How many albums will U2 do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
U2 have so far had 13 studio albums (14 if you count Passengers, but apparently, it doesn't count). And then there's EPs, live albums, and compilations, which don't count either.

REM ended their career on 15 albums.... Do you think U2 might do the same?

PS - I am not in any way saying they should end any time soon. I am just merely asking what people think may happen in the future.

It depends on how long this next one takes to come out.

If they really can put it out next year, than another 1-2 albums after Experience isn't out of the question.

If it's another 4 years before we get a new one, than I there's a much better shot at the next one being the last or possibly second to last.

So 2-3 if experience comes out soon. 1-2 if it doesn't.

So yea... 2, give or take

It also wouldn't stun me if, when they go to finish this album, and it spirals out of control in typical U2 fashion, that they end up releasing a couple of new tracks on a best of, tour based off of that, and never actually release a full new album again.

So basically I think their entire future depends on them being able to get this next one out in a short time frame.

If, like they've suggested, they stop trying to make Earth shattering pop hits and just making good music (and not touring for two years per album) I could see them making four or five more records.

omg am i the only one who is going to post "why all the stoopid questions?" :ohmy:

They'll easily pass REM's 15 mark. The better question is how many tours we've left.

I don't follow U2 very much these days, but I am honestly shocked that they are still obsessively trying to keep up with the (younger) Joneses.

U2 are so weird... Every other long-term, 'big' artist achieved and accepted dinosaur status reluctantly or gradually, but everyone accepted it earlier than they do. Elvis entered dinosaur status by age 30... Three of The Beatles by age 35 or so... Led Zep's drummer died, saving them from having to face MTV... most 60s' survivors gave up and became relics in the 80s when they were 40... R.E.M. held out longer than most, but even they gave up trying to follow industry trends by their early 40s, at latest. U2 are now only a decade from being senior-citizens and they're still trying to lead the charge in the industry, set trends, and keep up with the latest pop fads.

I admire their boundless energy, but I think how many records they will eventually produce will depend partly on how long this energy can hold out. Once they give up the group-facade thing (e.g., once Larry gets frustrated one too many times and calls bullshit on the whole thing) and/or once they give-up trying to top the chart and tour like they were 21, then the 6-year-cycle of endless waits for albums and long tours will be broken. That will free them up to write and record at will, the way artists their age should.

On the other hand, if their energy and team-play continues into their 60s, then we're only going to get a new album every seven years, which means one more album before their bus-pass years, and maybe another after that.

Since I'm not arsed about U2 playing live and have no interest in seeing their touring spectacle, I guess I personally hope they have a major blow-up in the ranks and the whole 'mega-band' thing which was old in 1997 will finally be pensioned-off. Then, we might get a new album every year or two.

I'm one who would rather more albums at this point and less touring. A lot of people on this forum seem to live for tours.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it will be SoE and one more after that.
Songs of Ascent!

Since they're in their mid-50s now, if they release SoE next year, then tour some more, they'll be in their late-50s by the time it ends. Then another 4-5 years before a new album. 2 years of touring. Mid-60s.

Last edited:
15 albums would be a beautiful way of going out.

But then again, I do have severe OCD.

Once they give up the group-facade thing (e.g., once Larry gets frustrated one too many times and calls bullshit on the whole thing) and/or once they give-up trying to top the chart and tour like they were 21, then the 6-year-cycle of endless waits for albums and long tours will be broken. That will free them up to write and record at will, the way artists their age should.

On the other hand, if their energy and team-play continues into their 60s, then we're only going to get a new album every seven years, which means one more album before their bus-pass years, and maybe another after that.

Since I'm not arsed about U2 playing live and have no interest in seeing their touring spectacle, I guess I personally hope they have a major blow-up in the ranks and the whole 'mega-band' thing which was old in 1997 will finally be pensioned-off.

:cute:

Edit

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1451419619.212791.jpg
    ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1451419619.212791.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
U2 have so far had 13 studio albums (14 if you count Passengers, but apparently, it doesn't count). And then there's EPs, live albums, and compilations, which don't count either.

REM ended their career on 15 albums.... Do you think U2 might do the same?

PS - I am not in any way saying they should end any time soon. I am just merely asking what people think may happen in the future.

Well, we know we will be getting "Songs Of Experience" and "Songs Of Ascent" as albums. That would make it 15.

I'd say there is a small chance they would end it there, but I think its highly unlikely. They love what they do and they love working and playing live together. Why stop?

I'm thinking will get 3 more albums from them in the 20s which will take them to 18 total. They will continue into their 70s and work on two more albums to finish out at 20. Although done with recording, they will probably continue to tour all though at a much more relaxed pace.

Back
Top Bottom