Is This The Best U2 Album Ever?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely not. I think a lot of people are still a bit too excited and close to this album to accurately rate it. Remember how people loved HTDABB at first and then the consensus seemed to swing the other way?

I remember...and I think you're absolutely right.

No. But Cedars is the best closer ever.

yes.

Pop has been my favourite album for over a decade. There's no way anything could surpass it.

Better than Achtung or JT? Very doubtful.

Better than all the other albums? Very possible. Except maybe ATYCLB, I love me some addyclub.

too early to say really. It's definitely a grower though. On the 6th listen I like it way more than I did on the first.

Better than the Joshua Tree? WHAT?! Ok you are entitled to your opinion..:wink:

Of course, this is a personal, premature take on the No Line, but Joshua Tree, with the exception of 3-4 songs never really resonated with me, although it is clearly a great album. I think No Line is probably as good as anything they have done, with the exception of AB.

No Line is my second favorite at this point.

If you put Heartland on JT, it's their best album. Speaking of Heartland--Magnificent's bridge :drool::drool::drool:

radio hits huh? I'm 25 and i don't know anyone who listens to the radio anymore, it's all changing

So far I like it 3rd best at least. Though it's closing on JT at the moment. I still feel AB was such a huge shift it's hard for U2 to come up with something completely new without diving into Polka music mixed with disco. The production sounds the best on this new album though.

For me, it's not quite as good as Joshua Tree but its right there. So, #2 in my book!

Anyone who is somehow disappointed in this Album should probably just stop listening to U2.

I'm really surprised (and a wee bit frightened) by the glowing reviews coming so early. Isn't great art supposed to divide people? :wink:

I've got all songs on my Itunes right now, still haven't listened.... I'm scared... :D
My girlfriend comes back any minute and I wanted to hear it with her... beers in the fridge, everything is ready, ready for the push....

Starting nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :drool::drool:

I downloaded it, listened to it twice, and found it just as unexciting as I initially thought it would be. I mean, if you listen to as much music as I do, you'd realize that this album is just a whole lot of generic rock with that all too familiar U2 twist--mostly simple melodies and chord progressions made pretty with overused guitar reverb and shimmering percussion. There were just a couple of standout songs, but even they don't belong in the greatest U2 songs of all time. Take "Magnificent", for example. The consensus is this song could belong to any pre-UF album. Why is this a good thing? I mean, I somewhat liked it, but it doesn't really scream genius. Rather, it's just an updated October offering that perhaps awakens a certain nostalgia, sort of like what The Strokes did for punk/garage rock when they released Is This It.

The whole album is just a candidate for "Guilty Pleasure of the Year" for me, nothing more. Best U2 album? No. Good U2 album? Sure, why not? The salvation of rock music? Not so much.

I downloaded it, listened to it twice, and found it just as unexciting as I initially thought it would be. I mean, if you listen to as much music as I do, you'd realize that this album is just a whole lot of generic rock with that all too familiar U2 twist--mostly simple melodies and chord progressions made pretty with overused guitar reverb and shimmering percussion. There were just a couple of standout songs, but even they don't belong in the greatest U2 songs of all time. Take "Magnificent", for example. The consensus is this song could belong to any pre-UF album. Why is this a good thing? I mean, I somewhat liked it, but it doesn't really scream genius. Rather, it's just an updated October offering that perhaps awakens a certain nostalgia, sort of like what The Strokes did for punk/garage rock when they released Is This It.

The whole album is just a candidate for "Guilty Pleasure of the Year" for me, nothing more. Best U2 album? No. Good U2 album? Sure, why not? The salvation of rock music? Not so much.

Im more inclined to feel this way as well, rather than those who seem to think its their best album ever. So far Ive placed the new one around 6th in my favorites list, around ATYCLB. After AB, JT, UF, Pop and Zooropa. My initial impressions generally dont change much over time with U2 albums. Overall, its about what I expected. A few great tunes, lots of average, and oddly none that I hate. The last 2 albums had tracks that I hate with passion, at least this one doesnt have that lol.

Lets be honest did anyone expect you to like it?

It now stands as my 4th favorite, and apparently is getting better with every listen.

When I first heard Achtung Baby I only liked half the album. Now it is by far my favorite album of all time in all genres. This thread is INCREDIBLY premature.

I remember borrowing AB from a friend and trying to listen to it. I was only about 12 years old and was not really into anything but Pearl Jam and Nirvana at the time. I skipped all the songs before they were finished except Mysterious Ways. I thought it was terrible. After about a month of my friend pounding it into my head however I was hooked. It has now reached my if I was stranded on a deserted island and only had one album album.

NLOTH might reach this level but it will take at least a year.

Back
Top Bottom