Is This The Best U2 Album Ever?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Joshua Tree will never be surpassed.

This has a couple of weak numbers that render the whole album less than a "masterpiece", I believe, but I think it will be ranked up there with JT and AB by the critics.

But then JT has a few weak numbers too imo

But then JT has a few weak numbers too imo

Oh boy, we all know most U2 fans are divided as to what the best U2 album is (JT or AB). For me, it's AB, even though there are about three songs that don't really work for me, but the rest is so powerful and in your face, and it actually tells a story, and a good one..IMO

it s up there with their best work.But time will show us! Its very important to choose right singles to represent this masterpiece-my suggestion:

1:magnificent
2.I ll go crazy
3.Moment of surrender-edited
4.Breath
5.Stand up comedy

this album is full of singles-*anthems believe me!

Listening to it now as I type. Just finished UC. First impression is that it is an album of depth. GOYB was not indicative as to what is on this record. However, UC is terribe. MOS is supreme.

lol. I'll put it up there with ATYCLB. It'll take a month or two before I can compare it to the big 2.

Nloth

Is better than AB and JT put together!.If they released AB and JT in one double album it would still be better!.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

I will give it some weeks. But after a listen or two I can say for now it's their best to date. Especially Magnificent has all the best U2 ingredients. It looks like a best of in just one song.

Surprised by Fez/being born and White as snow.

The only song that must grow is in my opinion Cedars of Lebanon. But it's a fine closer...:applaud::applaud::applaud:

I rate it top 3 also. For me Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, NLOTH. Mind you I've only had 3 listens so far so it could well become my favourite with a few more listens. I love that U2 can still excite me after 21 years of listening.

These last few weeks have felt like waiting for Achtung Baby to break on the radio again. The slap in the face feeling I got when hearing the fly for the first time is similar to how I am feeling right now listening to this album.

best U2 album:No
good U2 album: Yes
beats HTDAAB to a bloody pulp and leaves it lying on the flour begging for "Mercy": YES!!

Here's how I see the U2 tower:

TIER ONE - Achtung Baby : Joshua Tree
TIER TWO - Zooropa : War : Pop : Boy
TIER THREE - Unforgettable Fire : Rattle and Hum : October
TIER FOUR - All That You Can't Leave Behind : How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

It's a really close one. Tier two for now but I need more time with some of the songs to identify all of the surprises.

Had two listens.

I am not 'blown' away by it. But I can already see this album has great 'grower' potential.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in my top 3 U2 albums.

Bono's voice is brilliant. I like 95% of his lyrics (best % rate since Pop).

I also like how musically it is all over the shop. Sure, that makes some of it a bit hard to digest on one or two listens, but in time I think this will help sustain the albums longevity.

I can't give it a score out of 5 yet too early, but I do know this: I haven't felt so emotionally connected (hard to explain; but the album has sucked me in, I've never listened so hard to a first time play of an album I own - hope this makes sense) to a U2 album since AB (and I love Pop).

What is U2's best album? and I will tell you if NLOTH is better :wink:

I wouldn't say It's THE best album, but it has that "something" that could make it one of the best U2 albums.

In a few years when we'll post in a "Your Top 5 U2 albums" thread for a 10354th time and NLOTH is among them, that's all that matters :up:

I think its a decent bit of music. Nothing has grabbed me. And I'm not sure it will.

right now I would rank it at #5
1) AB
2) JT
3) UF
4) POP
5) NLOTH/ ZOOROPA
7) ATYCLB
etc

very good effort by the guys. i am not overwhelmed but the fear that it would sck big time turned out to be completley unfounded and it is definately a grower

Back
Top Bottom