Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I didn't like the chorus, the way it pulls up short with "hold me close." It feels like it should soar there (although could have run the risk of being too similar to the chorus of Song For Someone).

But now I like that it pulls back, like Bono is reaching for her ... only to remember she's not there.

At first I didn't like the chorus, the way it pulls up short with "hold me close." It feels like it should soar there (although could have run the risk of being too similar to the chorus of Song For Someone).

But now I like that it pulls back, like Bono is reaching for her ... only to remember she's not there.

Excellent observation...:applaud:

i feel like this more than any other song sums up what U2 is about. it has elements of every era. the verse bass and vocals are very dark AB style, and Edge's guitarwork is classic mid/late 80s Edge. the prechorus and bridge are examples of what 00s U2 does best, while the "woo woo woo iris" is really reminiscent of early 80's U2. And the song is about what drove Bono to be in a band in the first place. If SOI has one eternal classic, this is it.

i feel like this more than any other song sums up what U2 is about. it has elements of every era. the verse bass and vocals are very dark AB style, and Edge's guitarwork is classic mid/late 80s Edge. the prechorus and bridge are examples of what 00s U2 does best, while the "woo woo woo iris" is really reminiscent of early 80's U2. And the song is about what drove Bono to be in a band in the first place. If SOI has one eternal classic, this is it.

You forgot the revival of Larry's trademark 80's drumming style which is probably the most important part of the song

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really like how Bono sings the "Iris" hook, in a lower voice. I find him more emotional a singer when he's not overemoting, like in Miracle and EBW. A high note does not always equal drama.

free yourself to be yourself, if only you could see yourself

God, that slays me every time.

I love the backing vocals, they're like the spirit of Iris embracing Bono.

This song is actually what I hoped Magnificent would sound like after I heard the beach clip.

free yourself to be yourself, if only you could see yourself

God, that slays me every time.

I love the backing vocals, they're like the spirit of Iris embracing Bono.

Agreed on the backing vox.

However, I'd have to say, the "free yourself" part didn't need to be there. I think the song says enough without it.

i love this song, and i pray they perform it live...my mom died five months ago, so it really moves me when i hear it....although i could live without all the "woo-woo's" in the chorus, LOLOL

I'm sorry to hear that. Great that U2 are there for you. They're good at being there when needed.

Glad to see the love for this song. This is the first song that really jumped out at me and hasn't gotten any weaker in my eyes. While "Reach Around" is my favorite song on the album and has become an all time classic in my eyes, this song is not far behind, probably hits more on an emotional level than any song on the album.

Bono really channels his UF self on this song especially with how he delivers "Iris".

This song has grown on me more than any other song aside for SFS. This is a really good song from start to finish, can't wait to hear it live!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I really like how Bono sings the "Iris" hook, in a lower voice. I find him more emotional a singer when he's not overemoting, like in Miracle and EBW. A high note does not always equal drama.

:up:
The "Iiiiiris" part is the part that give me more chills.
The same to when he sings (yes, in a higher register, but still) "she buries the boy beneath the sand, Iris says that I will be the death of her it was not me"

I must admit a thousand times that this can eventually be the most U2-esque with tones of U2-isms (and that it usually irritates me) but they really nailed it, specially Bono and for so, I almost forget all that and "Iris" is the song I appreciate more from them in ages and ages.

Bono really channels his UF self on this song especially with how he delivers "Iris".

Well said. When I talk to my friends who some of are only your average type listener, they have all stated that Iris and EBW are their favorite tracks from SOI. Unanimously they give the reason that these 2 songs sound most like U2.

My first rating of this song was a 5.5/10. After a few days it was a 6/10. After a month or so,7/10.

This song really is fabulous and might soon be an 8/10 for me.

Line that hits me the most.... "I thought that I was leading you but it was you made me your man machine. I dream where you are"!!

Can some one enlighten me on the "Man Machine" as. I believe it's a 70s album but what was it about? I think of it as she made him a man and then he merges his second thought of "man machine I dream where you are" into the line, which I take as him reflecting back and dreaming.

Would love for some peoples thoughts on that.

My first rating of this song was a 5.5/10. After a few days it was a 6/10. After a month or so,7/10.

This song really is fabulous and might soon be an 8/10 for me.

Line that hits me the most.... "I thought that I was leading you but it was you made me your man machine. I dream where you are"!!

Can some one enlighten me on the "Man Machine" as. I believe it's a 70s album but what was it about? I think of it as she made him a man and then he merges his second thought of "man machine I dream where you are" into the line, which I take as him reflecting back and dreaming.

Would love for some peoples thoughts on that.

That's one of the richest parts, indeed. :up:
I personally like it because I can read it in two different ways, depending on where you put the marks. It's implicit that Bono intentionally reffers Kraftwerk's The Man-Machine, but in the lyrics, you can listen to it together («...you made me your Man Machine. I dream where you are...») or split («...you made me your man. Machine, I dream where you are...»). That's creative and interesting.
It's like you could think straight in The Man-Machine or instead/simultaneously in a machine that makes dream where he was a boy and Iris turned him into a man, or something like that.

Great song. On a musical level, one of the most complex song structures that I've heard from the band. It's a wonderfully melancholy tune, but it's got that lift at the beginning with the pre-chorus that doesn't return. Verse, chorus, Bridge? Tag. " Iris waiting on the strand..." Is basically a chorus but it's completely different. Crazy weird background vocal ooh's on this are great.

If songs of experience has just one song that hits home emotionally like this I'll be more than happy

I'm sort of frustrated with myself because... I still don't like this song as much as everybody else seems to be enjoying it.

It's the song I like the least in the album, I think it's mainly because of this:

At first I didn't like the chorus, the way it pulls up short with "hold me close." It feels like it should soar there

I feel like he should be showing as much emotion as he shows in the EBW live performances, I feel the song it's too bland, specially the first half of the song because I actually like the second part (the "Iris standing in the hall...").

Oh well. I still like it but I feel like it fells short of what could've been (for me).

I feel like he should be showing as much emotion as he shows in the EBW live performances, I feel the song it's too bland, specially the first half of the song because I actually like the second part (the "Iris standing in the hall...").

Oh well. I still like it but I feel like it fells short of what could've been (for me).

Jesus, no! It is absolutely perfect as it is. No more over the top hysterical EBW Adele version singing, please.

Great song. On a musical level, one of the most complex song structures that I've heard from the band. It's a wonderfully melancholy tune, but it's got that lift at the beginning with the pre-chorus that doesn't return. Verse, chorus, Bridge? Tag. " Iris waiting on the strand..." Is basically a chorus but it's completely different. Crazy weird background vocal ooh's on this are great.

That little pre-chorus is interesting. It's not my favorite part of the song, but it definitely shows songcraft - they knew that had to hold the chorus, so they invented a little bit to serve their purpose. And it never returns because they don't do need it again. Clever.

That little pre-chorus is interesting. It's not my favorite part of the song, but it definitely shows songcraft - they knew that had to hold the chorus, so they invented a little bit to serve their purpose. And it never returns because they don't do need it again. Clever.

Or they actually had the "something in your times" part repeat itself originally after the 2nd verse as well but felt the song was getting too repetitive. Solution: Pro Tools, delete this section. Done

Back
Top Bottom