How is NLOTH doing in the mainstream? Is it a big album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If only the silly band realized this 3 years ago before Bono effectively destroyed his whole reputation as a singer just because he thinks getting One to number 1 is more important than his integrity, self respect and dignity. He will do anything for a number even if that includes selling out to the chav brigade with a women who's vainglorious with a rounded bottom.

Let it go already.

How is it the end of the world that Bono let a well-respected R&B singer cover One? She may not be your cup of tea, but she's no flash in the pan. And that "rounded bottom" crack is asinine. And "chav brigade"? Excuse me, but your elitism is showing.

i'd even add that it's a touch racist.

the iPod ad was much, much, much more of a "sell-out" than doing a duet with MJB (who does a great job with the song, btw).

I didn't realise I had an exclusive version of One with MJB and ALL the U2 band, the rest of you seem to have only Bono, that's strange, isn't it? or is it that in this band there is only one responible person and it happens to be Bono? How could this version destroy Bono's reputation as a singer or his respect, integrity and dignity? Come on, please, is this written just to provoke an argument?

We should also stop discussing the album for two years so we're not embarrassed we used to like it in two years :wink:

LOL! yeah, some of my comments from HTDAAB were embarrassing. the good news about NLOTH is that i like it even more than i did when it leaked 3 months ago.

No. Chav's are white people who think, talk and act black. They are an embarasement to black people themselves. And she's a POP singer, just like Rihanna, Beyonce, Brandi and Ashanti. Pink and Lady GaGa also sing the similar type of pop songs with an RnB twinge but they are less likely to be called RnB singers. John Legend and Alicia Keys are real RnB singers because they have great voices.

Please Don't Call Me A Racist. You know nothing about me.

Thank you

John Legend and Alicia Keys are real RnB singers because they have great voices.

John Legend? meh that's a matter of opinion

oh and, fwiw, i thought MJB did a fabulous job with One

and Viva La Viva a melody you say?! well, a pretty generic one at that it seems...

Just read this, this morning.

U2 bomb
May 16, 2009
By Dan Wootton

NOT such a beautiful day for seasoned rockers U2 - their latest single
has become the lads' biggest flop in TWO DECADES . . . it didn't even
make the Top 40!

Despite being the standout track on their new album, Magnificent had a
chart performance that was anything but (sorry BONO).

It only managed to limp in to No 42 thanks to its paltry 5,157 copies
being sold and downloaded.

I don't mean to sound dramatic, folks, but that's a commercial
disaster of epic proportions that would send lesser bands to the
scrapheap.

The tune becomes their lowest single in 22 years, since God's Country
hit number 48 in 1987. Sadly, for Bono and THE EDGE, new album No Line
On The Horizon did no better - it was their worst-selling in the
band's long history.

Bet Bono wishes he could hide Where The Streets Have No Name.

@U2
U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Pix, U2 lyrics, U2 Collectors Guide and more!

Just read this, this morning.

U2 bomb
May 16, 2009
By Dan Wootton

NOT such a beautiful day for seasoned rockers U2 - their latest single
has become the lads' biggest flop in TWO DECADES . . . it didn't even
make the Top 40!

Despite being the standout track on their new album, Magnificent had a
chart performance that was anything but (sorry BONO).

It only managed to limp in to No 42 thanks to its paltry 5,157 copies

scrapheap.

The tune becomes their lowest single in 22 years, since God's Country
hit number 48 in 1987. Sadly, for Bono and THE EDGE, new album No Line
On The Horizon did no better - it was their worst-selling in the
band's long history.

Bet Bono wishes he could hide Where The Streets Have No Name.

@U2
U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Pix, U2 lyrics, U2 Collectors Guide and more!

:doh:

just read this, this morning.

U2 bomb
may 16, 2009
by dan wootton

not such a beautiful day for seasoned rockers u2 - their latest single
has become the lads' biggest flop in two decades . . . It didn't even
make the top 40!

Despite being the standout track on their new album, magnificent had a
chart performance that was anything but (sorry bono).

It only managed to limp in to no 42 thanks to its paltry 5,157 copies

scrapheap.

The tune becomes their lowest single in 22 years, since god's country
hit number 48 in 1987. Sadly, for bono and the edge, new album no line
on the horizon did no better - it was their worst-selling in the
band's long history.

Bet bono wishes he could hide where the streets have no name.

@u2
u2 home page: @u2 - u2 news, u2 pix, u2 lyrics, u2 collectors guide and more!

onoz!!!!!11111

Magnificent flops? So has NLOTH? I'm sorry but I don't find this surprising in the slightest. I told you. Do you think every song is a melody just because it has some notes in? No. The Beatles were genius at melodies. Switzerland enters a song for the Eurovision song contest that contains no melody or hooks. The result? It receives nul pois.

Plus tickets for their concert have been advertised twice this week. Once between Emmerdale and on Sunday towards the end of Heartbeat. These are two programmes watched mainly by housewives. I used to study Marketing at college and uni and what I know is that you can tell what a company's target demographic is by what programme it is advertised during and at what time. Last year, popera singer Katheryn Jenkins made an appearance in Emmerdale and the week after one of the characters played her new cD saying they bought whilst they were in town. What does that tell you?

Oh and by the way, Chav is very common British word to describe anti social yobs who wear burberry or shell suits and sports wear when they're not in the gym. If you don't understand a phrase or a term someone uses ask them what it means or look it up in a dictionary. DSM put John Legend in her RnB section in her book when she was describing Ordinary People. She said that he really has a great voice and ind in the begining of the book she described MJB as a pop singer. Does Bono have an ordinary voice that you won't really recognize or is it distinctive?

Just because something is marketed as RnB it doesn't mean it is real RnB. Il Divo are marketed as a real opera act, but what they sing is actually pop, or popera is the derogatory term. Shania Twain and Taylor Swift are pop singers not country singers. Ashlee Simpson is no Debbie Harry, she's a pop singer not a rock singer.

Magnificent flops? So has NLOTH? I'm sorry but I don't find this surprising in the slightest. I told you. Do you think every song is a melody just because it has some notes in? No.

Well, if you told us so, then I guess that's it. :rolleyes: Come on.

I said it before, and it's worth repeating: just because you don't like the melodies doesn't mean there aren't any.

You don't like the melodies? Fine. You think they're weak melodies? Great! You think they suck? Awesome. But don't say there aren't any melodies, because that's just not true.

Plus tickets for their concert have been advertised twice this week. Once between Emmerdale and on Sunday towards the end of Heartbeat. These are two programmes watched mainly by housewives. I used to study Marketing at college and uni and what I know is that you can tell what a company's target demographic is by what programme it is advertised during and at what time. Last year, popera singer Katheryn Jenkins made an appearance in Emmerdale and the week after one of the characters played her new cD saying they bought whilst they were in town. What does that tell you?

:crack:

If only the silly band realized this 3 years ago before Bono effectively destroyed his whole reputation as a singer just because he thinks getting One to number 1 is more important than his integrity, self respect and dignity. He will do anything for a number even if that includes selling out to the chav brigade with a women who's vainglorious with a rounded bottom.

Aww, you're so adorable when you stomp out of the studio in a jealous huff! :cute:

Oh I know...poor U2...I guess they're finished....poor band, all they can do is sell out massive stadiums all around the world....I guess it's over for them. What a stupid article.

Magnificent flops? So has NLOTH?
What you and the writer above fail to realize is that NLOTH is still the biggest seller of 09. Of course it won't have the number of previous albums, we live in a different time. Do some of you have your head buried in the sand, are some of you still living in 1997? Have you not heard about the dismal sales of CDs due to the internet?

I'm sorry but I don't find this surprising in the slightest. I told you. Do you think every song is a melody just because it has some notes in? No. The Beatles were genius at melodies. Switzerland enters a song for the Eurovision song contest that contains no melody or hooks. The result? It receives nul pois.
I'm not really sure you know the definition of a melody. To say a song has no melody, is just... well let's say, incorrect. And it makes you sound... well let's just say, foolish.

What does that tell you?
I don't know, why don't you inform us...

She said that he really has a great voice and ind in the begining of the book she described MJB as a pop singer. Does Bono have an ordinary voice that you won't really recognize or is it distinctive?

Just because something is marketed as RnB it doesn't mean it is real RnB. Il Divo are marketed as a real opera act, but what they sing is actually pop, or popera is the derogatory term. Shania Twain and Taylor Swift are pop singers not country singers. Ashlee Simpson is no Debbie Harry, she's a pop singer not a rock singer.
Why are you so obsessed with labels? To me there are two types of singers in the world, good and bad.

Just because you don't care for the melodies doesn't mean there are no melodies.

Not according to World Famous Vocal Teacher Donna ShottaMorono.

WTF??

I think you have issues.

How is it the end of the world that Bono let a well-respected R&B singer cover One? She may not be your cup of tea, but she's no flash in the pan. And that "rounded bottom" crack is asinine. And "chav brigade"? Excuse me, but your elitism is showing.

I'll see your asinine and raise it to borderline racist, definitely stereotyping at minimum.

Is it big? Yes.

Is it huge? No.

Do I care? No.

Do I like it? Yes. ;)

i'd even add that it's a touch racist.

the iPod ad was much, much, much more of a "sell-out" than doing a duet with MJB (who does a great job with the song, btw).

This :up:

I didn't realise I had an exclusive version of One with MJB and ALL the U2 band, the rest of you seem to have only Bono, that's strange, isn't it? or is it that in this band there is only one responible person and it happens to be Bono? How could this version destroy Bono's reputation as a singer or his respect, integrity and dignity? Come on, please, is this written just to provoke an argument?

Also, this.

No. Chav's are white people who think, talk and act black. They are an embarasement to black people themselves.

Please Don't Call Me A Racist. You know nothing about me.

Let Me Guess, You Are Black? Non-White? Yay, I Guess You Can't Possibly Be Racist, Then!

John Legend? meh that's a matter of opinion

oh and, fwiw, i thought MJB did a fabulous job with One

I think John Legend is a better songwriter, than vocalist. He does strain and he writes in a comfortable key for his voice, imo. He's good though! However, to say that MJB is not RnB and he is? It's simply insane...wait..

you mean all modern rock artists, considering rock is originaly a black art form? elvis? hello?

go poop on a stick.

:love:

Magnificent flops? So has NLOTH? I'm sorry but I don't find this surprising in the slightest. I told you. Do you think every song is a melody just because it has some notes in? No. I used to study Marketing at college and uni blah blah blah DSM says blah blah etc etc

I can't for the life of me understand why, with your Background In College Marketing and Singing Lessons, you aren't a hit already. Can you let us know when your album is out?

Well, if you told us so, then I guess that's it. :rolleyes: Come on.

I said it before, and it's worth repeating: just because you don't like the melodies doesn't mean there aren't any.

You don't like the melodies? Fine. You think they're weak melodies? Great! You think they suck? Awesome. But don't say there aren't any melodies, because that's just not true.

No, it's Fact. Donna ShottaMorono does not approve of that message, Cori. :tsk:

would i be out of line if i said called Cactus Annie a "prick" even with the pun involved?

Not according to World Famous Vocal Teacher Donna ShottaMorono.

Wrong. That was what big George said. Plus Donna Sotto Morretini also works in music theory more than singing. And DSM was talking about John Legend's timbre or texture of his voice when she said he has beautiful voice. MJB doesn't sing, she shouts, at least John Legend sings. And Ordinary People is supposed to be delivered with a gritty vocal. It's not meant to be smooth and polished like a MJB or a Beyonce song. That's because they are Pop singers whilst John Legends is one of the very few real RnB singer. Listen to the lyrics of Ordinary People then you see why he sings it like he does.

Oh and straining. Have you actually listened to NLOTH? What about 'Crazy'. That's straining and I think it sounds awful. :barf:

'll see your asinine and raise it to borderline racist, definitely stereotyping at minimum.
Let Me Guess, You Are Black? Non-White? Yay, I Guess You Can't Possibly Be Racist, Then!

In the past you would have had my blood boiling at this point. But now I've learned not to let twatty comments this ruin my night. In fact I am exceptionally calm right at this moment in time. a/This is because you don't know me. b/ For all you know I could be black. Just like that random poster on a football board who got called a racist just because he didn't want this particular black player to be in the starting line up of match. He replied: funny how a black person is racist against another black person. c/ When my Godfather, who was a black immigrant from the Guyana and lives on a state pension in a tiny council flat in a rather rougth area in London, complains about youths in the street and calls them all chavs, he's also a racist snob is he?

Again look up the word before you start calling people names, please. I find it increadibly childish. What is your problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom