Invisible...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it still have that horrendous "there is no them" outro?

Now he sings
"... There is no You, its only me... There is no U , its only me!
Me... me... me and the edge!

There is no U, its only meeeee... There is no U , its only meeeee!
Me... me... meeeee and the Eeeeedge! "

It seems he is still doing promo work with the Edge only.
Larry and Adam went on vacation (gain)

I still can't get behind this song. I love how propulsive the opening feels, and Edge's guitar tone is the most interesting sound I've heard from him in years.

But the stop-and-start drum pattern that shows up in the verses and then permeates the choruses ruins the song's momentum for me. And the big chorus full of chiming guitar and Bono's whiny shouting tone bores me. The band on autopilot. Mostly I think Larry needs to break out of his usual drumming patterns, which I'm not sure how to characterize - but I know em when I hear em

I still can't get behind this song. I love how propulsive the opening feels, and Edge's guitar tone is the most interesting sound I've heard from him in years.

But the stop-and-start drum pattern that shows up in the verses and then permeates the choruses ruins the song's momentum for me. And the big chorus full of chiming guitar and Bono's whiny shouting tone bores me. The band on autopilot. Mostly I think Larry needs to break out of his usual drumming patterns, which I'm not sure how to characterize - but I know em when I hear em

I like the song a lot. The problem of it is it doesn´t know what it wants to be. Is it fast temp retro punk as the verses and chorus hint? Or is it a ballad as Edge´s sliding guitar riff and the outro There is no them points out?

If this was released on The Joshua Tree, it'd be universally considered the greatest song ever written, not even debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If this was released on The Joshua Tree, it'd be universally considered the greatest song ever written, not even debatable.

100724-stop-posting.jpg

Now he sings
"... There is no You, its only me... There is no U , its only me!
Me... me... me and the edge!

There is no U, its only meeeee... There is no U , its only meeeee!
Me... me... meeeee and the Eeeeedge! "

:lol:

I actually love 'there is no them, it's only me, it's only us.' It's a pretty great synopsis of the band, IMO.

Or is it a ballad as Edge´s sliding guitar riff and the outro There is no them points out?

Great point, reminds me of other classic U2 ballads such as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet, and The Fly. I don't know what these other people have been hearing, I hear a lot of The First Time and WOWY in this song.

It's still my favourite of the new songs, save for The Troubles maybe.

I love it so much, it's everything I ever wanted from them. Dumbfounded they didn't put it on the album, but as long as they play it live, I'll be okay.

It's still my favourite of the new songs, save for The Troubles maybe.

I love it so much, it's everything I ever wanted from them. Dumbfounded they didn't put it on the album, but as long as they play it live, I'll be okay.

:up:

I liked it fine when it came out, but this song just "hit" me recently. Really hope they play it live too.

Very disappointed that the band didn't put extra work into "Invisible." I'd dare say that the "Red Edit" is the better version. There's not enough variation going on to justify the longer length. That synth just doesn't work. Fun chorus, though, like "Window in the Skies"; typical post-'90s U2. Nothing amazing, but inspiring during a gym work out.

I'm so glad they included the full version on the album even if it is just on the deluxe version and unlisted. It really seems to have great potential live in concert. I mean if you don't care for watch the RED video and/or commercial for it from the Super Bowl again. It will really pump people up live Elevation style.

Does anybody know it is it credited in the CD booklet?
It's not credited at all. No lyrics or production credits -- like it's not there.

Very disappointed that the band didn't put extra work into "Invisible." I'd dare say that the "Red Edit" is the better version. There's not enough variation going on to justify the longer length. That synth just doesn't work. Fun chorus, though, like "Window in the Skies"; typical post-'90s U2. Nothing amazing, but inspiring during a gym work out.

Agree with you on some things here. I really like the song. But it seems like to get the longer version they did a quick Copy-Paste job to lengthen it. There are no new riffs/vocals/anything.

I agree with this. I'm just getting around to hearing the song this weekend, and it's good-ish, but nothing special. Honestly, I think U2 can write pop songs like this in their sleep. I also thought of 'Window in the Skies' when I heard it -- nice catchy melody, tasteful arrangement, Larry/Adam on autopilot, and somehow the end result is U2-by-Numbers blandness.

For this reason, I think I can see why it's not on SOI. Most of the new album's songs strike me as more challenging -- even though some of them ('Vocano', 'Cedarwood Road', 'California') aren't as "good" as Invisible, they're all more interesting sonically.

Where do you place it on SOI? I think it works great as an intro but also matches well with Crystal Ballroom.

I have TCB between Miracle and EBW.
LH between Volcano and Wolves.
And Invisible between SLABT and Reach Me Now.
LH and Invisible fit like a glove in there.

Thematically, Invisible, This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, the Miracle, and Lucifer's Hands all work together.

I agree with this. I'm just getting around to hearing the song this weekend, and it's good-ish, but nothing special. Honestly, I think U2 can write pop songs like this in their sleep. I also thought of 'Window in the Skies' when I heard it -- nice catchy melody, tasteful arrangement, Larry/Adam on autopilot, and somehow the end result is U2-by-Numbers blandness.

For this reason, I think I can see why it's not on SOI. Most of the new album's songs strike me as more challenging -- even though some of them ('Vocano', 'Cedarwood Road', 'California') aren't as "good" as Invisible, they're all more interesting sonically.

Adam and Larry aren't on autopilot. Musically the song is a tribute to Joy Division, and for that reason should have been on the album. There are the Clash and Ramones songs, Sleep Like A Baby paraphrases Kraftwerk, and there really ought to be Joy Division on there since U2 sounded more like them than anyone else. But I guess they've been paying tribute to Joy Division for their entire career, so maybe it would be redundant. I think it's more interesting than California than California, too.

Back
Top Bottom