Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On first listen this song is a standout, sounds like a classic 80's U2 track.

Street/COBL type of intro, if they get the arrangement right could be a great live song.

Oh my. What a beautifully hypnotic track. I love the way Bono delivers the lyric "Iris". So understated.

Some of their best stuff here.

Bono sings in a deep register, great production and signals a turning point in the album where the remaining songs take on an angrier darker tone. Maybe intentionally placed considering the subject matter?

spectacular song... travels beautifully, dreamy, heart-wrenching, but uplifting somehow, perfect :heart:

Catchy song, it immediately feels familiar; Sounds like a less cheesy follow-up to COBL. Looking forward to hearing this live!

Does not do much for me. U2 by the numbers. COBL/Magnificent/Streets part 4. Don't hate it, but forgettable, so far.

This is a great example of quality production. It could have easily been a paint by numbers U2 but having Adam and Larry so prominent in the mix makes it very fresh. Probably my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Given the subject matter, I was expecting a low-key number, a la "One Step Closer," but WOW was I wrong. LOVE the song. One of the best in the album, IMHO. So much emotion and power, and beautiful lyrics. This will be amazing live :hyper:

First impression was "This is a U2 song" which is a good thing considering the song that follows it on the album.

It caught me listening and didn't want to let go. This will be a live standard. The emotion shows in every part.

I like it. I like the backing vocals and how Bono sings and the rhythm. good tune.

Am I the only one who thinks that this song could have been on Boy? I don't think there is a song since 1984 that I could say that about but Iris seems like it would fit on that album.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Anyone looking for the big song on the record...here it is. Fucking beautiful. The transition at around 3:40...the way Edge's guitar riff comes in after Bono says "you took me by the hand" is brilliant...incredible dynamic.

Anyone looking for the big song on the record...here it is. Fucking beautiful. The transition at around 3:40...the way Edge's guitar riff comes in after Bono says "you took me by the hand" is brilliant...incredible dynamic.

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

A bit bland and indirect, for a band who's back catalogue already features a selection of Father and Son songs.

I don't really know where to post this, but I have to post it. Iris hits really close to home, I lost my mother in May, and I really needed this album. It has given me a joy I haven't had in a while. So glad to have the band back, and still being able to connect to their music emotionally. Thank you U2

Back
Top Bottom