Insider U2 news!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cool - they would have to be recorded...surely someone had a mobile phone with them to get something:hmm:

what's the big obsession with innovation? since when were U2 really innovative?
the first three albums might sound innovative to anyone unfamiliar with The Clash and Echo and the Bunnymen. The Joshua Tree and UF were somewhat innovative but borrowed heavily from contemporaries and idols alike. the only album which was completely fresh in the sense of the band staying essentially the same ensemble, and still managing to sound almost completely unrecognizable on some songs was Zooropa.
But, is there anything bad about that? No!
It's hard to really innovate in harmony and on song structure level with a pop attitude (i.e. making a breakthrough and still sounding victoriously accessible) after the Beatles and Bach have done so much in a very short time.
U2's strength was always about the combination of a huge heart, direct yet layered song writing, undeniable accessibility, and relatively subtle innovation, mainly on the sound level.

there's a great album that Black Rebel Motorcycle Club released a few years ago, which is called Howl, I doubt that there's anything truely innovative about it. the song structures are pretty much the same, it leans heavily on a combination of 70's folk- and country-rock. but it's got huge soulful melodies, and it sounds brilliantly classic.

innovation doesn't necessarily mean greatness, and greatness doesn't have to depend on innovation.

the only thing that will sound truely shocking to most of the people lamenting the lack of innovation on this forum is if U2 would play only rebabs and sitars and larry will front them mocking cookoo and raven sounds. now, how many of you are really into experimental world-fusion? and those of you who are, can probably name half a dozen artists who are very good at that, so why should we expect an apple to pretend to be an apricot?

i would not be surprised if the album had the same sound as thier last two albums, "atyclb and bomb" especially with the success coldplay has had with the new album i think u2 will stick to this simple sound.(soft,pop rock)
i think they(u2) rather sell alot of records than make something good or challenging.(considering the NEWS is true and not some bs) ok ill go throw up now.

you suck all the happiness out of the world :down:

For the record, I don't care how "innovative" the new album is. I actually really enjoyed the last two albums, and if this one is like those but 1,000 times better, then fucking sign me up.

ok... here goes... just translating what i see - i don't take any responsibility for opinions/accuracy of content/titles/information therein blah blah disclaimer lmfao ;)

Poster’s first post: “Blimey! Well i don’t know about the album but the single pretty much blows your head off! They cranked up the cd at 10.30pm for The Edge’s bday in Eze, followed by fireworks over the water. Those who want rock (without clochettes ??) [translator’s note: “little bells”?? not sure i’m missing something here?? but havent got time to check properly] will love this song, a mixture of vertigo in terms of rhythm and Lady with the spinning head in terms of main guitar sound (with a hint of Acrobat). i'm not saying it sounds exactly like all that, but it's just the vibe.
Just listened once but it's looking good!”

in response to question re. innovation: “I can’t really say if it’s innovative, I’m not so sure, but it was only the single.”

another post by same poster: “4th listening... title... Sexy Boots, which Bono keeps saying over and over.”

another post by same poster: “another song now, the one with Surrender i think in the title. Superb ballad. Really! A bolt from the blue/bombshell [translator's note: poster says “une bombe” but i havent got time to think too hard or check properly so sorry if my translation doesnt make sense!]! Quite innovative.
Sorry i havent got a recording device.”

another post by same poster: “4 songs, and not a hint of clochettes [translator's note: these damn “little bells” again...?]. But good guitar parts just how we love them.”

another post by same poster: “And a 5th song! "if i don't go crazy" in the lyrics. I think the title might be the one with "change of heart".”

same poster again: “heard 7 tracks and quick snippets from 2 others tonight. Moment of surrender starts like Stuck but ends 1000 times better.
.... The tracks we heard really sound good.”

last post: “will come back to this point when i’ve got more time. But re. “innovation”, i wanted to say what we heard wasnt over-revolutionary but there were new sounds for a U2 album...”

:hmm:

awwweeesooommeeee...:rockon:

sounds good...

Some of these reports are contradictory as hell, it's ridiculous, and how come none of them had any recording divice? I'll reserve my judgement on any of these songs until I hear them myself. And Sexy Boots, wtf? Are U2 going Hip Hop now?

Btw, there were "bells" on the latest clip postet at U2.com, the one with Bono and Lanois.

Like I've been saying, it's gonna sound alot like HTDAAB.

All this bullshit about a Moroccan trance vibe mixed with hand played electronica and the most innovative, best album........

"Moment of Surrender" starts like Stuck?
The single sounds like "Vertigo"?

I knew it.

Sexy Boots! :rockon:

Btw, I don't think people want innovation per say but more just interesting music. For example: Viva La Vida is more interesting to me than ATYCLB or Bomb. Interesting sounds. Some new instruments. Maybe something exotic. Not the same old soft pop-rock.

Personally, I don't find Viva La Vida interesting at all because, though I may not have heard those sounds from Coldplay before (though, if you cut out some of the production BS, it's not a particularly shocking record, even for them), I've definitely heard them from someone else. The songs are strong, but the shock has definitely worn off for me.

From U2, a general looseness would be nice. The audacity of actually using a song like Xanax And Wine, the guts to leave a song with a few loose ends. That's what I want to see more than any contrived attempt to go in a new direction.

IF they really heard new songs in Eze, I doubt they heard them clear enough to be able to say something about the "songwriting", unless they sat IN the recording studio with the band and listened to the new album. I take everything anyone says at this point with a grain of salt and I surely won't jump to any conclusion about any new U2 songs just because some random people claim they heard something.

Like I've been saying, it's gonna sound alot like HTDAAB.

All this bullshit about a Moroccan trance vibe mixed with hand played electronica and the most innovative, best album........

"Moment of Surrender" starts like Stuck?
The single sounds like "Vertigo"?

I knew it.

Heard the new clip on u2.com by chance? sounds nothing like anything from bomb,

why are people being so quick to pass judgement on something they havent even heard yet?

ok... here goes... just translating what i see - i don't take any responsibility for opinions/accuracy of content/titles/information therein blah blah disclaimer lmfao ;)

Poster’s first post: “Blimey! Well i don’t know about the album but the single pretty much blows your head off! They cranked up the cd at 10.30pm for The Edge’s bday in Eze, followed by fireworks over the water. Those who want rock (without clochettes ??) [translator’s note: “little bells”?? not sure i’m missing something here?? but havent got time to check properly] will love this song, a mixture of vertigo in terms of rhythm and Lady with the spinning head in terms of main guitar sound (with a hint of Acrobat). i'm not saying it sounds exactly like all that, but it's just the vibe.
Just listened once but it's looking good!”

in response to question re. innovation: “I can’t really say if it’s innovative, I’m not so sure, but it was only the single.”

another post by same poster: “4th listening... title... Sexy Boots, which Bono keeps saying over and over.”

another post by same poster: “another song now, the one with Surrender i think in the title. Superb ballad. Really! A bolt from the blue/bombshell [translator's note: poster says “une bombe” but i havent got time to think too hard or check properly so sorry if my translation doesnt make sense!]! Quite innovative.
Sorry i havent got a recording device.”

another post by same poster: “4 songs, and not a hint of clochettes [translator's note: these damn “little bells” again...?]. But good guitar parts just how we love them.”

another post by same poster: “And a 5th song! "if i don't go crazy" in the lyrics. I think the title might be the one with "change of heart".”

same poster again: “heard 7 tracks and quick snippets from 2 others tonight. Moment of surrender starts like Stuck but ends 1000 times better.
.... The tracks we heard really sound good.”

last post: “will come back to this point when i’ve got more time. But re. “innovation”, i wanted to say what we heard wasnt over-revolutionary but there were new sounds for a U2 album...”

Just to clarify, I read the French version and yes, 'clochettes' means 'little bells' so it could refer to the bells sounds heard in one of the clips, or it could mean something cheasy. Like, the lack of 'clochettes' could be a way of describing it as NOT poppy/cheesy, but I could be completely wrong.

And 'une bombe' (referring to Moment of Surrender) means a really kick-ass song, could be a big hit etc.

Back
Top Bottom