How Much Will Sales be Affected by Downloads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think if this album gets a good start with GOYB (promotion shows and radio) and if a leak happens that casual U2 fans like then it and it will sell good. But still a lot has to do with Video channels like MTV, Much Music and MuchMore Music and other stations from other countries.

I know MTV usually does The Hills (same as MuchMore Music now) and more reality shows but we have to hope for the best not just rely on radio. It all comes down to the promotion of this album and how people react and also how U2 prevent leaks for the complete album.

There are many younger people who still look at U2 as middle age but what's weird they still bought AC/DC so maybe there's a chance for good sales with all generations if the album lives to the hype of the reviews. The kids still are looking for good music and good videos which GOYB defintely has.

There's no reason that legal downloads can't be lossless, especially with storage capacity and bandwidth increasing all the time. I've bought a couple of albums in FLAC format, and Apple has their own lossless format that's compatible with iPods, Apple TV, AirTunes, etc. I'm hoping that downloads are actually better than CD quality at some point. My receiver can handle a 24-bit, 192-kHz digital signal.

CDs are sampled at 16-bits, right?

Kids these days don't care to walk into a record store and browse the shelves to see the new dr dre or 50 cent album on the rack, ready to be picked up, taken home, and slammed onto the deck. They don't GET that authenticity, that magical experiance. I do. In fact, next week, I plan on visiting HMV and picking up an arcade fire disk, to add to my still new collection of CDs. I only just started collecting...I've only just began listening to music, really :lol: (viva la vida, parachutes, pop, how to, U218. I can't wait to have a whole shelf full! Just like my mum and dads cupboard of a hundred odd vynll. I wanna add some Arcade, who else though? )

I know it can be a bit expensive ($12-$20) but I've found a renewed interest in music by purchasing vinyl. I plan on purchasing the vinyl of NLOTH and have recently purchased the re-masters this way. Vinyl sounds great, is loose-less, and doesn't depreciate as much as CD. Plus some bands add bonus tracks, coupon to download the album for free, and there is always colored vinyl :hyper:

just out of curiosity, what are the numbers of the most recent albums of Metallica, AC/DC and G&R?
they are - lets say ;) - in U2's league... and what's more important they also have "older" (CD-buying) fans...

2008 sales (worldwide):
GN'R - 1, 6 million
Metallica - 3,6 million
AC/DC - 5,0 million

Amazing is that the best album of 2008 only sold 1,6 million copies... that album should've sold 10 million at least.

Way more people will hear it, but way less people will pay for it. I'm guessing half of everyone with it on their computer will get it for free, the other half will pay. But I'd guess 15 million people will have it on their computer.

2008 sales (worldwide):
GN'R - 1, 6 million
Metallica - 3,6 million
AC/DC - 5,0 million

Slight update on those sales and a few more interesting ones from Big rock bands and also the internet's favourites

Coldplay - 6.97 million (Best selling 2008 release)
AC/DC - 5.28 million
Metallica - 3.77 million
Kings of Leon - 2.39 million
Nickelback - 2.27 million
Radiohead - 1.87 million
Guns N Roses - 1.82 million
The Killers - 1.78 million
R.E.M. - 1.26 million
Oasis - 1.12 million
Snow Patrol - 0.78 million
Vampire Weekend - 0.75 million
Weezer - 0.67 million
The Verve - 0.58 million
Fleet Foxes - 0.46 million
Sigur Rós - 0.42 million
Kaiser Chiefs - 0.27 million
The Cure - 0.26 million
Razorlight - 0.18 million

I can't believe Fleet Foxes outsold Sigur Rós :ohmy:

Wow there are some really terrible bands in there. And some great ones.

I would like someone could explain to me why stealing music is considered more appropiate than stealing other things, I mean I can understand stealing food if you can't afford it, but if you can't afford music you can always have it on the radio for free, it isn't necessary to have every published album and I really think any person in a Western country can afford an album a month.

Because music isn't a physical good. It has virtually zero marginal cost. It is classified as copyright infringement instead. If I download a song, I am not depriving anybody of it (though they may lose the revenue from it) and there is an infinite "amount" of music.

This is why traditional economic analysis (focusing on scarce resources) cannot be directly applied to the digital world.

Another thing to remember is that the music labels have treated consumers badly in the eyes of many and this is their "karma". Their continued focus on 1 download = 1 lost sale, is an example of their stupidity.

That said, I hate the way downloading (illegal and legal) has turned music into a commodity to be consumed in a throw-away fashion rather than an investment.

Slight update on those sales and a few more interesting ones from Big rock bands and also the internet's favourites

Coldplay - 6.97 million (Best selling 2008 release)
AC/DC - 5.28 million
Metallica - 3.77 million
Kings of Leon - 2.39 million
Nickelback - 2.27 million
Radiohead - 1.87 million
Guns N Roses - 1.82 million
The Killers - 1.78 million
R.E.M. - 1.26 million
Oasis - 1.12 million
Snow Patrol - 0.78 million
Vampire Weekend - 0.75 million
Weezer - 0.67 million
The Verve - 0.58 million
Fleet Foxes - 0.46 million
Sigur Rós - 0.42 million
Kaiser Chiefs - 0.27 million
The Cure - 0.26 million
Razorlight - 0.18 million

I can't believe Fleet Foxes outsold Sigur Rós :ohmy:

Where did you get that info? I always like to know those things and this seems to be really accurate.
Oh, and btw, Kid Rock sold almost 2 million copies in 2008 on the strenght of only one hit single. ;) (I like him, don't bash me.)
Linkin Park, due to a solid fanbase sold 5-6 millions last year. (This one I don't like :no:)

Where did you get that info? I always like to know those things and this seems to be really accurate.
Oh, and btw, Kid Rock sold almost 2 million copies in 2008 on the strenght of only one hit single. ;) (I like him, don't bash me.)
Linkin Park, due to a solid fanbase sold 5-6 millions last year. (This one I don't like :no:)

World Wide Albums

The guy uses data from the mediatraffic chart and when an album drops out uses whatever data he has to estimate its sales. It's not 100% but it's the closest you'll get online.

Back
Top Bottom