I read the Rolling Stone piece based on meeting U2 in early December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
I just found the piece here:
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...ing+Stone"+2009+++U2&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=ca

So never mind my half-remembered summary below:

It was only 2 pages -- half of it pictures -- but there's some worrisome news. The writer said that Brian Eno was upset/disappointed with the band scrapped some of the more experimental (I can't remember the exact words) songs which they'd written on the new album. Eno jokingly said, "Tell them they're a bunch of cunts." The article said that "Winter", which it described as beautiful or something, would not be on the album.

I think it's worrisome that the band wasn't going for all the interesting stuff that Eno said was great. Then again, that's what makes it U2 and perhaps the band felt the songs weren't not just good enough in a commercial sense, but in an artistic one. I hope they release these songs later or do whatever is needed to make them better, not just more accessible. At the same time, Eno's hardly commercially-deaf. The article quoted him as saying that the sessions involved starting from scratch with simple melodies, which they made more complex and then stripped back again later. The article also mentioned that the songs that didn't emerge from full-band sessions with Eno and Lanois came from demos from The Edge's garage -- or maybe it was a music writing program with the word "garage" in it.

wow you guys must really be worried about some of the postive comments going around?, i mean god forbid some people might be looking forward to it now?

I'm just sharing the news. I'm not trying to depress anyone. On the other hand, the piece was done in early December and, considering that Eno loves it, according to the fan who met him at the protest, then maybe the band went along and included the song "Winter".

It was only 2 pages -- half of it pictures -- but there's some worrisome news. The writer said that Brian Eno was upset/disappointed with the band scrapped some of the more experimental (I can't remember the exact words) songs which they'd written on the new album. Eno jokingly said, "Tell them they're a bunch of cunts." The article said that "Winter", which it described as beautiful or something, would not be on the album.

I think it's worrisome that the band wasn't going for all the interesting stuff that Eno said was great. Then again, that's what makes it U2 and perhaps the band felt the songs weren't not just good enough in a commercial sense, but in an artistic one. I hope they release these songs later or do whatever is needed to make them better, not just more accessible. At the same time, Eno's hardly commercially-deaf. The article quoted him as saying that the sessions involved starting from scratch with simple melodies, which they made more complex and then stripped back again later. The article also mentioned that the songs that didn't emerge from full-band sessions with Eno and Lanois came from demos from The Edge's garage -- or maybe it was a music writing program with the word "garage" in it.

MichaelJacksonThrillerPopcorn.gif

I'm just sharing the news. I'm not trying to depress anyone. On the other hand, the piece was done in early December and, considering that Eno loves it, according to the fan who met him at the protest, then maybe the band went along and included the song "Winter".

But it has already been discussed? you have been on these boards since it was talked about?

have you EVER said anything postive?

But it has already been discussed? you have been on these boards since it was talked about?

have you EVER said anything postive?

Sure. I'm proud of Brian Eno's protest and of Daniel Lanois' gentlemanliness when I spoke to him. I'm also proud of Larry calling Blair a war criminal. In terms of art, U2 has a long way to go to prove to me that it is in this for artistic more than simply commercial reasons. I'm cautious until the release. I've taken so much disappointment since Achtung Baby -- my first love, in terms of music. And I've really been disappointed by the last 2 albums. It's just not the stuff that made U2 great.

I really want this to be great. That said, I honestly didn't know about the other thread. I looked around for a few seconds and hadn't seen in previous days, but I'm not too good when it comes to looking for things; my eyes often miss them.

I checked the old thread. It looks like one based on the internet piece, which said the print one would contain more, which is what I just read a few hours ago.

Kind of like POP which originally was supposed to be a double album,one disc more rock while the other disc was going to be more dance/trance/experimental.I think U2 wanted to go more in the experimental direction but Island Records didnt want them to go too far out of the Galaxy(though I would have preferred that).Kind of dissapionted to hear Eno say they shelved some of the more experimental tracks,but We havent heard the album yet and I have a gut feeling it will be a good one.Besides maybe we will hear those unreleased tracks someday soon.

Kind of like POP which originally was supposed to be a double album,one disc more rock while the other disc was going to be more dance/trance/experimental.I think U2 wanted to go more in the experimental direction but Island Records didnt want them to go too far out of the Galaxy(though I would have preferred that).Kind of dissapionted to hear Eno say they shelved some of the more experimental tracks,but We havent heard the album yet and I have a gut feeling it will be a good one.Besides maybe we will hear those unreleased tracks someday soon.

Whoa! I never knew that 1) U2 had to even listen to the record company after Joshua Tree and that 2) there were other songs left over from the Pop sessions. Is there more unreleased stuff then?

I also agree with the latter part of what you're saying -- that the album could still be amazing and might have even been changed after early December. For all we know, maybe the other songs were like most of "Passengers". Eno didn't exactly say "experimental". I tried to memorize the 2 words -- more like "stretching out" or "unusual".

You guys are crazy. You're totally exaggerating what I've said.

Also, thelaj, you actually like "Passengers" besides "Elvis Ate America", "Miss Sarajevo", or "Your Blue Room"? And I was referring to the Eno-preferred stuff that was left off.

For every critic of the band, there are zealous folks who are unable to accept that bands make mistakes. The exclusion of "Fast Cars" off the US version of HTDAAB was idiotic, for example, as it had the best lyrics and the most innovative work of that album.

That rolling stone article was a great, insightful read. "Tell them their being stupid cunts" :eeklaugh:

And the bit about Larry pretending to play fill drums in the background. Bless him.

I find it extraoidinarily(sp?) hilarious that everyone is making a big deal over Eno's "joking" comments. They even say in the articles that he said this "jokingly" and people are panicing. For all we know the atmospheric and sonically out there pieces that Eno is talking about could be in the Anton Cjorbin film. Contrary to the widely held view that the band has no sense of humor I find that they and their associates are often fucking with peoples heads and everybody just totally misses it.

Dana

Whoa, this is the trippiest deja vu thread ever. I haven't even been drinking.

i am amazed at how full of shit people are with their comments after reading this article. some of you are just as Eno said "cunts"

well what the hell is taking you so long partner?????

...you better start knockin 'em down now because come the end of August your a dead man :applaud:

:cocktail::cocktail::cocktail:

Haha, true. After August I have to act like a grown up. You get an extra 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom