How Much Will Sales be Affected by Downloads? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:20 AM
How Much Will Sales be Affected by Downloads?

What do you think? 20%? 5% 50%? Think about it. If it were to sell 5 million copies if downloading did not exist, and they lose 20% to downloading, that's 1 million copies! Even if it's only 5% then that's 250,000 copies - still a lot. Many bands would give their collective right nuts to sell 250,000 albums.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 PM
U2 are the ind of band that a) big fans will download early, and then buy.

b) their music is gifted a LOT by people who don't know what to get someone, but they assume everyone likes U2. That gives them a fair few sales most bands dont get.

I dont think it effects U2 nearly as much as other artists because, 250,000 units is a lot to most, but to U2, 5 million vs 4.75 million doesnt seem a huge difference

Old 02-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:20 AM
I think it will effect U2 a lot less than most bands. People don't just want to hear the catchy single, they want the experience. Not only will U2's album sell well, but the $100 collectors edition will sell well!!!!

Yeah, everyone here will download the album when it leaks, but then we'll be buying it, without question.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Downloads will affect it like any other release and the album will be lucky to sell anything close to three quarters what the Bomb sold. Due to downloads, no matter what it will probably sell less than Pop did
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
U2 are the ind of band that a) big fans will download early, and then buy.

b) their music is gifted a LOT by people who don't know what to get someone, but they assume everyone likes U2. That gives them a fair few sales most bands dont get.
Agree
Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Downloads will affect it like any other release and the album will be lucky to sell anything close to three quarters what the Bomb sold. Due to downloads, no matter what it will probably sell less than Pop did

You reckon?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Refugee

I doubt the effect will be pronounced.

This isn't hip-hop.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Oasis' Dig Out Your Soul was leaked almost two weeks prior release. It went on to sell 200,000 copies on its first week, but fell to 70,000 on the next week. And despite having a higher spot, it sold less than Don't Believe the Truth on its first week on the U.S., selling 53,000.

I guess downloads won't affect "that" much, but they will have some impact in sales. But other factors are involved; if NLOTH is released and it starts to get praise and glowing reviews, the sales WILL increase. If the album produces a "Viva La Vida", sales WILL increase.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 08:20 AM
More bands should follow the latest Nine Inch Nails model... give away a basic download of the music, then charge for a physical CD, box sets, collector sets, etc.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Seidman View Post
What do you think? 20%? 5% 50%? Think about it. If it were to sell 5 million copies if downloading did not exist, and they lose 20% to downloading, that's 1 million copies! Even if it's only 5% then that's 250,000 copies - still a lot. Many bands would give their collective right nuts to sell 250,000 albums.
Do people really download an album and never buy an official copy? I feel like people who do this wouldn't have purchased the album in the first place, seriously. The flip side of the download debate is: Why doesn't the music industry let you return albums you don't like after you pay for them? Even with 30-second previews, I've been burned buying new music and finding out I don't like it. That's an expensive mistake. I feel like people who download illegally do so because they're not sure they'll like an album, so they get the free copy as a preview. If they like it enough to become a fan, I feel like money eventually gets spent, probably many times over the value of the illegally downloaded material. I'd like to see some hard data from the record industry about money they actually lose due to illegal downloading (anybody can project numbers using statistics, but hard data are a different story).
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmaxfield View Post
Do people really download an album and never buy an official copy?
I think there's a real generation gap there. If you took a poll of teens and tweens, I'd bet many of them have never paid for an album in their life. They have very limited resources so why spend money on something you can get for free?

As for my grumpy old self, I've already pre-ordered the deluxe box set, a CD from Australia, and the deluxe iTunes version; so I'm covering for me and two freeloaders.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I'm in college, one of the questions in class was
"Who here has illegally downloaded an album in the last few weeks?"
Nearly everyone raised their hands
"Who here's bought a cd in the last few weeks?"
Two people raised their hands

Downloading definitely does affects sales. The best selling album of the last three years sold 10 million, albums could sell that in the US 10 years ago.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Downloading definitely does affects sales. The best selling album of the last three years sold 10 million, albums could sell that in the US 10 years ago.
What about LEGAL downloads? Those 10mlns for example are only CD sales?or do they also count full album downloads from iTunes and other stores?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathiu View Post
What about LEGAL downloads? Those 10mlns for example are only CD sales?or do they also count full album downloads from iTunes and other stores?
Full legal download albums sales are still TINY, that format really isn't taking off like digital singles. The 10 million (closer to 11 now though) are downloads + CD sales
Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
War Child

Dowloading from iTunes or mp3s from sites like amazon, play.com etc don't interest me. I always want to have the physical CD and packaging to feel like I've got something. I'm guessing a lot of U2 fans are the same? I mean heck, if they're willing to buy the DVD's U2 release then sure as hell are gonna buy the CD albums - well, speaking for myself other U2 fans I know.