I Like this U218 Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it was a decent review, but I disagree with the author's evaluation of Saints and WITS. I also disagree with the first paragraph, but I know there are people who think that way.

the Rolling Stone review, however, is perfect :wink:

To say WITS is nothing more than backloaded filler, is ridiculous. While it may not be what some want from U2, it's a very good song, that's already soaring up the charts, and is positioned to be their biggest hit since Vertigo.

Geez, someone says this on the forum "the band's long outlived its heyday and has issued a rather spotty run of albums" and they get ripped to shreds, but when a reviewer says it, it's a "great review"

Chizip said:
Geez, someone says this on the forum "the band's long outlived its heyday and has issued a rather spotty run of albums" and they get ripped to shreds, but when a reviewer says it, it's a "great review"

gotta love interference:drool:

I didnt really read this review very well... It is not as good review as i first thought. I must of only liked the last paragraph.

Chizip said:
and some people aim to claim sarcasm, but only see it when they choose to

come to think of it though:
I don't think this reviewer is the biggest U2 fan and he's also not posting on a U2 forum
+ he calls everything after Achtung baby "rather spotty"
which at least is a viewpoint I understand better than the people who claim Pop was the second coming and everything after that sucked

so maybe it is actually a great review after all!

I think U2 knows WITS is filler. Good song, but nothing revolutionary. Which is why they probably put it on this, because they knew it wasn't a great enough song to be album-worthy. They didn't need to put 2 new tracks on the CD... they could've stuck on "Angel of Harlem" and "Discotheque" instead, but they wanted to add some value to the product. Hardcore fans like you and me would buy it regardless, so they probably included something new to make it more worth the while of the fans who already own the albums. If you've heard the live version of WITS, it's not going to be a stadium shaking song for years to come... it's not going to stand out among U2's classics. But, it is a good song, something to tide us over until the next album, and I appreciate the fact that they offered us this song.

Salome said:

+ he calls everything after Achtung baby "rather spotty"
which at least is a viewpoint I understand better than the people who claim Pop was the second coming and everything after that sucked

A far more sensible opinion, and much more well put, than the 90+% of usual "everything post 2000 sucks because I said so and U2 isn't making the music I want from them." posts constantly poluting the discussions.

I liked it, not to say that I agreed with it all but I found it fun to read. The author's got a huge boner for Adam and the phrase
a few housewife-rock moments
cracks me up to no end. Also, the guy can't learned to count at a very different school than mine.

Chizip said:

I ignore reviews. And for someone to write "outlived its heyday" is horribly presumptuous, opinionated and self-serving.

Reviewers are the worst piece of trash ever. We all have opinions - most (if not all) reviewers are either too biased or too ignorant to write a credible review. Hence, useless - all of them. If I ran a newspaper, I'd eliminate the "review" section for anything. I might, just keep might, keep a movie review only because the good writers do give some advice on the movie's plot or whether the movie is suitable for families.

Chizip said:

There's a difference between a well thought-out and articulate argument for an artist's shortcomings and a bloated, drunken diatribe. :|

LemonMelon said:

There's a difference between a well thought-out and articulate argument for an artist's shortcomings and a bloated, drunken diatribe. :|

I think a good review serves a very important purpose - it helps us listen, or read, or watch, better. We notice stuff we might not otherwise have noticed. Unfortunately, good reviews are about as rare as good movies, good songs, and good books.

aversion review: It's also cluttered with a few housewife-rock moments of sensitivity ("Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own") that suck out some of this collection's spirit.
hahahaha spot on! i like this :lol:

Back
Top Bottom