I have a theory! - remix/dance album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I guess I have a weird taste in music because I loved the new version..:applaud: I'd like to hear it more remixed, a bit longer, full of crazy beats and such, but I'm glad with their work on this song..ah, of course I also love the original version.

Please, remix MOS.. jk ;)

Magnificent is the only U2 song of which I think the remixes are better than the original but the one they played sounds bland.

I've never listened to any of those Achtung Baby b-sides floating around all that much so I can't comment on that.

I know, I'm a bad fan now. :wink:

It's just that I'm not a big fan of remixes. Most remixes I've heard suck (imo) so that's why it surprised me that I liked some Magnificent remixes more than the normal version. Maybe I should have just posted that because, as I've said, I haven't listened to many remixes.

I'll give that Zooromancer remix a listen anyway,

I caught one of the shows from the Classic Albums tv series on BBC 4 last weekend - this one was about Primal Scream's 1991 record Screamadelica. What struck me most of all was the close correlation between what U2's thought process seems to be now - from what we can guess from this remove - and what Bobby Gillespie et al were thinking back in the early 1990s. The basic premise started with Gillespie's growing obsession with the dance music scene sweeping Britain, and extended to Andrew Weatherall remixing a single from Primal Scream's second album called 'I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have'. That remix proved so good it became 'Loaded'; 'Loaded' inspired them to try and replicate that 'club'/'rave' sound, and work with Weatherall and The Orb as producers on the full-length LP that became Screamadelica. The basic lesson for U2 in all of this was the role that the producers played in the process. According to the band, the songs were generally written and recorded before being handed over to the producer - primarily Weatherall, but also The Orb and others - to re-sculpt into the sound that became 'Come Together', etc. Hey presto: guitar band slightly alters its way of working, keeps its writing credits, enlists canny producer, and produces massive club hits.

Of course, you could argue that U2 have already partially tried this on Pop but I think if they're serious about going down the club route, this might have to be the path that they follow. Oh, and forget about David Guetta; given the amazing job Justice did on 'Get On Your Boots', they'd be better off handing the whole record over to them instead.

Here's the evidence from Primal Scream:

From 'I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have':
YouTube - Primal Scream - I'm losing more than I'll ever have

To 'Loaded':
YouTube - Primal Scream - Loaded (lyrics)

In one simple step...

Niceman said:
They're both awesome. I wouldn't want to pick.

Same, both are great.

If U2 replaced Scarlet with that in the arbitrarily-chosen obscurity slot, I wouldn't complain.

I caught one of the shows from the Classic Albums tv series on BBC 4 last weekend - this one was about Primal Scream's 1991 record Screamadelica. What struck me most of all was the close correlation between what U2's thought process seems to be now - from what we can guess from this remove - and what Bobby Gillespie et al were thinking back in the early 1990s. The basic premise started with Gillespie's growing obsession with the dance music scene sweeping Britain, and extended to Andrew Weatherall remixing a single from Primal Scream's second album called 'I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have'. That remix proved so good it became 'Loaded'; 'Loaded' inspired them to try and replicate that 'club'/'rave' sound, and work with Weatherall and The Orb as producers on the full-length LP that became Screamadelica. The basic lesson for U2 in all of this was the role that the producers played in the process. According to the band, the songs were generally written and recorded before being handed over to the producer - primarily Weatherall, but also The Orb and others - to re-sculpt into the sound that became 'Come Together', etc. Hey presto: guitar band slightly alters its way of working, keeps its writing credits, enlists canny producer, and produces massive club hits.

Of course, you could argue that U2 have already partially tried this on Pop but I think if they're serious about going down the club route, this might have to be the path that they follow. Oh, and forget about David Guetta; given the amazing job Justice did on 'Get On Your Boots', they'd be better off handing the whole record over to them instead.

To 'Loaded':

In one simple step...

2 of my fave Primal Scream tracks :up:

lol i'd never made the connection between the 2 before ha, thanks for the background!

I got more of an impression that the club album was new stuff. I would also think it strange if they released back catalogue remixes, however awesome they are, in lieu of releasing an album of new material. Maybe an EP straight after the tour to keep some hype going before a new album early next year / xmas 11.

Have to say though, this remix makes a song with bursting amount of potential go from being severely underwhelming to a passable moment of interest in the show.

Would love to see the EBTTRT remix get a studio release. Would also like it to be re-recorded, rather than using the 1991 version.

To 'Loaded':

In one simple step...

Interesting points. I believe Bono remarked that Primal Scream sounded like they were on "bad ecstacy" when they won the Mercury Music Prize in 1992 for Screamadelica. So it would be pretty ironic if 20 years later U2 decided to take a leaf out of Primal Scream's book!

I haven't seen a 360 show, so I can only assume Magnificent is one of those "it's actually much better when you're in the stadium" songs. It's massively underwhelming on video/bootleg. This version too.

I actually think that "Magnificent" is one of those U2 songs that is so good in its studio version that the live version(s) never reached that aura that the studio version brought.

This new live version wasn't "needed", I think. It didn't bring anything particularly interesting to the version already played.

I'm sorry, but these songs are crap. The dance remixes even worse. Whatever "edge" U2 had in the 90s has been completely neutered. They are almost unlistenable. Magnificent is awful.

I only listened to Magnificent remix once (yesterday) and didn't like it. It seemed to be missing some lyrics or a verse. Maybe I'm wrong. anyway, not a fan.

The Perfecto remixes from 1992 were awesome, especially for their time. But I felt the Salome Zooromancer mix was utter rubbish. It just meanders along with no real punch.

[The fact they turned one of the worst Berlin demo songs (Houses of Love) into a b-side (Salome) and then did a remix of it (Zooromancer) both surprised and disappointed me. There were some much better Hansa tracks they could have fixed/re-recorded.]

I'm sorry, but these songs are crap. The dance remixes even worse. Whatever "edge" U2 had in the 90s has been completely neutered. They are almost unlistenable. Magnificent is awful.

Amen brother. But try telling that to the "U2 sheeple" around here...

What is a "sheeple"?

FWIW, the song sounds fine, but I was never a massive fan of the original in the first place. But yeah, how dare U2 dare to do the things they do, fucking shame on them.

:rolleyes:

Right, people are not allowed to have different tastes, they should only think like you.

This type of response is so arrogantly toolish.

Shame we've got quite a few of these people on this forum.

:rolleyes:

Right, people are not allowed to have different tastes, they should only think like you.

This type of response is so arrogantly toolish.

My post was not directed at you, or any individual in particular. However, by inferring that my comment is "arrogantly toolish", you have technically committed a personal insult upon me. BVS, I have already requested that you do not respond to my posts. Your behaviour toward me is bordering on harassment/bullying. If you do this once more, I shall report you to the mods. I am requesting for the final time that you ignore me.

Back
Top Bottom