How many songs should the new album have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Let's have a vote! Be reasonable and choose a # that would likely fit a disc of U2's music.

I say, ten. Last two albums clearly had one downright terrible abortion of a song (Crumbs, Stand Up Comedy), so I'd rather they excise the most tedious, rock-by-numbers tracks in advance.

very tough to say....lets assume these will be there.

mercy
north star
every breaking wave

I know there were a couple other random titles

"The Sacred Heart of Malibu"
"Mother of Pearl"

"Return of the Stingray Guitar" ? who the hell knows
another song from the white board I remember is "not as yet"

so these titles are 7...maybe two more if all of these are used.

don't think glastonbury will make the cut...just seems made for the festival.

I would guess nine songs? it hopefully will be at least 8.

First of all, Crumbs and Stand Up Comedy are definitely NOT terrible abortions of songs.

And I think the next album will have twelve tracks.

I'd rather have 12 songs than 9, even if the latter choice was filled with only the good songs, because even the worst of u2 songs are still pretty good, and they'll always be enjoyed by some even if they're not loved by others...
I'd rather have the maximum amount of songs, even if they were less than perfect. I'd rather hear as much u2 material as possible than have an abbreviated, 'perfect' album which is still likely to contain blemishes in some fans eyes anyway.

If there's going to be another album shortly afterwards, then 8 is fine. If it's going to be the only album we'll get for years, then there had better be 10 at the minimum, 12 ideally.

If they're really sitting on such a mountain of material, then there's no excuse for them to just release a little album with 8 songs and then disappear for 5 years.

Would you rather have eight songs of the caliber of "Beautiful Day" and "City of Blinding Lights" and "Moment of Surrender" or twelve songs of the caliber of "A Man and a Woman" and "When I Look At The World" and "Stand Up Comedy"?

I think a lot of you would prefer the latter since you'll make yourself like the new U2 album, regardless. Just let me say that I heard nary a negative response to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb around these parts when it was released, the love for it being through the roof.

Would you rather have eight songs of the caliber of "Beautiful Day" and "City of Blinding Lights" and "Moment of Surrender" or twelve songs of the caliber of "A Man and a Woman" and "When I Look At The World" and "Stand Up Comedy"?

I think a lot of you would prefer the latter since you'll make yourself like the new U2 album, regardless. Just let me say that I heard nary a negative response to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb around these parts when it was released, the love for it being through the roof.

What makes you think that just because there are 12 songs and not 8 that they will be sub-par?

What makes you think that just because there are 12 songs and not 8 that they will be sub-par?

Exactly, there's no logic to assuming that an 8-track album would have entirely great songs, and a 12 track album would suddenly have entirely mediocre ones.
The 12 track one would have all the 8 good ones, plus 4 extra songs. Even if those extra 4 aren't loved by every fan, it's still extra u2 music!

On an unrelated thought, i could imagine u2 releasing only 6-8 songs, and calling it an EP - that way, if it doesn't do that well, they can brush it off because it wasn't their 'next, big project', it was a little side-dish and was irrelevant. I hope it doesn't come to that, but i could see the band being terrified of 2 flops in a row.

Back
Top Bottom