Want Is You, one of the greatest songs ever from the awesome R&H album. They don't make 'em like they used to. And what is with Wanderer? Just wander right outta here. I hate the experimental crap they have on this album also. This is their swan song. And it's so sad, since their last album was the GREATEST ALBUM EVER MADE!!!

I'm disappointed with Pop. First of all, where are the dance songs? This was supposed to be a dance album, and all we got is a single that's named after a place people go to dance! Who are they, The Village People??? And Bono can't sing anymore. I mean, like, please! I'm down on my knees! I can't even hear some of these songs without raising the volume to 12. This is NOT U2. What happened to the melodic hits of the past? Gorgeous tunes like Stay and The First Time from the adventurous and exciting Zooropa album? There's nothing atmospheric like the amazing title track from Zooropa! It's a muddy, horrible mess. Who are these guys producing this crap? This album was not finished. They are too concerned with going on tour. Nothing will ever top Zoo TV, anyway. At least Zooropa was experimental while still sounding like U2. This is too far gone, and boring. Miami, my mammy? Worst song ever made. I hope they don't dare play that pile of noise live. They now officially suck. My new favorite band is Radiohead. At least they still make accessible great music. Radiohead is what U2 used to be. An amazing band with amazing melodies, and a great future.

I'm disappointed with All That You Can't Leave Behind. What happened to the amazing experimentation of Pop??? That is a piece of art! This is MOR, AOR, whatever. Songs for my parents to listen to. This upcoming tour is going to be soooo booooring. U2 is old. Bono can't sing anymore. They are over 40. Time to call it quits. Just when you thought they were headed in another amazing direction, as they showed in Pop, they wait three years to come out with schmultz. That's it. They're through. From Boy to Pop, they were the best band ever. Now only Radiohead has enough guts to experiment. They are the new best band in the world. Goodbye U2.

I'm disappointed with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. What happened to the rock album we were promised? Bono said so, and he's always done what he promised. Never mind that it was a year ago. They had a rock album made a year ago, and I want THAT ALBUM!!! It was supposed to be heavy, like Boy and War, which, if I remember, are hard rock albums. They dare put in melodic pop-rock? What's with these ballads? I never liked atmospheric ballads from U2. Give me heavy, experimental rock. Love And Peace Or Else is the only good thing on it. The rest is filled with jangling guitar from The Edge, who can't play more than three chords. And Sometimes? It's a One wanna-be -- a shell of the greatest song ever written. They are old and over the hill. Where's the cutting edge? The experimentation? I loved Pop the day it came out, because it was BOLD! It was NEW! It didn't play it safe like this crap. Their return to melodic rock was done right on ATYCLB. But this is a rehash of that, done poorly. People think this is a classic? Yeah, a classic mistake! What these guys need is a miracle drug, and fast! Sellouts. U2 sounding like U2. Boy does that suck. Oh, and anyone who likes this is a jerk, who has no taste in music. Where were these fans in the beginning, when U2 were on their way to superstardom with amazing albums from Boy through ATYCLB?

Someone really needs to update this to include NLOTH.

EDIT: Bonus update to include SOI from Rasta:

Sorry guys but I'm glad I didn't pay for your new album. We waited 5 years for this ? I can't hear Edge's guitar at all in this and there are no hits. Too melow for me. I don't think it will grow on me either as I am sick of listening to it already. Every Breaking Wave is the only half decent song on the entire album but we've already heard that song played live (which sounded better live). Maybe you should have worked with Eno and Lanois. Been a fan since the beginning really disappointed..Where was Larry and Adam on this album ? I thought they were the ones who are supposed to save them from releasing a shite album ? When Bono said after three shite albums that's it for them did he mean 3 in a row or 3 in total ? This is definitely #2 after Pop. Bono needs to sing not speak. Maybe they should have called it "This Is An Album for Somebody".

The NLOTH hate is whatever. This happens every time a new U2 album is released. Pop was the band's biggest mistake when ATYCLB came out, ATYCLB was boring fluffy pop crap when HTDAAB came out, HTDAAB was a totally embarrassing faceless disaster when NLOTH came out. Now NLOTH is a pile of excrement that was appropriately forgotten now that SOI is out.

SOI is going to be a overproduced batch of sellout dreck with some pathetic attempts to rock whenever Songs of Experience drops. And so on.

:lmao:

It's really early, but ...

Zooropa
Achtung
Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Pop
War
Boy
Passengers
Songs of Innocence
Rattle and Hum
ATYCLB
October
NLOTH
HTAAB

I could see it moving up, but right now it's a solid second tier U2 album and one of the best of the year.

This is very close to, what my personal ranking would look like.

Sorry guys but I'm glad I didn't pay for your new album. We waited 5 years for this ? I can't hear Edge's guitar at all in this and there are no hits. Too melow for me. I don't think it will grow on me either as I am sick of listening to it already. Every Breaking Wave is the only half decent song on the entire album but we've already heard that song played live (which sounded better live). Maybe you should have worked with Eno and Lanois. Been a fan since the beginning really disappointed..Where was Larry and Adam on this album ? I thought they were the ones who are supposed to save them from releasing a shite album ? When Bono said after three shite albums that's it for them did he mean 3 in a row or 3 in total ? This is definitely #2 after Pop. Bono needs to sing not speak. Maybe they should have called it "This Is An Album for Somebody".

You didn't really listen to the album, did you? Just admit it. Haha, very funny.

^^^^^^^^^

This is pretty standard. Praise the new album by dissing the last one. One interesting trend I'm seeing is that there seems to be a sense of trade off with a lot of people.

I can honestly say...from day one... NLOTH didn't get me excited. I would play the first 3 tracks then skip to Breathe. So to be fair.....that's my album to diss....and have done so since it came out. (I bought the deluxe..and the vinyl... and the....and was underwhelmed.)

However.

Just like after Pop, U2 loves to rise from the ashes.

So in a way, I'm thankful for NLOTH and them abandoning the songs on 360...

We wouldn't then have this gem of a record.

NLOTH..... I knew they lost the plot when I saw sexy women in boots with moustaches....and a burning motorcycle.

:lol:

Reminds me of this classic I stumbled on one day:

Someone really needs to update this to include NLOTH.

If I may:

I'm disappointed with No Line on the Horizon. What happened to the anthemic rock band that solidified their place as the biggest band in the world? None of these songs stick with you, it's all just boring pseudo-exotic bullshit. They half-assed this project, which is unlike them. With HTDAAB, U2 released 11 songs that had been polished and crafted to brilliance. No Line sounds like the scraps left over from three different sessions, all of which must have been a dead end. I mean, what is Stand Up Comedy? Hilarious, that's what it is. An absolute disaster. Crazy Tonight sounds like something a group of old men would write for their nursing home talent show. I hate that U2 made it impossible to skip the beginning of Fez-Being Bor(ing) because it's a total waste of time. When U2 wanted to experiment on masterpieces like UFF, they made them separate tracks. Nobody will care about this album in 6 months. In fact, nobody will care about this album in 3 1/2 minutes if they hear Get on Your Boots first. The worst lead single of all time. No hope on the horizon.

I'm disappointed with Songs of Innocence. It's no wonder they had to give it away. We were told that the band would be working with Danger Mouse on this album, but all I hear is overly polished pop nonsense. I feel like Calvin Harris produced the first five tracks. Oh, it was written by a OneRepublic guy? Fuck this band. It was bad enough to team up with Apple and force this pile of shit on the world, invading the privacy of millions in the process, but these producers are a joke. At least they have no credibility left to lose. All of this feels so mannered and boring. What happened to the inspired creativity of NLOTH, one of U2's finest works? Song for Someone had to be left unspecified because no one wanted it. Stop singing about your mom, your boring neighborhood and your boring friends. What are you now, 100? You're not a kid anymore, as much as you clearly want to be. And hey, U2 is back to trying to rock again, only this time they're 5 years older. Don't talk about Joey Ramone. The only miracle is that I was able to finish the album, but I slept like a baby once it was over. Lykke Li? Sorry U2, you're not getting better than a 3 from Pitchfork. And you shouldn't. Fuck you.

Last edited:
If I may:

I'm disappointed with No Line on the Horizon. What happened to the anthemic rock band that solidified their place as the biggest band in the world? None of these songs stick with you, it's all just boring pseudo-exotic bullshit. They half-assed this project, which is unlike them. With HTDAAB, U2 released 11 songs that had been polished and crafted to brilliance. No Line sounds like the scraps left over from three different sessions, all of which must have been a dead end. I mean, what is Stand Up Comedy? Hilarious, that's what it is. An absolute disaster. Crazy Tonight sounds like something a group of old men would write for their nursing home talent show. I hate that U2 made it impossible to skip the beginning of Fez-Being Bor(ing) because it's a total waste of time. When U2 wanted to experiment on masterpieces like UFF, they made them separate tracks. Nobody will care about this album in 6 months. In fact, nobody will care about this album in 3 1/2 minutes if they hear Get on Your Boots first. The worst lead single of all time. No hope on the horizon.

I'm disappointed with Songs of Innocence. It's no wonder they had to give it away. We were told that the band would be working with Danger Mouse on this album, but all I hear is overly polished pop nonsense. I feel like Calvin Harris produced the first five tracks. Oh, it was written by a OneRepublic guy? Fuck this band. It was bad enough to team up with Apple and force this pile of shit on the world, invading the privacy of millions in the process, but these producers are a joke. At least they have no credibility left to lose. All of this feels so mannered and boring. What happened to the inspired creativity of NLOTH, one of U2's finest works? Song for Someone had to be left unspecified because no one wanted it. Stop singing about your mom, your boring neighborhood and your boring friends. What are you now, 100? You're not a kid anymore, as much as you clearly want to be. And hey, U2 is back to trying to rock again, only this time they're 5 years older. Don't talk about Joey Ramone. The only miracle is that I was able to finish the album, but I slept like a baby once it was over. Lykke Li? Sorry U2, you're not getting better than a 3 from Pitchfork. And you shouldn't. Fuck you.

:lol::lmao::applaud:

Bookmark it.

If I may:

I'm disappointed with No Line on the Horizon. I hate that U2 made it impossible to skip the beginning of Fez-Being Bor(ing) because it's a total waste of time.

I'm disappointed with Songs of Innocence. Stop singing about your mom, your boring neighborhood and your boring friends. What are you now, 100? You're not a kid anymore, as much as you clearly want to be.

:lmao: You're on a roll.

It's actually fun to read the Rasta review after all the joke reviews because it looks like a joke review.

Fuck this is funny:

My favourite complaint now is "I've been a fan from the beginning...{complain about whatever}

No matter how nasty the Pitchfork review ends up being I think we are ready for it! :happydance:

If I may:

I hope they get a 4 or 5 from Pitchfork, just to spite you.
NO CONCERT TICKETS FOR YOU!
(Yeah, that's right. You don't have the balls, not to want tickets.)

EDIT: Is what I would say to people who think this way, people don't have time to constantly flick through these pages.

^^^^^^^^^

This is pretty standard. Praise the new album by dissing the last one. One interesting trend I'm seeing is that there seems to be a sense of trade off with a lot of people. While this album doesn't have some of the highs of NLOTH, it doesn't have the lows either. I guess I can be on board with that.

Definitely some unfair dissing of NLOTH though. There are some amazing tunes on that one (NLOTH, MOS, and Fez specifically).

Very well stated here and I agree.

Said it before and I'll keep saying it but the best word to describe this album is "consistent".

That might have actually been Laz.

It was Laz...gotta give him credit where it's due. I think I spit out my coffee when I read that one. This record seems to be bringing out the genius in some of us.

"Hello, this is Adam Clayton of U2. People seem to think we only use private jets, but most of the time I prefer the no-frills efficiency of Southwest Airlines. It's a little more casual, reasonably priced, and as for that baggage limit? Well most of those things...you can leave behind."

(gestures to stewardess)

"May I have a ginger ale please? And keep them coming."

(winks at camera)

Announcer: "You are now free to move in mysterious ways about the country"

^^^^^^^^^

I agree, I don't understand the hate. I might prefer SoI to NLOTH, but I don't hate it. Especially when there's the songs you mentioned.

This week has made me want to go listen to (most of) NLOTH. I feel like I haven't heard it in ages, since I'd been on kind of a semi-U2 break.

I believe I shall crank that sucker up this weekend.

Crazy Tonight sounds like something a group of old men would write for their nursing home talent show.

I hate that U2 made it impossible to skip the beginning of Fez-Being Bor(ing) because it's a total waste of time..

Stop singing about your mom, your boring neighborhood and your boring friends. What are you now, 100?

Sorry U2, you're not getting better than a 3 from Pitchfork. And you shouldn't. Fuck you.

Gold Jerry, gold! I'm fucking dying here.

I love that the meaningless disclaimer is stuck right in the middle of the post where no one will see it.

Hey! He made it THIS FAR with U2 then another 5 years of waiting!

And the assumption Larry and Adam are these amazing security guards against bad music and some how were snoozing on the job. They probably love the album.

I don't even understand the last sentence/criticism.

I'm guessing Adam more so than Larry. Larry hates everything.

passengersangrylry.png

I actually LOVE this album! Even the middle songs--that I thought I didn't really like--have grown on me.

Back
Top Bottom