Im doing things differently this time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bram...I am almost in the same boat as you, regarding my approach to this new album and feeling surprised. It's almost like knowing where your parents hid your Christmas presents and resisting to open or peek in them. It could be exactly what you were dreaming of, found out that they bought you something you absolutely can't stand, or somewhere in between. At the end of the day, the gift was gift enough, but as a kid that didn't click in. I think it keeps the experiences new and exciting, or you lull yourself into the same mode, which has personally cost me a lot of time searching for answers I probably didn't need most of the time- the emotional responses the music gave me anyways simply by waiting. It all comes down to how quick the immediate gratification needs to be had, and its slowed for me :shrug:

I listened to the beach clips, but I'm not going to listen to any leak of the album. I do want to experience the music through better speakers.

My computer at home isn't that great, and in the past with the leaked songs, I've missed out on a lot of sounds that I could get from my car stereo.

The clips were too hard to hear anyway on my comp, but I was able to gather a little bit of direction. But I'm done going forward. I'll continue to listen to any clips U2 releases, as I don't count that towards "cheating".

Methinks Blue Room is talking about the 401/402/403/404 series.
I could be wrong but I think those were from 2006 (at the very least 2007)

Anyways, this is not a movie or a mystery story with a plot to be spoiled. It's a musical album, if you were let down by it, you were let down by the music on the album or the performances on the tour, nothing else. Believe me, some of us have already been there, twice this decade.

It comes down to the quality of the music, that's all you are left with.
Hear it partially now, in full later, after the newness wears off it won't matter.

I do sympathize, I 'felt' like I spoiled ATYCLB for myself, when the truth is, the album wasn't up to U2's standard.

I listened to the beach clips, but I'm not going to listen to any leak of the album. I do want to experience the music through better speakers.

My computer at home isn't that great, and in the past with the leaked songs, I've missed out on a lot of sounds that I could get from my car stereo.

The clips were too hard to hear anyway on my comp, but I was able to gather a little bit of direction. But I'm done going forward. I'll continue to listen to any clips U2 releases, as I don't count that towards "cheating".

i have a tradition of going for a car ride with each "first listen" of a U2 album. i will download a leak of the new U2 album, unless it's real crappy quality. but most leaks these days are pretty decent quality.

I do agree with the idea of giving it a 'proper' listen.

The beauty of these beach clips (to me) is that they are perfect teases.

They show 'just enough' but clearly not remotely enough to formulate some kind of real idea.

I'll listen to the album properly however I can as soon as I can.
Don't worry, U2 will get (even more of) my money.

i have a tradition of going for a car ride with each "first listen" of a U2 album. i will download a leak of the new U2 album, unless it's real crappy quality. but most leaks these days are pretty decent quality.

Me too. If I can time it right, and somehow manage to wait till I get home after work, I'll put it in the car. Music just sounds better when your driving. It may help that my car has a subwoofer that could blow down a house, but I usually find I enjoy songs twice as much when I listen to them in the car.

MY tradition involves a real nice YAMAHA surround speaker system with a kick ass POLK Audio sub....lights down real low...a Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tonic with TWO lime wedges (yes...TWO) my soft and comfortable recliner lounge chair and if the album is worth it....a nice cigar on the SECOND listen.

Hopefully...THIS next album will make me pull out one of my Opus X cigars. :up:

i have a tradition of going for a car ride with each "first listen" of a U2 album.

I'm almost certain I did that with Bomb, and now that I can drive, I'm so doing that with NLOTH. Thanks for reminding me.

Good idea. Apart from the info published in the Q Magazine article, I know very little about the upcoming album. I've heard none of the beach clips and, like you, will wait until March 2nd before hearing the complete album.

I've got absolutely no idea what the new songs will sound like and I can't wait to be totally surprised by them (in a good way hopefully) :wink:

I've done it exactly the same as you :) Each to their own really. But the weird thing is I have no great desire to listen to the beach clips. I have them, but don't feel any desire to listen to them. I'd rather keep listening to Silent Alarm thanks :love:

Well, no offense, but there are no other demos or clips out there besides the ones that have been mentioned in this thread.

From the Q interviews, it sounds like the idea was to go pretty experimental at first with some big hits in there too (Larry's esoteric comment), but then I think they kind of dropped the experimental angle. Which is actually sitting better with me than I would have thought.

Thats okay, I'm not offended. All I will say is we are not talking about the same material. I dont think most heard what I'm referring to and I will leave it at that. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I do think U2 can go too experimental also. I think there is a balance. Like I said before, I just want a cohesive album where most or all of the songs are strong and fit together and/or flow together.

I've avoided the beach clips so far, but I take my hat off to those of you who have been listening to them and dissecting them. I can totally understand how the original poster feels and I'm going to try and do something similar this time round as it'll be nice to be surprised. I've given in on the last couple of albums and listened to clips, leaks etc and its always made my first proper listen to the album an anticlimax.

I'm almost tempted to go one step further and rip the album to my iPod and not listen to it until the end of March when I'm due to be in the Sahara Desert which might be a unique setting to hear the thing in full for the first time, but I'm not sure my willpower is that good.

I personally don't equate "experimental" with "good". Some of their "experimental" stuff is just plain bad, while some is wonderful.

I think they could put out an album with totally new sounds as it pertains to U2 and still not be "experimental". For me, that word doesn't even get me excited...it gets me worried. It tells me that they are playing around and looking to create new stuff but are just "experimenting" so its not solid yet....as opposed to "forging" new sounds and "creating" new melodies. THAT'S what I would rather hear.

I personally don't equate "experimental" with "good". Some of their "experimental" stuff is just plain bad, while some is wonderful.

I think they could put out an album with totally new sounds as it pertains to U2 and still not be "experimental". For me, that word doesn't even get me excited...it gets me worried. It tells me that they are playing around and looking to create new stuff but are just "experimenting" so its not solid yet....as opposed to "forging" new sounds and "creating" new melodies. THAT'S what I would rather hear.

The full Q article is interesting though. I went in to it thinking that the new album was going to be "experimental" going on quotes I'd read online, but came out of the article not knowing what its going to sound like as all the band members seemed to use different words to describe the feel of the album.

The full Q article is interesting though. I went in to it thinking that the new album was going to be "experimental" going on quotes I'd read online, but came out of the article not knowing what its going to sound like as all the band members seemed to use different words to describe the feel of the album.

One thing that each of the band members did say verbatim is that the album is potentially "there best work yet" I can't remember all of them saying the same thing before. So this could be a really good thing.

I think the idea of avoiding setlists is a good idea simply because it kinda brings back the unexpected joy you get when they play a rare song. Last tour I almost knew exactly what songs to expect before I even went to my first show... although there were a few shows where they played some big surprises and mixed things up. Here's to willpower!!! As for the album, yeah that will be a little harder to resist, I listened to Bomb a few days before it came out on a student's Ipod and tried not to listen too closely.

From the Q articles, it sounds like the band is definitely thinking the same thing. I'm very excited. :up:

Back
Top Bottom