I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, three year old's have a deep understanding of spousal abuse.

Just because the topic is serious it doesn't mean it has to be delivered in such crap and infantile way. And the video is a childish cartoon showing ordinary stories with dull morals ("characters have their problems, but HEY LOOK! they managed to solve them, even the girl has found her lovely puppy :cute: awwwww how cute") Watch U2 entering care bears world.

I was expecting that, it was adorable! Kind of surprised an animated U2 didn't appear.

As promotion for NLOTH these videos really haven't worked, but I like all 3 of them a lot, and besides the slight disappointment of Magnificent (not because it was bad, just that the song could have lent itself to so much more), they've all been a nice change of pace from the rest of the decade (besides the out of this world OOTS video) great job!

I bet we'll be seeing a live video of the remix, or at least I hope so. And although it'd be typical I would like to see a full length video done like the Blackberry ad.

I love the homeless motif. U2 clearly has great confidence in this video's success.

No, seriously, I love it. But what does it have to do with the song? I mean, it's night time, people are doing things, but...?

Its an uplifting story of change out of a tough time, like the song. The end soars along with the song.

OK, I just watched the clip and I can't believe the comments I'm reading here... what are you all excited about? God, GOYB video was a great one,

Wow, I thought GOYB was a pile of shit. In fact, when I saw it I thought that it was so embarrassing that it must have been some kind of parody that some kids put together in their basement. Truly awful, heinously ugly video.

I like this one. It's kind of cute.

Bono and Stipe are rock singer. Anything played with guitars over an amplified instruments is rock. Pop is less about the human voice, more about hooks and the production, with the use of many effects. Rock music is about an energy, is more emotional, very raw. Pop is more about stamping your personality into the song rather than purveying true emotion. That sums up Bono's excentric performance on the song and Stipe's emotional performance. Pop singers have nondiscript voices that you wouldn't really notice . I call them plain Jane voices, just like Madonna, Shakira, Justin Timberlake, Celine Dion and Lady gaga. A distinctive voice will obstruct the song from getting hooked into your head, as heard by Barbra Striesand's unsuccesful forays into pop music.
'Shiny Happy People'? 'Pop Song 89'? Michael Stipe is a singer in a rock band who every so often write pure pop songs, much like U2 ('Window in the Skies', 'Sweetest Thing', 'Wild Honey', 'Crazy Tonight', etc).

Adam Clayton on 'Crazy Tonight': 'Unashamedly it's a pop song and it's got a pretty good one-two [chuckles]'

I would hardly call Madonna or Shakira nondescript voices. Madonna's vocal performance on tracks like 'Live to Tell', 'Oh Father' and 'In This Life', for example, are about as emotional as it gets and put most 'rock singers' to shame.

Also, your definition of what is rock and what is pop is flawed. By your definition Avril Lavigne is a rock singer. She does after all play with electric guitars.

If you read the comments on Youtube, the vast majority are positive.

yep, there are always haters but the general reception seems to be better than for Boots and Magnificent

admittedly it took me awhile to get into Boots, but I though Mag was a sure hit. I'm a little disappointed it wasn't.

that is a cute video, i love the little dog. Also love the way all of the characters have really big eyes.

Well done :up:

i heard this song on mainstream radio for the first time today, which is the first new song i have heard from the band. Maybe that bodes well for this song, i think so. i still hate mainstream radio like i hate a case of herpes, but i listen to it at work in my office so i wont go insane. When the song came on i was more than suprised.

A few good comments in a cloud of shit.

If I saw a cloud of shit, I wouldn't even bother going outside. I mean, even if you wear a rain coat, you're still gonna get shit on it.

Anyway, I saw the still frame of the video and thought "oh boy, this is gonna be bad" but its actually a good video. I can say that because Magnificent is my favorite song on NLOTH yet I watched the video for it once or twice because its visually boaring (to me). This video tells a story and keeps me watching.

If you dont like it, they are going to come out with 3 more versions (so I hear) and Im sure one of them will be a live version.

Bono and Stipe are rock singer. Anything played with guitars over an amplified instruments is rock. Pop is less about the human voice, more about hooks and the production, with the use of many effects. Rock music is about an energy, is more emotional, very raw. Pop is more about stamping your personality into the song rather than purveying true emotion. That sums up Bono's excentric performance on the song and Stipe's emotional performance. Pop singers have nondiscript voices that you wouldn't really notice . I call them plain Jane voices, just like Madonna, Shakira, Justin Timberlake, Celine Dion and Lady gaga. A distinctive voice will obstruct the song from getting hooked into your head, as heard by Barbra Striesand's unsuccesful forays into pop music.

Wrong. Rock and Pop are genres and styles, not "types of bands". Rock bands can play pop songs, rock singers can sing pop songs. Is Two Shots of happy, One Shot of Sad a rock song? The descriptions of Pop you use fit CT perfectly anyway.

Just because the topic is serious it doesn't mean it has to be delivered in such crap and infantile way. And the video is a childish cartoon showing ordinary stories with dull morals ("characters have their problems, but HEY LOOK! they managed to solve them, even the girl has found her lovely puppy :cute: awwwww how cute") Watch U2 entering care bears world.

Yes, the topic is serious and the cartooning is infantile: that is the point. It's a valid and powerful visual technique for portraying meaning. The innocence of youth is not shielded to the evils of the world, we all need to get in touch with our inner child to find resolutions to adult issues. There are a plethora of ways to interpret the video and extract more meaning than that perfunctory dismissal you gave

yep, there are always haters but the general reception seems to be better than for Boots and Magnificent

admittedly it took me awhile to get into Boots, but I though Mag was a sure hit. I'm a little disappointed it wasn't.

Agreed. I've been following lots of comments and it definitely seems to be better. I think Magnificent has been a big hit with the fans, judging by how the crowd sings a lot so loudly to it at concerts, but I think Crazy Tonight is more radio friendly for today's mainstream music. Cross your fingers!

I'd love to be able to download as well. Can someone please send me the link?

alicia(dot)k(at)comcast(dot)net

Thanks!

Wrong. Rock and Pop are genres and styles, not "types of bands". Rock bands can play pop songs, rock singers can sing pop songs. Is Two Shots of happy, One Shot of Sad a rock song? The descriptions of Pop you use fit CT perfectly anyway.

A better example would be The Sweetest thing 87 or 98 both were pop songs.

I just watched the video, I think it's pretty damn cool! Storytelling videos are pretty much my favourite kind!

And just for the sake of it, even though I hated the studio version of it, the remix OWNS live. Easily one of the best songs of the night!

Back
Top Bottom