I hope the new album is a surprise again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So is there any news? I thought someone said that Danger Mouse made a statement about U2, but now I don't know where that was or if I just imagined it. :crack:

He said the songs were taken away by Bono and given to Steve Lillywhite for fixing.

Shhh!

No Rachel, Cee-Lo Green (DM's partner in Gnarls Barkley) said the other day that DM was wrapping up the U2 project.

well... i disagree strongly that pre-2000 u2 were neutral in their politics... fuck the revolution, full on support of bill clinton, bashing of reagan era foreign policy, cursing out the french president over nuclear testing... not exactly "neutral" stances. being pacifist is not being neutral.

secondly... why the hell couldn't they be more politically overt in their 50s? other acts who have always been socially conscious... neil young, bob dylan, bruce springsteen... continue to do so well into their 50's and beyond. the only reason that u2 isn't is because they haven't wanted to be of late, and that lays directly at the feet of bono and his not wanting to upset the politicians that he works with on his, admittedly, very noble causes.

I was referring mostly to Ireland with the political comment.
While the *revolution speech may be an indictment of the IRA, they haven't exactly been supporting the British troops either. It was always a broad "drop your arms, everyone on both sides" attitude. They even said at one point they'd rather support a cause that unites, rather than divides people. :shrug:

As for Bill Clinton support...what about it is so political ? Would US voters really be swayed because a loaded Irish rock star (I would not be surprised if that was 100% Bono's idea, and the others just went along reluctantly) is seen around with Clinton ?
Rallying against Reagan on stage is more political...that said most of the time Bono gets a lot of flack when he is referring to US policies (debt aid, gun control on Elevation...), especially on stage.

And as for a celebrity against nuclear testing...hardly shocking. :confused:

I consider what he does now, and has been doing since 1998, far more political. It's easy to rant on stage, actually getting involved is another matter.
Rather than his activism, I see their age more as a reason why they are *less political. You will note most of the above examples happened ages ago when a much younger U2 was more open and interested about the political topics.
Given their weak political execution of late (Native Son, the awkward POW routine on Vertigo tour during BTBS and the overlong reading of the Human rights declaration, the Suu Kyi masks...), I think the band should let their more political moments be in the past.

edit: that said I am surprised, with all the time and energy invested in his activism, more of Africa didn't enter the lyrics (rather than his interviews). Surely he has seen enough corruption, famine, disease, hurt ... to fill up many pages of lyrics. If he has talked about America and the broken relationship/s, why not about the corrupt globe ? I doubt G8 leaders are listening to U2 albums to see if the lyrics are politically correct.
I am guessing mortality might be the next grand theme he will use, especially since he had a medical emergency that could potentially end his/U2's career.

edit pt2 : great post U2387, especially And whatever the merits of that criticism, to suggest that the 2000's has been "rainbows and butterflies and everything in the world is fine" lyrically is not really accurate.

It's nice to see an occasional moment of Bono breaking from that and saying something even remotely political, like when he sang a bit of Get Up, Stand Up during SBS in Moscow.

I think at the time there was chatter with context around that, about why people were hoping Bono would say something, but I don't remember what it was, but that's what's making me think that snippet was overtly political.

In Moscow the volunteers fron ONE and Amnisty International were arrested before the concert on the charge of illegal asociation I think, the stadium was full of armed militia who were telling us even how much room we could occupy in the GA and when to move forward. From some information I got on my phone before the concert started Bono had to "speak to someone" (I don't really know the terms of this) to get the volunteers free, I personally saw Paul McGuinness talking to a group of militia, for a moment some of us thought that there was going to be no concert, but in the end it started, the volunteers got onto the stage, they played SBS with the Stand for your rights snippet and in the second encore they invited Yuri Schevchuk to perform with them, Yuri is the most important Russian rock star, but also one of the most important dissidents against Putin's policy (he was arrested the next week before I had left Russia in a demonstration).

I think they were quite political in this show, people in the stadium couldn't believe what they were watching, I must admit that I didn't understand everything at the moment and I had to make some research, but the Russians were perfectly aware of the meaning of it.

edit pt2 : great post U2387, especially And whatever the merits of that criticism, to suggest that the 2000's has been "rainbows and butterflies and everything in the world is fine" lyrically is not really accurate.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much!

I was referring mostly to Ireland with the political comment.
While the *revolution speech may be an indictment of the IRA, they haven't exactly been supporting the British troops either. It was always a broad "drop your arms, everyone on both sides" attitude. They even said at one point they'd rather support a cause that unites, rather than divides people. :shrug:

As for Bill Clinton support...what about it is so political ? Would US voters really be swayed because a loaded Irish rock star (I would not be surprised if that was 100% Bono's idea, and the others just went along reluctantly) is seen around with Clinton ?
Rallying against Reagan on stage is more political...that said most of the time Bono gets a lot of flack when he is referring to US policies (debt aid, gun control on Elevation...), especially on stage.

And as for a celebrity against nuclear testing...hardly shocking. :confused:

I consider what he does now, and has been doing since 1998, far more political. It's easy to rant on stage, actually getting involved is another matter.
Rather than his activism, I see their age more as a reason why they are *less political. You will note most of the above examples happened ages ago when a much younger U2 was more open and interested about the political topics.
Given their weak political execution of late (Native Son, the awkward POW routine on Vertigo tour during BTBS and the overlong reading of the Human rights declaration, the Suu Kyi masks...), I think the band should let their more political moments be in the past.

I understand what you are saying, but a few observations.

1.)IRA- I understand U2 hardly supported the British, quite the opposite. However, in the Ireland of the 80s, it was certainly a ballsy move to openly oppose the IRA like U2 did. Especially coming from Catholic backgrounds as they did. See Bono's comments about how uneasy they were the 1st time they played SBS in Belfast. U2 were already prominent in Ireland, then they go worldwide with New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, they're all of a sudden the best known Irishmen in the world. And they're out bashing the IRA.

Also, a good amount of this was targeted at Irish-Americans(usually 2nd generation or further removed) who cluelessly supported the IRA even though they had not an ounce of understanding of their brutality and what they were actually about. See the Rattle and Hum Sunday Bloody Sunday. As an aside, Whitey Bulger, now 2nd on the FBI's most wanted list to Bin Laden, helped oversee arms and money smuggling to the IRA from Boston. Many similar rings existed throughout America.

Anyways, the significance of U2 slamming the IRA and what it was doing for their publicity was not lost on the IRA themselves. They went as far as to threaten Bono with death.

2.)Bill Clinton: Taking the side of a major Party presidential candidate, or opposing them, is no small thing in the United States. It's the Democrats and the Republicans and that's it and they get all of the attention. If you take one side, it's considered very political. In the US, there are slightly more registered Democrats than Republicans and the majority are independents.

I understand they actually are personally involved now, particularly Bono, but they're not going to be endorsing candidates openly like they did back then. You didn't see them bashing Bush for the Iraq war on stage, even though they opposed it as strongly as they opposed Reagan's 80s foreign policy and Iranian drug lords who were flooding Dublin with heroin.

The rights readings, the videos, the masks, the torture reenactments and the "support ONE" speeches, though they can be awkward and time consuming as you say, aren't all that controversial. They're universal statements that people of all political leanings can and do support. End poverty? Free Iran? Free Burma? No controversy even in the subject lines, never mind how Bono presents it these days: "we need to come together, the left and the right."

3.)Gun control: I thought this was blown way out of proportion by the gun industry lobbying machine. All they did was play a dumb statement by Charlton Heston and then show a girl picking up a gun that probably a relative or other "good man" left around.

One of the 1st things I did when I got to be of age was get a license to carry from my Police Chief here in the Boston suburbs. I've been a gun owner for a while and take it seriously. I travel a lot late at night, drive through dangerous areas, live in a town with gang violence, etc. I don't think law abiding citizens should be denied carry permits.

That doesn't mean I want anything to do with the NRA, who's biggest issues as long as I've been around have been allowing criminals to buy guns at gun shows and preventing law enforcement from sharing gun trace data.

I don't think Bono, who walks around with armed security and wears bullet proof vests on occasion, has any problem with the people who own guns for self defense, most of whom have nothing to do with the NRA.

Anyways....the speech was at the very beginning, and then the song took a sharp, unmistakeable turn into condemning violence in general(Mark Chapman, 600K will go down in the streets of America...etc) leaving out any commentary on gun laws.

They could have pulled a John Mellencamp and scrolled the entire text of their opinions on gun laws behind them on a screen as they played, but they didn't. I think the purpose of Bullet 2001 was to make us think and examine the broader causes of violence.

Sorry to ramble, it's just my bottom line is this: I don't see how anyone could come away pissed off at U2 for being political in the 2000's as compared to the 1980's. They were a lot more likely to offend people of differing opinions back then.

1) I also remember people reading about people thinking SBS was a pro-IRA song in Irish pubs. :shrug: As for death threats...I remember reading both that it was real, and that it's a fake story.

They're universal statements that people of all political leanings can and do support. Yes, much like "drop your weapons, Britain and IRA", Free Suu Kyi, stop the Iraq war don't torture POWs, say no to nuclear testing etc... see what I mean ?

1) I also remember people reading about people thinking SBS was a pro-IRA song in Irish pubs. :shrug: As for death threats...I remember reading both that it was real, and that it's a fake story.

They're universal statements that people of all political leanings can and do support. Yes, much like "drop your weapons, Britain and IRA", Free Suu Kyi, stop the Iraq war don't torture POWs, say no to nuclear testing etc... see what I mean ?

Of course some people in Irish pubs thought that. But U2 set out to quickly and forcefully correct them, and that came through on stage. That's what I am talking about. It was controversial in some ways to go and basically tell these Irish Americans whose sympathies were with the IRA that they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

The IRA death threats were very real indeed.

I still wouldn't lump the 80s IRA-Britain rants in with what they do now at all.

Now it's all about everyone working together toward a common goal of freeing Burma, ending poverty or having free elections in Iran. Where they disagree, they are not overtly controversial and they don't highlight it in their shows for the most part.(Iraq was never mentioned with Bush or Blair at Vertigo concerts)

Then, it was fuck the IRA, they're wrong, fuck the Brits, Maggie Thatcher and her thugs in Belfast are wrong too.

The 80s approach led to death threats and a lot of pissed off partisans.

Today's approach, if it annoys people, leads simply to people leaving shows saying "I could've used Zoo Station and Out of Control in place of those 2 videos. We don't need politics."

Big, big difference.

In Moscow the volunteers fron ONE and Amnisty International were arrested before the concert on the charge of illegal asociation I think, the stadium was full of armed militia who were telling us even how much room we could occupy in the GA and when to move forward. From some information I got on my phone before the concert started Bono had to "speak to someone" (I don't really know the terms of this) to get the volunteers free, I personally saw Paul McGuinness talking to a group of militia, for a moment some of us thought that there was going to be no concert, but in the end it started, the volunteers got onto the stage, they played SBS with the Stand for your rights snippet and in the second encore they invited Yuri Schevchuk to perform with them, Yuri is the most important Russian rock star, but also one of the most important dissidents against Putin's policy (he was arrested the next week before I had left Russia in a demonstration).

He's somewhat of a hero in Russia. His band is very good, too. I think it was a year or so ago when he stood up and criticised Putin on national TV no less, I think.

I definitely hope the songs on the new album will surprise me. But I wasn't disappointed with NLOTH at all. Very good album....

This Irish guy came up to me one time at a bar in NY and asked me for a cigarette. I gave him one and we started talking. Knew instantly he was from Ireland. I asked him, semi-jokingly, if he like U2. He said nothing, pulled up his right sleeve, all serious, and showed me an IRA tatoo. So I just laughed (while shitting myself, for the guy was really drunk and prob could've turned belligerent at any second) and said "guess not." He proceeded to go off on a tangent, something like: "fuck those wankers, they don't know shit about anything. My family's been in IRA my whole life, if I see those fucks on the street I'll fucking kill them!" So I just nodded and was like "yea I understand." So I changed the subject. "How about Sinead O'Connor?" (this was a big mistake) - He was like "I love her, man! She's one of my best friends! I miss her so!" The guy seemed to be getting emotional, and I was a little uneasy and almost done with my cigarette, so I started to back away, trying to find a good exit line. He continued: "I was an altar boy, man. She knows what I went through!" So now I'm with an innebriated, emotional IRA soldier who's been molested by a priest, or more than one priest. I sympathized with the guy, but I had to get out of there!! So I just pretended my friend was calling me on my cell phone, and I said "I gotta take this, man. You be good!" And I went back inside to find my friends. True Story.

Wow. It is terrifying how warped people can be by partisan feelings, Bono, a man of peace "knows nothing" because he's Irish and doesn't happen to believe in the IRA's methods.

which song/album are you referring to Inner El Guapo?

Streets. There is a story about them struggling with the intro.

So what I mean is, if they struggle that much with the Streets intro ten years into being 'U2', then let's not expect them to be Rush and play mind-blowing 10 minute musical epics. Also Bono would need to be castrated to sound like Geddy Lee.

Or whatever, I just wanted to talk about Geddy Lee and balls.

He said the songs were taken away by Bono and given to Steve Lillywhite for fixing.

:sad:

Shhh!

No Rachel, Cee-Lo Green (DM's partner in Gnarls Barkley) said the other day that DM was wrapping up the U2 project.

Oh, OK, I knew about that already; I thought there was something new. How silly of me to think such a thing! :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom