instrumental cut left off last album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
I remember reading a bit here where there was talk of an instrumental in consideration for htdaab. I think the source was a fan talking to one of the guys outside the studio. (link anyone?) in the end, it obviously didnt make it. but if we're to see a looser, somewhat more experimental album next time around, maybe this instrumental will see the light of day. especially given that it wasnt released as a b-side, as they've usually done with instrumentals in the past.

just a thought...

Screwtape2 said:
I doubt that another instrument will ever be seen on a U2 album again for one simple reason: Bono likes to talk. Plus, it's about the songs not the overall mood, atmosphere and flow for the band these days.

perhaps Bono sings using his voice as an instrument, as opposed to singing a lyric.

perhaps Bono sings using his voice as an instrument, as opposed to singing a lyric.

Beat-box Bono?

Dorian Gray said:
I remember reading a bit here where there was talk of an instrumental in consideration for htdaab. I think the source was a fan talking to one of the guys outside the studio. (link anyone?) in the end, it obviously didnt make it. but if we're to see a looser, somewhat more experimental album next time around, maybe this instrumental will see the light of day.

an album that slows well together would certainly be a nice change of pace from them trying to write 11 hit songs

The only instrumental I recall hearing about was some vague reference that the album would have "11.5 tracks", with the .5 of a track being an instrumental. I interpreted that as meaning a song with an instrumental passage, or a hidden brief instrumental track at the end. But it could have been a load of bollocks anyway as I don't remember the source - Slow Loris, do you want to own up to this one? :wink:

And if you ask me, U2 used to be very good at instrumentals, especially in the UF era, but they are so stylistically removed from that era now that I'm not confident an instrumental would work well today.

Actually, wasn't the infamous Fake Edge saying there will be 11.5 songs, with the 0.5 being an instrumental?

Axver said:
The only instrumental I recall hearing about was some vague reference that the album would have "11.5 tracks"

Must've been U2SJ's disc with the hidden Mercy.....:hmm:

:wink:

The only point in U2's career that I think they did decent instrumentals was for the Unforgettable Fire sessions. Bass Trap and 60 Seconds In Kingdom Come are both very good to me. Things To Make And Do is the only instrumental not from that era that I enjoy somewhat. Otherwise the rest of them are average at best.

I doubt we will ever see another instrumental other than maybe a hidden track or if they do a box set someday.

I'll bite.

The double album will have plenty of space for instrumentals/experimental stuff.

It was the fake Edge who said there was going to be an instrumental on the album.

Blue Room said:
The only point in U2's career that I think they did decent instrumentals was for the Unforgettable Fire sessions. Bass Trap and 60 Seconds In Kingdom Come are both very good to me. Things To Make And Do is the only instrumental not from that era that I enjoy somewhat. Otherwise the rest of them are average at best.

Alex descends into Hell...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Alex descends into Hell...

"Technically" its not a U2 song. Its only Bono and Edge. It wasnt recorded for or during any album sessions and I only think its slightly above average anyway.

Blue Room said:

"Technically" its not a U2 song. Its only Bono and Edge. It wasnt recorded for or during any album sessions and I only think its slightly above average anyway.

Well it was released as a "U2" song so Larry and Adam own their respective rights...so I guess they scored.:wink:

I'm not a fan of instrumentals in general and this is one of the few I can actually listen to...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well it was released as a "U2" song so Larry and Adam own their respective rights...so I guess they scored.:wink:

I'm not a fan of instrumentals in general and this is one of the few I can actually listen to...

Actually under song writing credit on The Fly single, it only lists Bono and Edge. It doesnt say U2. I believe only Bono and Edge wrote the score to the Clockwork Orange musical. So it wasn't really a U2 project.

I agree though, I'm not a huge fan of instrumentals either. A couple they have done are pretty good to me. But most are average at best.

most of U2's instrumentals sound so boring that Bono probably couldn't be arsed writing any lyrics to accompany it

the Unforgettable Fire efforts being the exception

(Alex descends ... also does nothing for me)

I think it would be interesting to see what kind of instrumentals the current (or upcoming) U2 "era" would produce, even if they aren't that great. In fact, I could go for anything from U2 right now! :crack:

Back
Top Bottom