Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Therein lies the great misunderstanding I believe. I think you are thinking that people are firing up at you because they think you don't like the new album. No offence, but I don't give two fucks whether you like it or not. What people are taking exception to is ridiculously repetitive claims that Edge is done, the TCB solo is boring and 70s. You're making foie gras - you're the farmer, we're the geese. Take the tube out of our mouths, and stop force-feeding us your repetitive, unhealthy, fattening nonsense.

If it is such nonsense, I wonder about your need to comment on it repeatedly :wave:

If it is such nonsense, I wonder about your need to comment on it repeatedly :wave:
TO BE FAIR... this is a U2 discussion forum, and debate typically stems from a shared communication of ideas that each of us may or may not agree with :dance: For the most part, we try to keep these discussions civil :wave:

I´m afraid they are too busy with playing the mediocre stuff from the album as... Cedarwood... :)
die in a fire u son of a bitch :mad:

When Bono discussed Iris on The Late Late show, he seemed to be a bit uncomfortable with the fact that it was released with such personal lyrics. I'm wondering if we won't be hearing this song much live, it might be too much for Bono to perform. I hope I'm wrong as I think it's the best track on the album, tied with EBW.

When Bono discussed Iris on The Late Late show, he seemed to be a bit uncomfortable with the fact that it was released with such personal lyrics. I'm wondering if we won't be hearing this song much live, it might be too much for Bono to perform. I hope I'm wrong as I think it's the best track on the album, tied with EBW.

"Iris standing in the hall, she tells me I can do it all"

^Everytime I hear that line it brakes MY voice... I wonder how Bono (would) manages to keep singing it.

Well they played Sometimes You Can't Make it almost every night on Vertigo, so I think this one is a no brainer!

It has the potential to be really special in the live environment.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"Iris standing in the hall, she tells me I can do it all"

^Everytime I hear that line it brakes MY voice... I wonder how Bono (would) manages to keep singing it.

It just breaks your voice? You're lucky. I cry like a baby ever time I hear that line.

I also cry when I hear "You're a pocket of sunshine", but for much different reasons.

It's curious how we as fans can discuss this song so dispassionately while knowing in our hearts the meaning of it. It makes me wonder how callous life has made me. So if Bono can't sing it live because he will cry every time? Ya know he did give us a recording of his pain. And yet we ask for more. When I see U2 again I will not care if I hear this song...I will have experienced this song. And why would I want to see some grown man cry like a baby?

Actually, scratch that. We need a whole Bono's Mom part of the show. We'll just go chronologically:

Tomorrow
Mofo
Lemon
Iris

Boom. Awesomeness in one compact package.

I think that Bono was able to deal with his relationship with his father as he has stated they were quite close at the end of his father's life. So while it is surely emotional to sing about this relationship, it wasn't perhaps as raw and unfinished as the one with his mother. It's going to be tough for Bono to sing Iris live, that's certain. And that vocal run of "mum" songs - whooee! I don't think he could have done it even 30 years ago!

It would be Lemon then Mofo, but to go from Mofo to Iris would be more abrupt. Maybe you subconsciously flipped it because it works better. ;)

I'm going to go back and watch that Late Late Show interview (one of my top 2 from the promo tour so far) if someone knows the count where Iris comes up? Edge recently stated in the Jef Neve Belgian interview w/ Adam that a week or two before they released SOI he helped Bono with the Iris lyric by encouraging him to be more revealing... It is also the only insight we've had as to how/why Edge is credited with the lyrics for the first time ever. Intriguing... Perhaps Edge had to go there w/ Bono to get to the emotional place where these songs lived. Powerful stuff!

This is not the first time Edge has been credited for lyrics. I'm not sure why people keep saying this.

This is not the first time Edge has been credited for lyrics. I'm not sure why people keep saying this.
I don't recall any time he's been credited on every song of an album. Which album/(s) is Edge credited for lyrics on other than SOI?

I'm hoping that the subject matter of this beautiful song and the album theme of Bono's adolescence means we may get to hear Tomorrow on tour? A version with Uilleann pipes would be :drool:
I can dream.

Pull out your Pop liner notes...

Excellent! Thank you! I asked friends who've been uber U2 fans longer than I have and they couldn't recall. Pop is in my top 5 albums, so this is quite intriguing. Pop has excellent lyrics through and through and now so does SOI. Hmmmm...

Can't imagine this one not being played live on next tour. Best song on SOI. And the best U2 song in the last 15 years.

It is a good song that keeps getting better the more I play it.

I'm still shocked that my favorite song on the album was produced by Tedder and Epworth.

And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When

Oh and I'm not a fan of the 'hold me close' singing parts. The parenthesis in the title is so unnecessary too! They should have just titled it as "Iris".[/QUOTE]

My guess is that U2 added the parenthesis as they didn't want to have their song confused with The Goo Goo Dolls track "Iris". Anyone remember the movie "City Of Angels"?

Back
Top Bottom