I just came from a 'Meet & Greet' with Daniel Lanois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lastly, Lanois mentioned he's interested in "dry" sounds these days, especially when put into the context of a tactfully laid-out studio, where you really get a sense of where the band is relative to one another when you're listening to the recording. This creates a sort of sonic landscape, the classic Lanois sound, but with less emphasis on drenched, bleeding tones, and the sort.

I want to reiterate this point. Has any U2 record ever sounded live on disc, where you can literally envision the band playing in the room with you? I dont think so... maybe a select moment here and there (RTSS). I think, we're in for more of that this time.

And for anyone that's heard Lanois' new songs, consider the dry, rich sounds of "Here is what is" or "harry"

"Family" matters again ? Not good.

As for re-writing songs - if Lanois says they're better, ok. Just as long as it's out this Spring.

As for masterpieces: JT (and OK Computer) is the only one (and maybe Bends and AB within the 90's decade) for U2. All that... may get the "comeback" tag and they did the "healing after 9/11" with the tour but it's not a masterpiece. UF was too transitional and War isn't quite up there.

perhaps my original post was misleading...

two things I want to clarify
1) Lanois was in town promoting his own show, his own music... we didn't bombard him with u2 questions because that's not what he was there to talk about
2) the primary reason for the delay, according to Lanois, was family business.

all this worry over rerecording... I wish I could explain this better, but being there I got the sense that Lanois is genuinely excited about the new material.. he might not have said much in words, but through his manner, his way of answering those u2 questions that did come up, he seemed quite optimistic. this doesnt sound like much now, but at the time, he was "saying" more than his words let on...

You should have kept your big trap shut...now look what you spawned:wink:

As for masterpieces: JT (and OK Computer) is the only one (and maybe Bends and AB within the 90's decade) for U2. All that... may get the "comeback" tag and they did the "healing after 9/11" with the tour but it's not a masterpiece. UF was too transitional and War isn't quite up there.

IMO, while we all probably agree the JT and AB are undisputed masterpieces, JT sounds more timeless to me, whereas AB captures more of an era. Each time I listen to AB, I am drawn back to 1991-92 emotionally. Also, the production of it is not quite as good as JT, imo. Not that it's bad, I just think JT is slightly superior. It's more open and airy, and that desert landscape on the cover fits it perfectly. JT always sounds fresh to me, even though radio has killed WTSHNN, ISHF, and WOWY over the last 20 years.

As far as other "masterpieces", one can argue for their own taste on each album. I can see some saying War is one, or even Boy. Personally, the only other one that comes close is UF. I think if they had just one or two more really strong songs on there, it would definitely be one.
ATYCLB? Not for me. I liked it when it came out, but haven't listened to it on a regular basis in years. It's strength is based on BD, Walk On, Kite, and IALW for me. Never liked Stuck or Elevation, and the rest of it is filler for me.

Once again, Daniel Lanois provides us with more information than the band has...I'm beginning to think he wrote the entire album himself.

I want to reiterate this point. Has any U2 record ever sounded live on disc, where you can literally envision the band playing in the room with you? I dont think so... maybe a select moment here and there (RTSS). I think, we're in for more of that this time.

Has anyone else seen the interview with Danny where he speaks of how he would like to "paint with microphones"? That sounded really interesting to me.

"Family" matters again ? Not good.

As for re-writing songs - if Lanois says they're better, ok. Just as long as it's out this Spring.

:der: Okeeeee. Actually, that last part touches on the biggest issue the band has at the moment--the fact that their latest release is always viewed as an 'event,' rather than a potentially great piece of music.

As for Lanois, I saw him play last week here. Not one mention of U2, which was rather refreshing! I'm sure he grows tired of talking about them...whether he admits it, or not. Especially on HIS tour.

The performance was incredible--especially so, considering that two of his band members weren't allowed into the country because of customs issues at the border. He more than compensated with a wild display of guitar-work. The best-known stuff was played, like Jolie Louise and The Maker...but he also went off on little experimental tangents. I guess when your drummer is missing, the heat is on to rise to the occasion. :wink:

There were moments when I just got lost in his atmospherics, and closed my eyes. At times, it was like a delicious mix of Achtung Baby Edge, and even Radiohead's trademark bloops and bleeps. :drool:

A few ultra-crappy pics, from a few rows back:

156639z.jpg

2qwejye.jpg

2a9b04p.jpg

156639z.jpg

And for anyone that's heard Lanois' new songs, consider the dry, rich sounds of "Here is what is" or "harry"

Those are awesome. :up:

If I like an album I don't care whether it's loved by a gazillion people or only a few hundred. My personal opinion isn't depending on other people's views.

I agree with you, but I also feel that U2 try to reach "a gazillion people" with every record they put out, and if they didn't they wouldn't be the band they are, and consequently I wouldn't like them so much.

Thanks for the info and pictures RegisteredDude & angleordevil!:applaud: He still looks like a yeti.... Or a lumberjack....:hmm:

Interesting that they still, after 4 years of album work, are not confident with the material they have produced. Thats what it seems like at least.

I really hope that by "family" issues, Lanois mean normal, typical family things (ie children growing up, school, ect.)

:der: Okeeeee. Actually, that last part touches on the biggest issue the band has at the moment--the fact that their latest release is always viewed as an 'event,' rather than a potentially great piece of music.

Any U2 album starting with JT is an event.

:der: Okeeee :confused:

If I like an album I don't care whether it's loved by a gazillion people or only a few hundred. My personal opinion isn't depending on other people's views.

And it shouldn't be...but there is something to be said about a large number of people finding a particular album or song to be really good.

With all of the music out there there's just not enough time to give it all its due and let the songs marinate in your head. Sometimes it helps to use the concensus as a guide, either as a positive or a negative to direct you to a particular kind of music to listen to and decide if you like it.

I'll give you a perfect example. In my U2 fanatic infancy, I was introduced to the band's music due in part to a bunch of friends of mine who were just casual fans of The Joshua Tree. They basically only listened to the first 3-4 songs and that was it. I got to listening and loved it, but wondered why they didn't like the rest of the songs. So I decided to give the rest of it a chance and really try to listen to it. Of course we all know of the amazing gems that are hidden on the "second side" of the album. Well, I was hooked. Further more, I decided to delve into their catalogue and see what else was in there. Wallah! The Unforgettable Fire! I thought "Wow, why do none of my other friends know about this album?" Well I gave it a solid listen and it became and still is one of my favorite U2 albums of all time. Fast forward many years later and I have a much greater appreciation for the entire U2 catalogue.I don't LOVE everything, but I love most of it.

The point I'm trying to make was that it was the MAJORITY that got me to start listening to U2 because "everyone" thought they were great. But it was my I own personal taste that allowed me to explore the catalogue and actually become part of the MINORITY of the fans who really liked albums like Boy, UF, Zooropa, and POP.

Back
Top Bottom