Is This The Best U2 Album Ever?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about RTSS and IGC? Became live favorites and well known songs, especially IGC

Plus, One Tree Hill, RHMT, MOD, Trip through your wires(yes, its a great song) and EXIT. Come on, JT is the quitessential U2 masterpiece, not even close to a weak song on there.
x INFINITY

The Joshua Tree = U2
there is no comparison

How about RTSS and IGC? Became live favorites and well known songs, especially IGC

Plus, One Tree Hill, RHMT, MOD, Trip through your wires(yes, its a great song) and EXIT. Come on, JT is the quitessential U2 masterpiece, not even close to a weak song on there.

:up: Ive been meaning to mention this as well. JT is way more than the first few songs for me. One Tree Hill is a highlight of the album, In Gods Country and Exit (live especially) are mind blowing. Running to Stand Still cant be denied either. The whole album is brilliant :drool:

How can this be the best U2 album if the next one is going to be and the one after that?

I think we need to see this played live... as we all know the tour and live versions and videos... all play a part in how we view the album and the songs. They surely grow on you...

I think i liked POP and ZOOROPA much more now, then I did then... and I really liked them then...

It's too early to make statements until I can hear the album in my head without playing it, like I can with the other albums.

I'm not going to even attempt to fit NLOTH into my album rankings for at least a few weeks.

TOO EARLY TO JUDGE!!!

The day HTDAAB leaked, it was (IMO) their best thing since AB and 2 weeks later it was N°3, then 1 month later it was 4, then 5.... blabla... so, it is impossible to say right now.
Something sure about NLOTH is that there is more content than the 2 previous ones, at this stage (5 listenings) it seems better than the last 2 and probably a few others, but I can also be certain that it's not better than AB nor JT. I wasn't expecting anything better than those 2 masterpieces anyway, because it's almost impossible to write 11 perfect songs after 30 years of music.

Let's talk about NLOTH in 2-3 months or even after the first leg of the Tour, and many opinions will have changed drastically, including mine maybe.

Definitely not my favorite. I can't say with any certainty where it will end up on my list. I will say that of U2's other albums their most experimental albums are my favorites, and this seems to be one of those albums. So I'm sure it's in my top 5. But we'll see.

Just going over that thread now. :lol:

Oh god. How people get over excited. 'JT WAS my favourite album,' etc. Let's just hope we're not saying that about NLOTH in four years time

someone actually said:

FOR ME BY FAR THE BEST EVER ALBUM MADE BY U2. THE MOST CONSISTENT, THE MOST DIVERSE AND BETTER PERFORMED.
ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT

:D:D:D

My excitement with bomb was mostly due to the fact that it was new U2. I loved the songs, and still do, but the overwhelming sense of relief to have the new U2 cd took over from it all. It was setteld into a mid-range U2 album for me.

This is an entirely different kettle of fish. My excitement for the new U2 has dissipated before this was leaked due to the 45 second clips, and the short space of time between the leak and the actual release. I feel I appraised the songs more for what they are, without having my head totally full of delerium.

My first impression is that it is their most consistant record. On every album prior to this, I can always find songs to skip (I love them all, but if I have, say 40 minutes, and Pop is on in the car, I'll skip a few).

When I was ranking the songs, I found GOYB was at 11 with a bullet. I LOVE GOYB btw. That may be because it is the one I know, but somehow, I feel it is more due to the fact that this album has no weak tracks. There is no "One Step Closer" or "Wild Honey" or "Playboy Mansion" or Some Days Are Better Than Others" or TTTYAATW" you get what I mean.

In terms of longevity, it is the fact that the songs are far more densly layered than Bomb that gives me hope. I think some here will become tired of Stand Up quickly (for the lyrics more than anything else). But even on a 10th listen right through, the songs reveal more and more.

Initial impressions (in order of preference):

Unknown Caller

On first listen I was blown away by the transition from intro to chorus/verse. The mix on Edge's guitar may be slightly loud, but repeat listens justify it as a beautiful clean guitar part that adds oodles of texture. The chorus gives me goosebumps each time I hear it. Edge's solo is fantastic. He is the master of the understatement. It's not an overly intricate part, but, in typical Edge fashion, it is PERFECT for the song, and expresses feeling in a much cleaer and more succinct way than any lyric could.

Magnificent

I am dumbfounded by the criticism of the electronics in the intro. It transforms what could have been a standard U2 classic into something for the ages. It instantly draws you in, and like any good bottle of wine, gets better and better with age. Each time I hear the chorus I feel like doing a 'Michael Stipe' dance. It is the most ecstatic and emotive song they have ever written. The perfect number 2.

Breathe

I must admit now, since we have the songs, that while I loved the sounds in the beach clip, the vocal syncopation had me worried. Not any more. The pre-chorus vocal melody is probably the best on the album. I'm at work now, and this is the song that has been in my head since my last full listen to the album. With some solid live performances, this could move up in my rankings.

Crazy Tonight

Yes it is pure pop, but it is perfect pure pop. Bono's voice is amazing, and the little intro line (stolen from Love Actually if I'm not mistaken) harkens back to the sound of SYCMIOYO, but sounds more like a celebration of life, rather than the lament of death. Bono's best vocal in the chorus. Never before has he sung so high with so much power. I do suspect this is as high as this song will go in my rankings, but in a fantastic group of songs, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Moment of Surrender

The line "I did not notice the passer's by, and they did not notice me" is probably the sadest line on the album. With all that is said about Bono's ego, this line, longing for anonymity and normality is just so striking, especially as it is juxtaposed with the self-deprication of Stand Up Comedy. I think this will be the biggest 'grower' on the record. Initially it is striking, but each listens reveals more gold and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Cedars of Lebanon

The emotional core of the record. The honesty and longing in Bono's voice, and the haunting beauty in the Edge's backing vocal paint a sparse and desperate landscape. An understated song, that on just about any other U2 album would be in my top 3.

White As Snow

This song would be higher if it weren't for the generic country bass line. I love the imagery, and the overall soundscape created. It speaks volumes to the albums quality that this song is ranked at 7.

No Line On The Horizon

The perfect opener to what may turn out to be U2's best record. What a fresh change that the opener is actually a traditional opening song, rather than just the first single! A simple song that serves its purpose more than any other song on the record. The layering and build out FAR outstrip the b-side version and introduce the record perfectly.

Stand Up Comedy

The most interesting song interms of riffing and lyrics. Won't have the longevity that some others have, so is perfectly placed at number 7. A very groovy song that stylistically is different enough to the rest of the album to warrant its place, but definately fits the overall textures and themes. Probably the most 'fun' song on the disc.

Fez-Being Born

The weirdest and most interesting song. The lyrics do seem to have only been added for the sake of having lyrics (and I am one of those guys who actually likes Bono's voice, so it's not entirely a bad thing). The melody is slow providing a stark contrast to the pace of the rest of the band. The intro is one of my favourite sections on the album, and is a perfect transition from the more 'traditional U2' middle section and the more experimental final section.

Get On Your Boots

I do love this song. The album's strength is that the lead single is the worst song on it. The chorus is still suprising to me. I love Edge's backing vocals throughout this record, and here is probably the most effective example.

Overall I feel this record will be remembered by most in their top 5. It amazes me that a band in their 33rd year is producing some of the best music of their lives. To me, anyone who says they like this album more than JT or AB is much more justified than anyone saying it about HTDAAB.

In my opinion the strength of the album lies in the fact that it is one of each members best performances.

I would say it is one of Bono's best records. His voice is more powerful than ever before. It is easily his best vocal performance since Achtung Baby, and could be argued that it surpasses it.

It is Edge's best performance. He combines classic Edge tones and effects, and brings them into the present day. He is clear, and perfectly fits every moment. He is the most emotional guitarist in the world right now. He also has some of his best solos on here. Contrast the solo in Unknown Caller to the solo in All Because of You and you will see what i mean about fit-for-purpose.

Adam is totally on his game. I don't like the bass line in WAS, which probably places this as his 3rd best album for me, behind War and TUF. He isn't just playing root notes, but gets some amazing counter-melodies going.

Larry is branching out 'into the sound'. This is the first time I can recall hearing him competing for front-line honours. Drum fills, drum intros, and complex parts reminiscent of the Unforgettable Fire make this his best performance.

I've got way too much time on my hands :reject:

I know you didnt mean it with bad intentions, but you shouldnt really single someone out like that. The guy is stoked about the new album. Thats cool. Let him be stoked, know what I mean? but again, i know it was all in good fun so, who am I to say anything.......peace, love and understanding :hi5:

The rythem section on this record puts shame to any of the previous records. Adam and Larry definatly came to bat this time and did a great job.

This is a damn good record. I'm not sure yet if it it is in the JT/AB category, or up there with ATYCLB and War (my favorites after JT and AB). Could it be there best album? Maybe. Time will tell. I doubt there is one great U2 album, but it could be the third in a trio of masterpieces. I'll wait until the tour is over and we've listened to the album 10,000 times and heard it live.

no. but it's ridiculously awesome. i think i'm currently about to poop my pants. yup.

yup.

:). it's good the boys did something interesting here. well played.

unforgettable fire had a threesome with the achtung baby and the passengers, while jimmy page yelled at them from the corner.

musically.

lyrically, bono is in a most beautiful and spiritual place, which is when the band is slam on awesome. the purveyor of the pslams would be proud. i am.

I would not rank it the best, it seems to be a grower for me, the more I listen, the better it gets...

It should be against the rules for a bunch of Irish lads in their late 40's to put out something this good. Definitely top 3 for me, but this could take the cake looking back 10 years from now, it's so diverse yet cohesive, so deep, great melodies, great solos, great range of vocals, great rhythym, it's mind-blowing and I'm just gushing. Can't skip a track!!! I would only compare it to JT after another 22 years all things being equal bc I think we're all a little bit jaded right now since it's so fresh! This is amazing, cmon FEZ, it's just not fair to love this so much and I can't wait to see the next album later this year bc this will be U2's finest year!!!!!

2 minutes and counting and I get to hear it....man you guys have me stoked this is going to be fantastic to hear!!!!

For me, JT isnt as good as AB as an album. The best songs are better, but the worst songs are worse.

I find that this album (pray that it holds over time) combines the good points of each. The amazing songs are out of this world, and there are really no weaker songs. The worst songs are still ones that would be the best on other U2 albums.

OK - I've read the entire thread and although it pains me to say this, I'm going to stick with my convictions & not make the mistake I made with the last album: I downloaded it once it leaked because 1) it was the new album & I was so excited, 2) I wanted to be able to discuss the songs with all the other 'cool kids' who'd already downloaded & listened to it, and 3) it was the new album & I was so excited. :D

With the exception of a few dissenting opinions, it would appear that NLOTH is going to be huge, at least among us fans, if not with the rest of the world. And while that makes me want to know what you guys are talking about in the worst way, I'm going to wait and savor the new music whilst I have the jewel case and liner notes in my hands, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of a new U2 album all at once. I think it's going to be soooo worth the wait. :drool: :drool: :drool:

No. Achtung Baby and ATYCLB still are tied for that, IMO.

This could be a 3rd though...although I am not sure...I still prefer WAR to NLOTH at this point...but it could change...how many people listen to War still? How many people here were old enough to get War when it first came out? I wonder...

I'm just curious...

No I don't think it is even close to their best. Sadly, I can't see any huge hit off this album. Moment Of Surrender is brilliant, Crazy Tonight could be a radio friendy song. Everyone gets caught up in the emotion of having a new U2 album that we go over the top. No other act around can match this album, but in terms of U2 and their previous albums I don't think it is even better than Bomb. I dissagree that there are no weak songs too. The last 3 or 4 are rather weak in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom