Interesting Tidbit on Cedars of Lebanon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moiner06

The Fly
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but read over the weekend that Bob Marley passed away at "Cedars of Lebanon" hospital in 1981.

Bob Marley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wonder if there will be any connection to Bob in the song.

P.S. If this has been mentioned before, please disregard and close. THX!

Not sure how it would be relevant to the song, as it's about a war correspondent. I think the term Cedar refers to someone in Lebanon who takes sides with a particular political party.

But that is some neat trivia.

I knew that much, but I thought "Cedar" also had some political connotation. I can't seem to verify that, though, so maybe I'm just blowing smoke....

Maybe we'll find out when the song comes out...can't wait :)

I was hoping it referred to the 2006 Israeli massacre and how US war correspondents embedded in Israel only took the side of America's Cold War ally.

It could also be a Bible cite, the expression Cedars of Lebanon is used there, so I expect a cross-reference for religion and politics.

I think this is where he got it from. The phrase "Cedars of Lebanon" is found as is or referenced to at least 10 times in the Scriptures.

BibleGateway - Quick search: Cedars of Lebanon

However, Bono's lyrics with this album seem to have Biblical imagery/concepts/wisdom mixed in with modern stuff, so there could be multiple angles to the song. For example, GOYB has Jeremiah-like wisdom, etc., then has the phrase sexy boots.

The Bob Marley thing could have something to it to, as Bono is a big fan.

This song's ending interests me. I thought i read in another thread a while back that there's a twist at the end of the album. Also if i remember correctly one of the reviewers from zootopia says there's a rather abrupt ending. Since the person telling the story in the song is a war correspondent, perhaps the ending may be a gunshot wound to the head?? That would be a messed up way to end the album.

Solomon built his famous temple (which housed the Ark of the Covenant) with the cedars of Lebanon.

The Bob Marley reference could be simply because it's the last song on the album. I remember in an interview hearing Bono saying that they try to make the last songs on their albums sound like Bob Marley songs - simple but spiritual (i.e., '40, Yahweh, Grace, etc)

This song's ending interests me. I thought i read in another thread a while back that there's a twist at the end of the album. Also if i remember correctly one of the reviewers from zootopia says there's a rather abrupt ending. Since the person telling the story in the song is a war correspondent, perhaps the ending may be a gunshot wound to the head?? That would be a messed up way to end the album.

You talk about your downer endings. Also, I wasn't expecting a twist of the plot variety...

I ate a Shish Taouk pita at a restaurant called Cedars of Lebannon the other day. I wonder if that song will have a reference to the gas I had afterwards.

j/k

You never know, really.. Bono's a big Marley fan, and his speech at Bob Marley's R&R HoF induction ceremony was nothing short of legendary:

News: Bono Inducts Bob Marley into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

But this album's main influence is supposedly mid-Eastern, so I think a Carribean link might be a stretch. Then again, Bono rhymed Submarine and Gasoline...

Last edited:

And the last thing we hear is Steve Perry singing "DOOON'T STOP!" then bam, album ends.

Back
Top Bottom