Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really know where to post this, but I have to post it. Iris hits really close to home, I lost my mother in May, and I really needed this album. It has given me a joy I haven't had in a while. So glad to have the band back, and still being able to connect to their music emotionally. Thank you U2

I think there will be many who can relate in some way or another. Myself included.

"She said free yourself to be yourself, If only you could see yourself."

Am I the only one who thinks that this song could have been on Boy? I don't think there is a song since 1984 that I could say that about but Iris seems like it would fit on that album.

Definitely! though Raised as Wolves even moreso :p

interesting juxtaposition, Edge's guitarwork is very UF/JT but I get more of a dark AB vibe from Adam.

also love that little piano melody that comes in a couple times. I'm feeling a bit Killers (back when they were good) from this as well.

I don't really know where to post this, but I have to post it. Iris hits really close to home, I lost my mother in May, and I really needed this album. It has given me a joy I haven't had in a while. So glad to have the band back, and still being able to connect to their music emotionally. Thank you U2

I think there will be many who can relate in some way or another. Myself included.

"She said free yourself to be yourself, If only you could see yourself."

Me too. I have had a very similar experience in my life. It's a touching and strong song. Kudos to Bono for getting so personal. I honestly didn't expect him to write about this very personal episode in his life in such a way.

At first this one, in context, seemed a bit bland and by the numbers. Flat. But that was on PC/headphones.

Now I'm blasting it at threatening volume in the media room and it works! A different beast alltogether. Adam shines bright. Goosebumps all over. Everytime. That understated chorus almost had me shed a tear... geez...

Sure it it's classic U2 stuff, but I love them for letting it be just that. :applaud:Sometimes it's wonderful to float along. My DNA responds really nicely to this one.

Me too. I have had a very similar experience in my life. It's a touching and strong song. Kudos to Bono for getting so personal. I honestly didn't expect him to write about this very personal episode in his life in such a way.

What I like about it too is that it totally get's the point across but without being over the top or meandering.

It's so hard to rate this album, when the songs could be completely different live. For example, if the distorted harmony vocals are extrapolated upon during performances this song could definitely become my number 1.

From Rolling Stone -

5. "Iris (Hold Me Close)"
Produced by: Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder
The most emotionally raw song on the album, "Iris" confronts Bono's loss of his mother, who passed away after collapsing at his grandfather's funeral when he was only 14. Bono sings about "the ache in my heart" that "is so much part of who I am." U2's first hit "I Will Follow," from 1980's Boy, and "Tomorrow," from 1981's October, are also about Bono's mother, Iris Hewson, but "Iris" is from the perspective of a man in his fifties looking back at a mother who has been gone for four decades, and how her loss has shaped his life. "Hold me close," he sings. "I've got your life inside me."

Funny how I was worried about Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder and yet they make the most u2 sounding song on the record.

From Rolling Stone -

5. "Iris (Hold Me Close)"
Produced by: Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder
The most emotionally raw song on the album, "Iris" confronts Bono's loss of his mother, who passed away after collapsing at his grandfather's funeral when he was only 14. Bono sings about "the ache in my heart" that "is so much part of who I am." U2's first hit "I Will Follow," from 1980's Boy, and "Tomorrow," from 1981's October, are also about Bono's mother, Iris Hewson, but "Iris" is from the perspective of a man in his fifties looking back at a mother who has been gone for four decades, and how her loss has shaped his life. "Hold me close," he sings. "I've got your life inside me."

Funny how I was worried about Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder and yet they make the most u2 sounding song on the record.

:up::up::up::up:

This one tried way too hard to be too many things. It tries to be old school U2 and what constitutes rock on the radio right now. Some of the music is alright if you ignore the aping of Unforgettable Fire but I'm not a fan of the lyric at first blush or the vocal melody. This is pretty much what I feared from Tedder and Epworth being involved. I'm not going to slag Bono for the topic, but given the pantheon of other songs he wrote on the topic of his mother, this doesn't measure up. "I Will Follow", "Tomorrow", "Mofo", etc. are all certified U2 classics.

We got a cool EP out of the second half of this album though.

Not quite feeling this track yet. I mean, it's decent. Safe. U2 by U2 a la Walk On and Magnificent. Meh.

Still on my first listen but this is the one, so far. Like, The One. Bono starts out in exactly that low full register that we talked about so many times, very reminiscent of Oh Berlin or Ultraviolet. :faint: And as someone else said, Adam does sound very dark and aggressive, a la Achtung Baby.

This is a real stand-out for me. Not single material... But akin to one of those AB tracks like Ultraviolet that really bolstered the album.

Very emotional, very 'Unforgettable Fire' in its sound. Edge's guitars are so 80's it's shocking.

Wow, that's a weird description...

it's a completely baffling description, lol. how does this sound remotely EDM other than the fact that it has a catchy melody? (which, by that logic, The Beatles must also be EDM wannabes...) this song is undeniably U2. if anything, EDM is trying to sound like U2 - ever heard Save The World by Swedish House Mafia? that song has U2 written all over it. someone even did a mashup of it with Streets, pretty legit

but i digress. Iris is awesome.

it's a completely baffling description, lol. how does this sound remotely EDM other than the fact that it has a catchy melody?

the song sounds like under control by calvin harris

i knew i wasn't the only one...

One: the tempo is straight out of EDM.

Two: about 1:22 in, drums stop, and Bono sings "Hold me clooose," using three notes that I swear I have heard in more than one EDM song. Then, we get a slow buildup with bass drum and 16th-note high-hat - straight out of EDM. Finally, of course, the drop, with four-on-the-floor bass drum. The EDM feel is undeniable here.

This entire break repeats at 2:35, predictably, like any dance song.

Three: at about 3:36, there is another pause for four measures, and then only guitar and high-hat come in. they are practically beating us over the head with it now. at 4:00, bass drum and bass guitar come in for another slow buildup. thankfully, they come back in a much more subtle way. but the drums drop, again, shortly after, with Bono continuing to sing over the rhythmic guitar and backing vocals.

despite this ridiculous EDM influence, the lyrics are great, and Edge adds nice texture. kudos to the band for continuing to branch out musically, but i think they picked the wrong tree here.

i knew i wasn't the only one...

One: the tempo is straight out of EDM.

Two: about 1:22 in, drums stop, and Bono sings "Hold me clooose," using three notes that I swear I have heard in more than one EDM song. Then, we get a slow buildup with bass drum and 16th-note high-hat - straight out of EDM. Finally, of course, the drop, with four-on-the-floor bass drum. The EDM feel is undeniable here.

This entire break repeats at 2:35, predictably, like any dance song.

Three: at about 3:36, there is another pause for four measures, and then only guitar and high-hat come in. they are practically beating us over the head with it now. at 4:00, bass drum and bass guitar come in for another slow buildup. thankfully, they come back in a much more subtle way. but the drums drop, again, shortly after, with Bono continuing to sing over the rhythmic guitar and backing vocals.

despite this ridiculous EDM influence, the lyrics are great, and Edge adds nice texture. kudos to the band for continuing to branch out musically, but i think they picked the wrong tree here.

Yeah, basically what you said hahaha (I am not very musically gifted).
At some point I get a bit of summer by calvin harris as well but only faintly.
There is definite EDM influences but I like it. Shows that u2 can hold up with the new kids. I reckon iris had the potential to be a commercial success.

Come on, you know as a musician that this is complete bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

no man, i'm serious. my cousin loves EDM and always plays it, and i know i've heard those notes before. same rhythm, same intervals, hell it could even be the same exact words.

I think my only complaint about the song is that I wish it didn't follow Song For Someone on the album, because I think the choruses are too similar (the rising notes on "Hold me close" vs "this is a song").

that being said, it's really growing on me. Very moving and lovely.

Back
Top Bottom