I think this quote is a big clue as to why they are in Morocco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevated_u2_fan said:

hold on, hold on...

U2.com has a team???

What pre-tell does this crack squad of proffessionals do exactly?

u2.jpg

greety said:

If they don't want snippets to emerge, then they just shouldn't play these songs out loud at their holiday house.

These clip recordings were made of actual songs being played out loud, not of an actual recording.

Yup, I know. But maybe that why they have isolated themselves in Morocco.

The team? Why it's Ron Burgundy, Virginia Corningstone, Brian Fantana and Brick Tamland. They have snappy blazers in red polyester with the Vertigo emblem stitched on the breast pocket.

Remember: if Ron Burgundy says it -- or if U2.com says it -- it's the truth!

Am I crazy or does it sound like Eno and Lanois will be
getting song writing credits this time? There's no talk
of them "working the boards" or "producing" or any other
euphamism for production or engineering work.
Just "songwriting".
Interesting.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Am I crazy or does it sound like Eno and Lanois will be
getting song writing credits this time? There's no talk
of them "working the boards" or "producing" or any other
euphamism for production or engineering work.
Just "songwriting".
Interesting.

Paul McGuiness said that the reason Eno didn't get songwriting credit in addition to production credit is that they had always collaborated as well as produced and that was accounted for in the points they got as producers. Giving them songwriting credit in addition to that would have had them making more money than the band and he would never allow that. So maybe since Rubin doesn't want to work until they have songs they decided to work with Eno and Lanios giving them songwriting credit and then Rubin will get Production credit. That would kind of make sense. I think also that by not thinking in terms of an album yet and just concetrating on the songwriting would help to keep them from falling into old patterns of working as well as not steering the songs into any specific direction. All in all it could prove very interesting.

Dana

LemonMelon said:

That's not going to happen. There are three other members of U2...the same ones that decided Native Son wasn't going to be released.

As well as the singer not seeing himself singing this song for the next 2 years.

I think this might be the closest we'll get to a political album - the location, the fresh G-8 summit impressions, the impressions from the N. Orleans/Katrina work.
If for nothing else just to piss of those who don't want it.

Page & Plant from Led Zeppelin went Moroccan for Unledded & it worked very well, as it did for Jeff Martin from The Tea Party. 'Could be a good idea.

financeguy said:
I was thinking the same thing.

Having said that, Bono's statement that Irish culture isn't a nothern European culture is highly controversial. To put it less politely, the man is talking bilge.
There are strong links and similiarities in many folk musics - a direct link between Morocco and Ireland seems a little unlikley (though not impossible due to sea trading routes).

Certainly Irish drums(bodrhans) have comparrisons with those of northern africa and there are therories that it came to Ireland via Spain and trade routes. Its impossible to say for certain.

financeguy said:
I was thinking the same thing.

Having said that, Bono's statement that Irish culture isn't a nothern European culture is highly controversial. To put it less politely, the man is talking bilge.
:hmm:
well, that depends..................

I feel Irish culture the modest amount i know of.........has an....exuberence......that's closer to Southern European {I'm halfGreek/American}...than the more buttoned down cultures of England/Germany/the Scandinavian coutries..........

......and Greek culture in music has ties to the Middle East and that has the ties right into Africa..........

For me as a part Greek/America I've always felt an ...."emotional tone" connection with African Americans {except those pulled into WASPiness} than I ever did to WASPS {in general...always excpetions :wink: }. :)

I think it would be cool if U2's next album was heavily influenced by world music. Kind of like Paul Simon's Graceland or Peter Gabriel's later music.

Surprised I only just read this.

Complete garbage, to say the least. Now, I can understand an influence from Moroccan culture, but to deny there's any relationship with neighbouring cultures of Ireland... saying that sort of shit, it's no wonder people still can't tolerate him.

^It is not complete garbage, it is a small possibility, but still a possibilty. We're a Celtic culture, but not a celtic people. Closest relatives are the Basque in Spain, who were believed to be the indigenous people of Europe before immigrations of people that were known as the Celts (very loose racial identity, were really made up of a number of quite different peoples)...anyway the people then in Spain migrated North when the last ice age was ending (7500 years ago roughly) and ended up stuck in the British Isles. They likely spoke an early form of Basque as well, but subsequent immigrations a few thousand years later of what were known as Celts, their culture took over but the people remained largely South European in origin. Only something like 5% of our genetic makeup here can be attributed to the Celts.

A genetic marker named Eshu(sp might be wrong) can be found in coastal regions of the British Isles, and is believed to have originated in Africa. It might be unlikely that a southern european element may have remained in our culture, but it is not impossible. There is also plenty of science to back up what I just said and it is all quite readily available on the net.

I have to ask, because while I haven't read every page of the "OMFG MOrocco 2007 no 2008 morocco!!!1!11" threads, I don't think this has been discussed:

We are talking about how their work might be influenced by Moroccan music, but pray tell, what does Moroccan music sound like? (aside from possibly being linked to Celtic blah-dy-blah) What is a Moroccan influence, musically? (Cullinarily I can say a Moroccan influence = delicious.) Anyone have some Moroccan tracks they want to share?

Turns out this whole Irish/North African thing Bono is on about right now isn't the first time he's mentioned this:

Near the bottom of the interview, which is from 1998

That's our difference, that's what separates us from everyone else, that's our identity. We're not really north Europeans. The roots of our music are Celtic, Middle-Eastern, that's where it all comes from. We are not Europeans so we shouldn't try to be. Let's not be intimidated by it".

Edge smiles at this flow of thought. "I love Bono's theories about the idea that it came from North Africa.

Does Edge mean love as in "I like that line of logic" or love as in "there he goes again on a crazy nonsensical tangent, but maybe we'll get some decent lyrics out of it and at least it's amusing"?

I strongly suspect the latter... :wink:

Here's a Moroccan music source I like, Radio Casablanca (click 'Sound Bank')--you'll probably find it helpful to scan Wikipedia's Moroccan music overview first, so that you have some idea what the genre labels mean (note some of the spellings on the radio site are slightly different, also that 'Amazigh'=Berber, i.e. indigenous, non-Arab Moroccans). I don't know enough ethnomusicology lingo to characterize it very well, though I don't personally hear much similarity to Irish music in it.

The 'Celts and Copts' thing with reference to Morocco sounds to me like total nonsense (though it's a catchy phrase). 'Coptic' refers to the last stage of pre-Islamic/pre-Arabization (7th cen. AD) Egyptian culture, the language of which lives on in the Coptic (Egyptian) Christian Church liturgy. There were some adherents of the Coptic Church in North Africa, including Morocco, before Islamicization; however, Berber culture in general wasn't strongly influenced by Egypt (though it was by successive European invaders and colonizers like the Romans, Vandals, Visigoths and Byzantine Greeks). In ancient times--around 1000 BC--Berbers did rule Egypt for a couple centuries, though obviously that has little to do with the 'Coptic' cultural phase which began roughly 1200 years later.

LJT seems to be referring to the geneticist Bryan Sykes' research, which I think(?) more or less argues that the peoples who over time 'Celticized' the British Isles and constitute its predominant population base today--'Celtiberians' or whatever you want to call them--were themselves mostly just 'Celticized' descendants of pre-Indo-European peoples like the Basques. (Their descendants constitute a majority in Belgium, France, and significant portions of Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Italy, and Germany as well; in fact, it's the most common 'haplogroup' in western Europe.) But the 'Eshu' marker was one he found only in small, scattered populations in Britain (not sure he found it at all in Ireland?); it is true, though, that it's closely related to one found in large numbers among the Berbers, and it's also found in moderate numbers in parts of southern Spain and Portugal--unsurprising since the latter areas were occupied by the Moors (many of whom were ethnic Berbers) from the early 8th-late 15th cen. AD.

Seems like a pretty flimsy basis, though, for a case for some uniquely Irish connection to North Africans or Arabs or whatever exactly it is Bono's arguing...a more reasonable point would be that all those tidy 19th-century divisions of Europe into various 'Indo-European' ethnicities based on linguistic evidence has been heavily problematized by contemporary genetic research, period. Of course much the same is true of North Africa and the Middle East, those are also very heterogenous populations; nonetheless, if there's any significant research supporting a notable and distinct Irish connection specifically to those regions, I've never heard of it.

^There isn't any, I did think the Eshu marker was found on the Southeast/west coast of Ireland though, I can't source that though, but it is a bit of fun to romanticise...most people in Ireland don't even know they are genetically much the same as the English, might cause people to overthrow the scientific establishment:wink:

Also love the theories that Ireland may be Atlantis.

Apparently the landscape matches some of Plato's descriptions of the island of Atlantis...codswallop really though:D

Earnie Shavers said:
From that photo it looks like they're all playing something - except Larry, who I assume is the dude sitting cross legged a few feet away from the drum kit. Hopefully this is an expression of displeasure at the song they are working on, which of course means the song is awesome.

:up:

"It’s the first time we’ve worked with Brian and Dan in a purely songwriting capacity so it’s very different, quite experimental and kind of liberating because of that…"

Yup, sounds like Larry can't stand Morocco sessions.

Back
Top Bottom