I love crazy tonight... but bono's high note kills it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NLOTH into Electrical Storm should be the intro to the concerts on this tour :up:

Still don't understand why Electrical Storm is the only single that they haven't played live :doh:... it went to #1 in Canada and I believe it was up there in Europe as well, so its surprising they haven't played it yet.

Agreed! My second favorite song! :rockon: :dance:

Well at least he is hitting the high notes this time around,he said he couldn`t do at one point in time. I guess he was stretching it out a little. that isn`t what it sounds like...

Bono has soul. The imperfections make the listener think about what he was trying. Since Adult Contemporary perfect singers don't try what Bono's doing we don't really have any choice. :shrug:

This song, taken on theory, should not work, what with all the disparate miscues, layers, and time switches. But it does- I love that.

They should have overdubbed those falsettos with some better versions. He clearly still has the skill to do it sometimes (as evidenced in some of the other songs). Should have had him keep trying until it sounded a little cleaner.

IGCIIDGCT is funny at times - in my opinion, the "crazy tonight!" falsetto at the beginning is downright hilarious. And meant to be so.

This is an exuberant, playful song that ends up actually meaning something by the end.:up:

I have to agree. Imagine someone saying the words instead of singing them, "I'll go crazy if I don't go CRAZY TONIGHT!" It's kind of goofy and I think it's meant to be like that......but I still cringe at it as well. :reject:

Why on earth do people care so much? One or two vocal notes is nothing compared to everything a song delivers. If you were looking at the song as a sum of its parts this would be maybe 1 out of 1000. To say a tiny falsetto kills an entire song makes no sense. If we were to say that little "cringe" moments in isolation killed a song, every NLOTH track would be killed. Every U2 track would be killed. I don't expect every song to be exactly as I would write every little part. It's just part of the overall product.

Why on earth do people care so much? One or two vocal notes is nothing compared to everything a song delivers. If you were looking at the song as a sum of its parts this would be maybe 1 out of 1000. To say a tiny falsetto kills an entire song makes no sense. If we were to say that little "cringe" moments in isolation killed a song, every NLOTH track would be killed. Every U2 track would be killed. I don't expect every song to be exactly as I would write every little part. It's just part of the overall product.

No i agree with you actually i do really like the song i was just seeing if it was me imagining it or if it did seem like an "off" note. and it seems it may have been any way still love the song and the new album:rockon:

They should have overdubbed those falsettos with some better versions. He clearly still has the skill to do it sometimes (as evidenced in some of the other songs). Should have had him keep trying until it sounded a little cleaner.

Its on purpose... since Pop they haven't obsessed on having perfect vocals on the album. And it makes certain songs work better. I don't think Beautiful Day would have been as powerful without the gravelly/strained voice. But they still do clean vocals once in a while, look at Elevation, Electrical Storm.

Or look at NLOTH1 vs. NLOTH2. NLOTH2 has much cleaner vocals.

Heck even look at the first chorus in NLOTH1 vs. the succeeding choruses in NLOTH1. In the first chorus Bono's voice is clean and perfect, and as the song goes on it gets more and more strained. I'm pretty sure that its the way they intended it to be.

I love it - it's so off-kilter, unexpected and rough. There's a real beauty in imperfection. Perfection is boring.

No i agree with you actually i do really like the song i was just seeing if it was me imagining it or if it did seem like an "off" note. and it seems it may have been any way still love the song and the new album:rockon:

Yeah I see what you mean. For me it isn't quite right either; a rush of emotion before the music has had the chance to catch up.

....... light my way.

That's all I can think about when I hear that part.

Hahaha! I thought the same thing!

Also, NLOTH's guitar is The Fly starting at 1:14. Unknown Caller's guitar sounds like Walk On/Crumbs at parts. And Magnificent's intro sounds very reminiscent of Streets to me. But this is a different story :D

The whole album has little sonic speed bumps like that which give me pause.
it's evened out by moments of brilliance but they've never had the speed bumps in other albums - why now?!
I don't like feeling this way!!!!!!

I love it - it's so off-kilter, unexpected and rough. There's a real beauty in imperfection. Perfection is boring.

:up: that's what I keep saying about this song, and about the whole album. One of the things I love most about it is it's beauty, it's beautiful imperfection. Thank GOD they didn't polish the whole damn thing up. And I love the way Bono sings those falesettos in this song!

Back
Top Bottom