How long will U2 be gone for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ozeeko said:
I don't know what's worse, Radiohead fanatics or "RH fans that go out of their way to explain their level of fandom, admitting they like the band, and that the band is talented, yet is not as talented or as great as the media makes them out to be, but does like them a lot, but not too much, for that would be too hipsterish, no, instead they like the band but can't just admit to the fact without smuggly pointing out the existence of far better artists, while implying (or sometimes outrightly stating) that the RH fan on the other end of the conversation is uneducated in music, hence...that fan's opinion lacks credibility, while all the while...." oh - Fuck it. I'll start over.

I don't know what's worse. Radiohead fanatics or BVS.

:wink:

:applaud:

The best songs on Pop are as good as U2 gets, but half of it is weak, or the worst U2 had done up to that point. Passengers is consistent, U2's most daring work, had a few outstanding songs and no bad ones. Still not as good as most albums that preceeded it, though.

Why do so many U2 fans get defensive when Radiohead are brought up?

:up:

Radiohead comes up because they have the "cool" factor that we all wish U2 still had. Radioheas does things their own way, and I think we all wish U2 would be as brave and bold with their career and music choices.

Also, I love Pop. Every song. I don't care what anyone says. I had that album a few weeks early due to a record industry pal I had back in 1997. I had no idea it was supposed to be a "bad" album. My initial, "holy shit" response while listening to it, still remains. Bold, brave, wild, screwed up and somewhat messy, it's U2 aggresively searching for something new. Who cares if they didn't totally find it.

Radiohead comes up because they have the "cool" factor that we all wish U2 still had. Radioheas does things their own way, and I think we all wish U2 would be as brave and bold with their career and music choices.

speak for yourself.

u2 was braver and bolder than radiohead every were in the 90s, while still remaining incredibly relevant in the mainstream music scene, and selling out stadiums worldwide.

let's see where radiohead is in their 4th decade of existence.

no band has ever been able to maintain a level of cultural importance for as long as u2 has. that we're even discussing the possibility of them releasing a hit album is a miracle in it's own right, and we've all become a tad bit spoiled by it.

speak for yourself.

u2 was braver and bolder than radiohead every were in the 90s, while still remaining incredibly relevant in the mainstream music scene, and selling out stadiums worldwide.

let's see where radiohead is in their 4th decade of existence.

no band has ever been able to maintain a level of cultural importance for as long as u2 has. that we're even discussing the possibility of them releasing a hit album is a miracle in it's own right, and we've all become a tad bit spoiled by it.

yep.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but I do wish the Radiohead fellato here would stop. Believe it or not, RH have their own fansites where you can go and jerk off to them to your heart's content.

Radiohead are about to enter their ATYCLB phase. Maybe they'll start making soccer mom music and we'll all see that every band at some point becomes the Rolling Stones, and the world will make sense.

Radiohead are about to enter their ATYCLB phase. Maybe they'll start making soccer mom music and we'll all see that every band at some point becomes the Rolling Stones, and the world will make sense.

They already started that phase.

In Rainbows was hipster soccer mom music...

Yeah, I meant spring at all for an album following NLOTH. Or probably ever given the 'stigma' of the March release of Pop and NLOTH.

ah, i thought you meant i was thinking spring of next year...:doh:

but to your point, possibly.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but I do wish the Radiohead fellato here would stop. Believe it or not, RH have their own fansites where you can go and jerk off to them to your heart's content.
Their biggest fan forum, Atease, makes the new album thread here look normal.

Now we all know that a may release isn't going to happen, i was wondering when we will see the next album.
I think there are two options:

1) They do the 4-5 year cycle thing, and release something in 2013/2014.
2) They make a quicker than usual comeback, in 2012, after a short rest once the 360 tour is done.

Both options have drawbacks and benefits. If they disappear for another few years, and maximise the gap between albums, it's likely that they risk falling into obscurity - they're in their 50's, their last album didn't do so well, and they have partially become a laughing stock because of spiderman, so lack of new material for a while could mean that when they do return, because of their previous problems, they're not very anticipated/ as big anymore.
However, perhaps a break is what is needed - U2 have been in the headlines since 2009, first with NLOTH, then the 360 tour, then Spiderman. Perhaps people are a bit tired of U2, and need to 'miss' them again. Perhaps a few years off would actually build anticipation for another album again?

If they do a quicker comeback, they risk not working on an album for long enough, and having their 'big return' when people are still overwhelmed with how much they've been in the media lately, making their big comeback less special. However, a faster comeback could serve as 'damage control' for NLOTH and Spiderman, making everyone forget about the bad, and remember how good u2 can be. Plus, it would prevent the potentially risky several year long disappearance of an already old, and not-as-popular-as-they-could-be band.

So, both options have benefits, and drawbacks. Which do you think U2 will take, and why?

2012, once Spiderman is fixed, 360 ends and the AB remaster is done.

They can't afford another 4/5 year break.

I had a dream last night that Edge's 'we're not ready to commit to any one project yet" comments were fake, and that i had woken up to numerous magazines having interviews with the band about a mega-album featuring DM, RedOne etc that would be coming out before the NA leg.
My subconscious loves to torture me - it sucked quite a lot waking up and realising it was just a dream :sad:

I had a dream last night that U2.com released 2 new songs from their DM project and 2 songs from something else on their website so I know how you feel!

Actually in their defence I think the new record is really good though this handing out papers lark and all those smiley queues of fans is just giving me this image...

south-park-smug-313.gif

I like Radioheed, but I think they get way too much credit for this "new business model" that tons of acts have either done better or were doing long before them...and then it seems every time some online article brings up the "go it alone approach" it's oh IN RAINBOWS this and that as a reference. Fair enough but they didn't give it away, they asked "how much you want to pay?" and some people said nowt, but thanks anyway.. while a month later NIN gave a way an entire flipping 10 track album in MP3 and lossless quality, that's progress, that's what I'd rather U2 looked at doing longterm and not about get yer papah mate! flash mobs..

I also love Passengers 1, but then I like esoteric wank [quote; L. Mullen, 1995] like that, Sylvian, Eno, Berlin Bowie, Budd etc... :)

Actually in their defence I think the new record is really good though this handing out papers lark and all those smiley queues of fans is just giving me this image...

south-park-smug-313.gif

I like Radioheed, but I think they get way too much credit for this "new business model" that tons of acts have either done better or were doing long before them...and then it seems every time some online article brings up the "go it alone approach" it's oh IN RAINBOWS this and that as a reference. Fair enough but they didn't give it away, they asked "how much you want to pay?" and some people said nowt, but thanks anyway.. while a month later NIN gave a way an entire flipping 10 track album in MP3 and lossless quality, that's progress, that's what I'd rather U2 looked at doing longterm and not about get yer papah mate! flash mobs..

I also love Passengers 1, but then I like esoteric wank [quote; L. Mullen, 1995] like that, Sylvian, Eno, Berlin Bowie, Budd etc... :)

Heard Fennesz?

the in rainbows thing wasn't a new model or any anarchist shit - they finished the record, knew it would leak so they put out mp3s themselves so they could make a bit of cash before the physical release came out. Same with the new one. They're just smart. I don't get why people can't see that they're trying to make money where other people don't. I'm surprised everyone doesn't do it because for some reason people pay for shitty sounding mp3s when they can get them for free.

Heard Fennesz?

the in rainbows thing wasn't a new model or any anarchist shit - they finished the record, knew it would leak so they put out mp3s themselves so they could make a bit of cash before the physical release came out. Same with the new one. They're just smart. I don't get why people can't see that they're trying to make money where other people don't. I'm surprised everyone doesn't do it because for some reason people pay for shitty sounding mp3s when they can get them for free.

Yes, but just his Sylvian work/mixes/collabs and the NIN remix he did...

I agree with RH "method of delivery" it's a bit different than Reznor's, his is a little less, erm.. eccentric and doesn't get the headlines, it's more about; here's the music, here's the formats, no... um.. newspapers.. :) but both know the old system is fooked though.. hey maybe that's the irony? here's Yorke selling a dying medium?? [the Universal Sigh paper]

re; paying for MP3s.. I can't quite grasp why iTunes albums are at times more expensive than what you'd pay on Amazon or even in a store... especially in the US.. ie. I got the new R.E.M one at BestBuy for $10 while the digital version is $14.99... daft..

I agree with the iTunes weirdness. The last 5 albums or so that I've bought have been CDs bought from Amazon for significantly less money per song than if I had done it through iTunes. Something like $0.40/song.

Yes, but just his Sylvian work/mixes/collabs and the NIN remix he did...

I agree with RH "method of delivery" it's a bit different than Reznor's, his is a little less, erm.. eccentric and doesn't get the headlines, it's more about; here's the music, here's the formats, no... um.. newspapers.. :) but both know the old system is fooked though.. hey maybe that's the irony? here's Yorke selling a dying medium?? [the Universal Sigh paper]

re; paying for MP3s.. I can't quite grasp why iTunes albums are at times more expensive than what you'd pay on Amazon or even in a store... especially in the US.. ie. I got the new R.E.M one at BestBuy for $10 while the digital version is $14.99... daft..

Fennesz' Black Sea is one of the best albums I've ever heard. It changed my life.

For the 5 millionth time, this is a U2 forum people!

Radiohead

Well essentially you agree with me. If he listened to more music it probably wouldn't rank in his top ten.

You're wrong. But, as is your MO, you will debate and protest and turn everybody off. I'm surprised more people don't tune you out.

Sometimes I wonder if you're like this in real life. I would hope not.

Now, I'm quoting from memory...years ago Reznor released an online album that people could pay whatever they wanted for it. Most people payed about five bucks. The thing is, they sold about 120,00 copies or something horrible like that.

I write and illustrate children's books for a living, and I'm not a superstar, but some of my books have sold way more than that.

I'd be curious to see the current numbers on the new radiohead.

Radiohead
You're wrong. But, as is your MO, you will debate and protest and turn everybody off. I'm surprised more people don't tune you out.

Sometimes I wonder if you're like this in real life. I would hope not.

Wait, I'm not sure why you're quoting that part of the conversation? LM agreed with me essentially... Anyways I've cleared this up via PM with COBL, it honestly wasn't meant to be taken as serisiously as it was...

Real life has nuance, facial expressions, tone, and real time response, this is not real life. If this was real life that remark would have never been so overdramatically responded to... unless of course real life is suppose to be like reality TV. In that case it would have gone just like this. :wink:

Now, I'm quoting from memory...years ago Reznor released an online album that people could pay whatever they wanted for it. Most people payed about five bucks. The thing is, they sold about 120,00 copies or something horrible like that.

I thought it was given away free? But from what I remember it was just leftover instrumentals, nothing really all that great. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom