How to deal with new album expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleoscar

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I'm personally going to listen to as much other music out there before the new U2 drops by. I find when I don't listen to U2 for a long time and then pick up ANY U2 album later on I realize why they are the best.

I think a lot of people on this board are going to be U2'd out when the new album comes out; maybe even before it comes out. :doh:

Certainly those people who like the unfinished versions of songs that leak out more than the album versions have some psychological games going on in their mind.

How are you people going to deal with the new album? Do you have expectations that you want met? Do you have no expectations?

i am going to flood myself with U2.

U2 can never disappoint me! I do have very high expectations for the new album, but I haven't disliked anything they've done yet (passengers doesn;t count) so I am confident of great things.

It will be better than Bomb or ATYCLB, and hopefully, some of the oldschool board members who whinge about them will like it. Personally, I feel if you don't like U2 albums, don't flood those who do with opinionated garbage. We don't care how much you pine for the old days!

When I was listening to lots of Coldplay and Radiohead this past year I then popped in Achtung Baby and got an incredible thrill from it. It was like a new album. The ending of Mysterious Ways was like an adrenaline rush.

I'll listen to some Beck, classical music, Bryan Adams, Vampire Weekend, Duffy, and movie soundtracks. That will clear my pallette up for U2.

I have gotten U2'd out many times before. But with the release of the last two albums, I listened to U2 nonstop 2-3 months before the release. I had a reason to be excited....THE NEW FUCKING ALBUM!:D:lol::applaud::hyper::drool:

We might as well start discussing a related topic, since there will soon be a million threads about this: will you remain "celibate" until the album is released in the shops, or will you download and listen to it beforehand, when it inevitably gets leaked to the internet?

Personally, I think downloading it as soon as it's leaked is just so
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

:down:
We might as well start discussing a related topic, since there will soon be a million threads about this: will you remain "celibate" until the album is released in the shops, or will you download and listen to it beforehand, when it inevitably gets leaked to the internet?

Personally, I think downloading it as soon as it's leaked is just so
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I have no problems with downloading it, as long as you buy it aswell. I downloaded the last one, and my family bought 4 copies! (One each between me and my brother, one for mum and dad, and i bought the box set as well).

My philosophy is that, while people stealing music is wrong, artists robbing us for garbage is also wrong.

I had no problems downloading the last Red Hot Chili peppers album, and then not paying for it. It was shit

Advice for some people here:

Just stay calm, breathe in and breathe out, surround yourself with beautiful things, think positive, enjoy life .... everything will be okay. :wink:

Follow these instructions on a daily basis. If it doesn't work, go and seek professional help.

I try to avoid listening to U2 before any release of new material. They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime so hearing older stuff would create impossible expectations.

:tsk:

:rolleyes:

Cause you didn't like the last 2 albums?

I don't want to take this off course too much, but just think about this....Bono is arguably in a high point of his career vocally (I'm sure this argument will be substantiated with the new record), Edge hasn't changed much, he's been on fire since day 1 basically....Larry is in a slight slump perhaps , but really hasn't changed much in the grand scheme of things, and Adam is more interested in the music than ever it appears....

Now, looking at that.....how can you possibly say "They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime" ??!! I mean, it frustrates me to see stuff like this....they are way past their prime? really? I personally think the Vertigo Tour fucking owned....and was up there with the greatest of U2 tours...and I wouldn't be surprised if the next one surpassed it....and U2's popularity worldwide continues to soar as they remain "the biggest band in the world"....I just don't get it....:banghead:

I don't want to take this off course too much, but just think about this....Bono is arguably in a high point of his career vocally (I'm sure this argument will be substantiated with the new record), Edge hasn't changed much, he's been on fire since day 1 basically....Larry is in a slight slump perhaps , but really hasn't changed much in the grand scheme of things, and Adam is more interested in the music than ever it appears....

Now, looking at that.....how can you possibly say "They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime" ??!! I mean, it frustrates me to see stuff like this....they are way past their prime? really? I personally think the Vertigo Tour fucking owned....and was up there with the greatest of U2 tours...and I wouldn't be surprised if the next one surpassed it....and U2's popularity worldwide continues to soar as they remain "the biggest band in the world"....I just don't get it....:banghead:

brick_wall.jpg

Actually, while I like Pop I find that post-Passengers material lacks the magic and songwriting quality of their previous albums. That said there are a lot of artists that have released one of thier best albums after their prime. Bono's lyrics and Edge's playing are not of the same quality they used to be. The same with Adam and Larry. How an artist is live has nothing to do with whether they are in their prime. There are artists out there that haven't released worthwhile records in years but are still great live.

Actually, while I like Pop I find that post-Passengers material lacks the magic and songwriting quality of their previous albums. That said there are a lot of artists that have released one of thier best albums after their prime. Bono's lyrics and Edge's playing are not of the same quality they used to be. The same with Adam and Larry. How an artist is live has nothing to do with whether they are in their prime. There are artists out there that haven't released worthwhile records in years but are still great live.

Interesting--what makes you think Edge's playing is lower quality now? I've never really seen this suggested (or even really thought about it) which is why I'm asking.

Interesting--what makes you think Edge's playing is lower quality now? I've never really seen this suggested (or even really thought about it) which is why I'm asking.

It is pretty uninteresting these days. Edge at his best is a painter creating textures and soundscapes. Recently, it sounds like he is...holding back. He doesn't go for it like he used to. It is still Edge but it is not at all on the level of even Boy.

Yeah, that's fair. I think his style has definitely become more ordinary and boring, particularly on HTDAAB (ATYCLB definitely has some innovative and interesting bits). But I think that it probably boils down to which style you like more rather than any technical ability or even creativity. They wanted to write direct songs and the guitar backs that up. But I think he's still got it in him, and we will here it very soon. But I agree with you that Edge is best when he's painting textures and soundscapes--most notably on UF and JT (I think here he is at his most innovative, where he developed a sound that is uniquely his in the history of rock).

yes
I think Adam is also at his best when painting soundscape pictures :up:

I deal with the expectations by ordering the album online
and then follow up by listening to it when it arrives

Yeah, that's fair. I think his style has definitely become more ordinary and boring, particularly on HTDAAB (ATYCLB definitely has some innovative and interesting bits). But I think that it probably boils down to which style you like more rather than any technical ability or even creativity. They wanted to write direct songs and the guitar backs that up. But I think he's still got it in him, and we will here it very soon. But I agree with you that Edge is best when he's painting textures and soundscapes--most notably on UF and JT (I think here he is at his most innovative, where he developed a sound that is uniquely his in the history of rock).

Yeah... In God's Country being one of the finer examples of classic Edge! Atmosphere and depth... that is what's been missing lately I think and especially on the Bomb. JT, AB, UF, Zooropa, Pop they all have varying degrees of space and depth. Bomb has none. ATYCLB has very little. Think Stateless. That song has more depth than all of ATYCLB. Anyway, as for the new album I'm gonna try not to have any expectations because I don't want to be disappointed. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised.

I really wish people wouldn't hype this album up so much. Ever since Coldplay's latest album was so loved so much of what I hear is that this will be the most amazing album. So many posters are clinging on to the smallest thing to try to defend that claim. No one knows what the new album will be like but so many people are going to be disappointed with these high expectations. Though the quotes from the band and producers don't help.

I don't think that anyone is buying newpaper space to promote the upcoming album
when they ask Lanois or Eno about the new U2 album 50 times they're bound to give some sort of answer at least twice just to stop the same question being asked
and I don't think they're gonna say "it's meh" instead of their opinion just to spare some tender souls on the internet

besides, unless you're a U2 nerd you would probably not even be aware a new album is on its way
so any claims of hype don't make a heap of sense to me

It is pretty uninteresting these days. Edge at his best is a painter creating textures and soundscapes. Recently, it sounds like he is...holding back. He doesn't go for it like he used to. It is still Edge but it is not at all on the level of even Boy.

could you be any more vague?

how about if i say, it really sounds like edge is pushing the envelope these days, getting more and more creative. he really seems to be 'going for it' (whatever the hell that means) and is so far above the level of achtung baby.

i don't care if you don't like the last couple of albums and think they are writing good songs anymore, but back it up with something, anything. these extremely vague opinions are impossible to respond to and add nothing to the converstation.

but he did back it up!
he mentioned "textures and soundscapes"

now that should win any discussion
along with "sonically inventive"

:up:

but he did back it up!
he mentioned "textures and soundscapes"

:up:

damn, i missed that. that is so obviously true, its common knowledge that all u2 music after achtung baby is devoid of 'textures and soudscapes". after all everyone knows that the 'textures and soundscapes' is the pinnacle of all guitar playing and everything else just doesn't measure up. edge really should just hang it up. :wink:

You know what's funny, I think the most textured and interesting and "original Edge" guitar part on the entire HTDAAB is on one of the most hated songs--Yahweh. I love the intro and the rambling guitar throughout really reminds me of In God's Country. During the chorus, the guitar soars like Rejoice or the end of Gloria.

This seems to me to be a little dramatic. The last 2 albums were better than Boy by a long shot. I think some people are just U2'd out. Coldplay's new album is good but not on par with most U2 albums for lyrics, and musical complexity, and THEY are in their prime.

I think hardcore U2 fans in general need to listen to more Coldplay and other bands so they can see what it's like to be Coldplay'd out:yawn:

Be Radiohead'd out.

If Bob Dylan can have amazing comebacks in old age, so can U2.

But what is "recently" anyway? 2004?

"These days" = 4 years? Joshua Tree & Achting Baby had four years in between, and they sound nothing like each other at all.

This seems to me to be a little dramatic. The last 2 albums were better than Boy by a long shot. I think some people are just U2'd out. Coldplay's new album is good but not on par with most U2 albums for lyrics, and musical complexity, and THEY are in their prime.

I think hardcore U2 fans in general need to listen to more Coldplay and other bands so they can see what it's like to be Coldplay'd out:yawn:

Be Radiohead'd out.

If Bob Dylan can have amazing comebacks in old age, so can U2.

Actually I think Boy is light years better than the last two albums and even Pop. I'd say the same about Edge's guitar playing. I'm not U2'd out. They just aren't up to their standards.

I really don't see what Coldplay, Radiohead or Bob Dylan have to do with anything. :shrug:

Actually I think Boy is light years better than the last two albums and even Pop. I'd say the same about Edge's guitar playing. I'm not U2'd out. They just aren't up to their standards.

I really don't see what Coldplay, Radiohead or Bob Dylan have to do with anything. :shrug:

Not upto standard in your eyes, please dont speak on behalf of me.

Back
Top Bottom