I Have Heard The Album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
......and it is good.......

actually, I did tonight!!!:wave:

Without going into too many details, yeah, I have a friend from long ago that engineered the NY sessions last fall....I've mentioned this before. I don't want to say too much about him. We're starting to become close again and anyway he invited me to the city (NYC) for dinner and we met at the studio and he surprised me with a "want to hear the U2 album"?

and of course I was like "HELL YEAH!!!".

I did not ask too many questions, because I want to stay on his good side for buisness reasons. But let me say he played me about 2 minutes of each song, (which you could say is actually NOT hearing the whole record of course).
But comparing with the WM clips.....wow.

The songs are really good. I'm not willing to jump to "3rd masterpiece" because as I say, it was only 2 minutes each song. But it is really good.

I tried to remember as much as possible, but let me say: it does at times remind me of Peter Gabriel, and as I've actually said before, Sting. But in a U2/Passengers way.
I wonder about the writing credits, becase the Eno stamp is all over it.....Edge did not play all those keyboards......

Anyway,
NLOTH: reminds me of "Come Talk To Me" from Peter Gabriel.
Awesome.

Magnificent: UF with Morrocan drums.
Awesome.

MOS:
slinky funk ballad; reminds me most of Sting's "Brand New Day Album"...
Bono's vocal deliery is totally off the cuff.

UC:
Intro is the best since Streets....I almost teared up during it.....long intro, then the verse from the beach clip kicked in.... then he stopped it. Did not hear the Edge solo at the end.:sad:

Crazy:
A great tune as far as I can tell. Kind of like a SIAMYCGOO but with a nice funk groove. Way better than said previous tune.

Boots:
I still don't like it.

SUC:
the Zepplein riff is not on the WM clips.....it's a cool tune, but not my favorite.

Fez:
Passengers. Eno all ove the place; when it kicked in, my friend stoppped it...

WAS:
chilling, just like snow.
the music fits the title perfectly, more so than any U2 song in the last 10 years.

Breathe:
unlikely intro....I wasn;t crazy about this from the beach clip, but it's shaped up nicely. I still don't like the groove, but must concede they did a great job with it.

Cedars:
only heard 30 seconds...not enough to comment, but seems cool.

I'm pretty pumped for this album, but will refrain from any praise until we hear the whole thing.

BTW, my friend is working with Lanois on his next project....will keep y'all posted.

What's this madness? And how am I one of the first people to post here?
Anyway, nice to hear you liked the album, lucky bastard. :wink:

Also, Magnificent. :drool:

EDIT: So Unknown Caller is Beach Clip One? Good, I was getting worried.

You like the album?

I don't believe a word of this.

:wink:

Yeah, I'm waiting for you and BVS and LU to have a heart attack....
(no, not really....I wouldn't want that).......

but yeah....this is the real deal......

Yeah, I'm waiting for you and BVS and LU to have a heart attack....
(no, not really....I wouldn't want that).......

but yeah....this is the real deal......

Heh, I believe you. Well done.

That UC description is :drool:. I was already greatly anticipating that song.

Wow. Peter Gabriel is my favorite singer and I wanted a Passengers-like album

I have one question. Is MoS a really moody, ambient song? I've heard some people compare it to Your Blue Room. I loved the 30 second intro clip because it seemed nice and Passengers-ish. Does the whole song have that same feel to it?

I did not hear the whole song of MOS. Only maybe 2 minutes
But YBR is a good comparison....but more funk.....hard to describe......
Bono's melody is unexpected is the only way to describe it.

What else....NLOTH album version sounds alot like "Come Talk To Me" from Peter Gabriel...awesome.....drumming is African...

same melody and chords more or less as the B side .......

I will say this:

Boots is the turning point; the first half is upbeat and happy .......after Boots...dark.....

Looking forward to hearing this and playing it to no end for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom