How to deal with new album expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you talking about atmosphere? Because every album has at least one atmospheric track!

Boy - Ocean
October - Scarlet/October
War - Drowning Man/Surrender
UF - Several!
JT - Several!
RH - Heartland
AB - UTEOTW, Ultraviolet
Zooropa - title track
Pop - Velvet Dress, IGWSHA, WUDM
ATYCLB - When I Look..., Grace
Bomb - OSC, Yahweh (to an extent)

It isn't the sound of the band anymore. I'll give you Velvet Dress but not the others. They have gone away from their thing. The problem is you are still being subjective. Objectively you can see a complete shift from them being "them".

What is "them?" What you think they are in your own head? How does what you think "they" are and what I think 'they' are make you any more right or wrong than me? What you're suggesting is that your opinion of the band and their musical direction is the be all end all, which is totally (no pun) screwy.

This is your standard of course. Maybe U2 want to do something different. The emotion on HTDAAB was palpable as well as in ATYCLB. Partly they were reacting to the fact that people thought they were lost on POP. Usually U2 has to change it up every so often because albums like Passengers or even Achtung Baby can be criticized for being "too ethereal" if they stay on a certain path too long. I don't find too much ethereal with All I want is you, Desire, Hawkmoon, much of the first 3 albums, but they are good nonetheless.

I do love Passengers though. I hope they will make do on their promise for a Passengers sequel. Even if it is just b-sides with nice instrumentals on album singles. That's okay with me.

No, it isn't my standard. When you look at the band subjectively you will see their sound is the ethereal. None of you will look at them objectively and examine their career. I can't show you anything if you don't listen.

At this point, I must assume this is a joke and you are pulling our collective leg, Screwtape2. Am I right?

:|

You don't see it do you? How can a concept such as "ethereal" be quantified? I understand what you are saying and believe it or not, I kind of agree with you but that doesn't change the fact that you are still stating opinion as fact.

On top of that, this is your definition of creativity and since at its very nature, creativity is SUBJECTIVE it may not be anyone else's definition.

Any word can be quantified because it has a spirit to it. A word is simply is. It isn't opinion, it is factual observation based on objectivity.

I don't understand why you are talking about creativity. The ethereal isn't U2's thing because of creativity. It is simply who the artist is.

At this point, I must assume this is a joke and you are pulling our collective leg, Screwtape2. Am I right?

You would think that, wouldn't you?

/argument

fair enough, I can see now that being subjective or objective has little to do with logic I guess...

Any word can be quantified because it has a spirit to it. A word is simply is. It isn't opinion, it is factual observation based on objectivity.

I don't understand why you are talking about creativity. The ethereal isn't U2's thing because of creativity. It is simply who the artist is.

So because they haven't used enough Eno keyboard noises on the last three albums they have somehow lost their "magic" or whatever you want to call it?

wow... ok, I'm just going to walk away now.

What is "them?" What you think they are in your own head? How does what you think "they" are and what I think 'they' are make you any more right or wrong than me? What you're suggesting is that your opinion of the band and their musical direction is the be all end all, which is totally (no pun) screwy.

Have you heard a word I've said? It isn't my opinion. It is a factual observation based on objectivity. It is them because that is who they are. That is their mark.

It is them because that is who they are. That is their mark.

...which is your opinion! It it your opinion that they have made their mark with the ethereal style. That is the part of their music YOU relate to the most. But somebody else could say that they like the direct songwriting or busy production the most and that that is U2's "mark".

Have you heard a word I've said? It isn't my opinion. It is a factual observation based on objectivity. It is them because that is who they are. That is their mark.

U2 has made many, many albums that have not contained Brian Eno keyboards and atmospherics, and people seemed to like those just fine. There are only two U2 albums that I would say are wholly ethereal (UF, JT). U2 has a larger musical palate than you believe they should have.

In short, I believe that your "observation" is incorrect.

I'm sorry that none of you are open-minded and willing to listen enough to actually to see what I'm saying. This isn't so difficult to understand if you listen. You could learn so much if you only listened to what I am saying.

subjective -- placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric

egocentric -- having little or no regard for interests, beliefs, or attitudes other than one's own

(definitions from dictionary.com)

Screwtape I think its best to let this argument go.
With due respect, doesn't the fact that nobody agrees with you tell you something?
I dont want to end up having to close this thread.

I let it go twenty minutes ago. Everyone else is keeping it going.

Yet you're still here reading our arguments, backhandedly attempting to guilt us for keeping a conversation going that you never explicitly left. Why is this?

Sicy, if you don't won't arguing (although there's been really no name calling or rule breaking going on), you'll have to close this thread. And most of these threads, actually.

"Most of these threads" may have arguing but when it goes round and round and round like this it is in the rules that the thread may be closed.

I know its easy to just say 'walk away' but it really is, just click this button.

redx.jpg

Arguing is sometimes necessary. I don't get off on it, especially when the topic of discussion is ridiculous, but as long as everyone is staying within the rules, it should be allowed IMO. No one has called Screwy an idiot, nor has he done that to us.

This discussion probably isn't going anywhere, but there are so many threads in EYKIW that don't even make an attempt to go somewhere.

On the actual subject of the thread, I've found that while getting caught up in the pre-release hype when some of my favourite bands is certainly a thrill, I actually enjoy the album more if I limit my exposure to that hype and just let the album speak for itself when I get it. Whether anyone else likes it or not is completely irrelevant to me. All that really matters (to me) is if I like it.

So I don't really pay much attention to leaks or reviews or threads discussiong whether or not a band has lost "it" (unless I'm bored :wink: ).

Calm down. I'm not trying to guilt anyone. I was just stating a fact for Sicy.

I like the discussion. I certainly know that everyone has different opinions and they are not "stupid". Certainly there is an argument over the denotation of ethreal, objective, subjective, and standards which can't be reconciled. Like Bono once said "We have no style."

At minimum I wanted to see what strategies people will have to eliminate the exagerrated expectations and personal expectations which we all have. Will we listen to the music as it is, or do comparisons with other bands and albums?

Can a person listen to something so much that they can't enjoy it anymore? I find I need a period of time to listen to something else. When a new album comes out I listen to it lots but then I get the feeling that I'm satisfied and I want to try something else. That's just normal, even for a fan.

hi guys.
the new u2 album is called.

The Forgettable fire.

cheers

Are you trying to get a rise out of people cos I don't think you're gonna achieve that intended purpose. :scratch:

Your posts usually come off more comical than anything else. lol.

Back
Top Bottom