Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no man, i'm serious. my cousin loves EDM and always plays it, and i know i've heard those notes before. same rhythm, same intervals, hell it could even be the same exact words.

You have nailed it on the head mate :) It is those exact three notes at 1:22 which are in the calvin harris song under control.

Also around the 2:40-3:05 region the notes remind me of summer by calvin harris.

no man, i'm serious. my cousin loves EDM and always plays it, and i know i've heard those notes before. same rhythm, same intervals, hell it could even be the same exact words.

Do you know how many songs in the history of music we can say use the same 3 note crescendo or descent? You should know better. I understand your rhythm argument, but come on...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Do you know how many songs in the history of music we can say use the same 3 note crescendo or descent? You should know better. I understand your rhythm argument, but come on...

never said it was an EDM-only melody. i only said it instantly and strongly reminded me of a dance song. and i'm not the only one.

It's the hair. I feel pretty sure about this. ;)

Also, Adam is getting some props for his playing in the reviews I've seen. He sounds the best he has since Actung Baby.

Whatever it is - the groove on this record is incredible.

I keep coming back to this song. Larry's drumming reminds me of him during the live version on A Sort Of Homecoming in the UF doc and In Gods Country in Rattle and Hum. Double hi hats = signature Larry.

Is it Chris Martin on backing vocals?

U2 birthed Killers, Muse. I feel a blowback influence from both on this track.

Anyone else hearing the beginning refrain from 'tomorrow' from October recreated at the start of the song? Or is it just me??

If they had released this song and you had to pay for it, this could have been a really really big hit. The lyrics and the chord structure, everything is brilliant.
Easy number one.

I have the strong feeling that this song comes from the club album sessions with Guetta and RedOne... It's really powerful, could be a huge single, probably the song in that album that has the most potential as such in this album.

I don't get why some people say it's U2 by numbers. The chorus especially is extremely interesting and original.

It's stuck in my head, the way bono sings iris

I have the strong feeling that this song comes from the club album sessions with Guetta and RedOne... It's really powerful, could be a huge single, probably the song in that album that has the most potential as such in this album.

I don't get why some people say it's U2 by numbers. The chorus especially is extremely interesting and original.

U2 had sessions with guetta and red one? wow , when?
That explains a lot.

Iris says that I will be the death of her
It was not me

Something many mothers say to their children. A bittersweet twist on the exclamation.

It was not me

Those lines, along with hold me like I'm someone you might know put a catch in my throat every time. They pretty regularly bring a tear to my eye, too.

After a few days of compulsive listening, I can honestly say this is the first album since AB where I simply cannot pick a standout favorite track. There are one or two (California & This Is Where You Can Reach Me) that I'm ambivalent about for the time being, but the rest is so good - in so many different ways! - that I can't pick any one over the others. This album was absolutely worth the wait. :up: :love:

It was not me

Something many mothers say to their children. A bittersweet twist on the exclamation.

Exactly. Very chilling lyric. Also, "Iris playing on the strand" reminds me of something I read that a cousin of Bono's recently found some old family movies of Iris when she was a teenager playing on the beach with family members and sent it to Bono who was apprehensive about watching it. He said when he did he couldn't believe how beautiful and lively she was. I'm sure that movie influenced this song in some way.

This is quickly becoming a favorite.

If anything on the record is the most 'classic U2 in 2014', which the emphasis on the 'classic U2' but without any compromise on the '2014', this is it.

Same band that made Boy, TUF, Achtung. It's all here. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom