Interesting Hotpress editor comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miracle Drug should have been replaced by Mercy!!!! :applaud:

Had to do it guys!! I can't think of another song that has polarized the U2 crowd more than this one!

some people always say that some fans would even love it if U2 released a recording of them farting into the microphone
funny enough these people would love the sound of the band burping into the microphone as long as they don't officially release it

Hahahaha, what a TERRIBLE/RIDICULOUS song title!

Anyways, the country part sounds kind of sketchy to me... unless it is something similar to the Bono/Coors "When the Stars Go Blue," because that wasn't that bad. But, I hope that that was just a listing of random genres to exemplify the diversity of the songs on the record, because while I'm fine with everything else that was listed, I'm not too sure about country.

trip through your wires country??? maybe the harmonica is back

derrick........just wanted to say that i have a larger version of your avatar hanging in my bar area at home. nice taste:wave:

I'd say White Album but I can easily say Achtung Baby.
We've got a bit of techno, a 50's-styled ballad, eastern riffs, soulful ballads, dance, grungy rock etc.

I would also claim "Pop" is quite ecclectic. It features techno (or techno-dance), Beatle-esque songs, classic U2, and some experimental U2. Granted, all are very "rock" songs, but quite a range in that rock category. R&H has this as well. HTDAAB also featured more styles than ATYCLB, but not nearly as many as the albums mentioned. So if people enjoy the mix on R&H, AB and "Pop", then I think they will on NLOTH too.

Ultimately, it's always about the quality of the songs. Good songs always sound great, regardless of genre.

I think overall, BOMB had some over-the-top songs that were heads and shoulders over many, (many) other bands even best efforts, though entirely overproduced in hindsight.

There is nothing quite wrong with, say, Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Crumbs, or All Because Of You, there was just too much "right".

That said, it was still a better album than most put out, and still had some nice tracks. I dont think theres a single thing wrong with "Sometimes", imo. The songs you are all excited about on Horizon will mostly falter after many listens, and you will be stuck with only a handfull of tracks that you all will individually enjoy. This is how it goes with one's favorite band - they often become incredibly immersed and critical without proper context.

i will be interested to hear some hype from press and/or personalities that have no pre-existing or close relationship with the band. isn't Hot Press always in U2's camp to some degree? notwithstanding, those comments are really good to hear.
That's what I'm waiting for too. I take these kind of reports with a pinch of salt. U2 and Niall Stokes have been close buddies since 1977.

I don't know...... Danny Lanois is a pretty positive guy and I don't doubt that he'd speak well of any musical project he works on....but I like his work, and I like his judgment, so I really have a hard time not taking his word.

..."'Get On Your Boots' is a great opening salvo from what is a brilliant album," Hot Press editor Niall Stokes commented. "No Line On The Horizon is a huge record, full of big songs, powerful riffs and superb musicianship. It's more musically diverse that any U2 album since Rattle And Hum, mixing hard rock, psychedelia, pop, electronica, dance, folk, country, spiritual music and orchestral shadings in what is a fantastically heady brew. It will certainly challenge U2 fans, but my guess is that they'll ultimately be inspired. It's going to be a massive record. I can't wait to hear the songs live."

Ireland leads the way with new U2 album

Hmm...
Hard Rock - Vertigo, All Because of You
Pop - SYCMIOYO, Original of the Species
Electronica - Love and Peace or Else
Spiritual - Miracle Drug, Yahweh, Crumbs
(Almost) Psychedelica - One Step Closer ( I know I'm reaching with that one)

Sorry, I admit, I'm just trying to stir things up here. I'm very excited by that list of genres that made their way onto the record. Only thing that scares me is the mention of Country; and that I also have a hard time believing that there is a coherent album in there somewhere (perhaps I just feel that way because Boots has some shades of Vertigo in it).

And judging from all early reports of people who have heard the album; We're going to hear "Dismantle and Hum, Baby!"

These comments from Hotpress excite me, one thing I love about the band is their ability to play within their sound, always sounding like U2 but working in different textures and sounds. ATYCLB was a good example of that- some epic rockers, a good example of country inspired U2- Wild Honey, some ambient- Grace, jazzy (especially live)- Stuck. Different songs for different moods, and one song doesn't blend with the previous.

mixing hard rock, psychedelia, pop, electronica, dance, folk, country, spiritual music and orchestral shadings in what is a fantastically heady brew

Now that's what I want to hear. :drool:

It's based around the idea that men have fucked things up so badly, politically, economically and socially that it's really time we handed things over to women.:love:

Ladies, take it. As a man, I agree, and you ladies can take the steering wheel and drive the planet until the planet ends -- we'd be thankful for it.

In return, as a fair trade, men get to decide the important and technical things like the difference between "picking up the clutter" and "deep cleaning", how often and in what rooms of the house we have intimate relations a.k.a. sex and if it is absolutely necessary to use a turn signal in a "turn only" lane. :wink:

Drool now, but be prepared for the avalanche.
Yes, the song does sound a bit like some of U2's current contemporaries, but those same contemporaries have borrowed so heavily from U2's sound, it's become a mash - is it U2 sounding like them, or U2 really sounding like U2? Either way, I find the song fresh and different from all else out there.

I disagree that the new song sounds like their contemporaries, maybe their previous albums did, especially ATYCLB. GOYB is quite fresh and at least takes U2 in a different direction to bands like Coldplay, which is a real blessing in my view.

I'm not sure what bands you think they sound like e.g. Muse, Manic Street Preachers, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Queens Of The Stone Age? At least that is more exciting than Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol etc.

whoever pointed out miricle drug sucking because of the lyrics hit the nail on the head, thats exactly why it sucks. its so cheesy the crust is stuffed

Back
Top Bottom