How is NLOTH doing in the mainstream? Is it a big album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they could, but what name 3 tracks in 1 minute by the time i send this message

Oh, this is classic!!!

Just another person that think if Bono farts down the microphone it will be great. I used to think like that a while ago, until i discovered there was more out there

I discovered there was more out there decades ago, yeah it's weird I can like more than one band at a time, odd right?

How do you know what I like, why would you just assume I would automatically like anything Bono does? You know what they say about people who assume?

Just like i said, IMO Graffiti Soul is far superior to NLOTH. BVS is obviously full of shit because he haven't heard the new album, it's just how sad he is. Simple Minds went to the legeondary Rockfield studios in Wales with an ontourage of 6 people and recorded it in 6 weeks. They even co-produced it. U2 however have taken at least a year, 4 different producers about 30 people involved to try and get the album that Simple Minds have just produced. Laughable really:hyper:

I've heard approximately one Simple Minds song, and even I can correctly answer that...unless wikipedia is deceiving me, that is.

That is exactly what i mean about 'Americans'

Try 5 number 1 albums and countless stadium sell outs. And the 'Q' award for the best live act in the world

Five number albums? That's great didn't the last one chart at like a tad bit lower? Haven't they not hit the top ten with an album in 14 years?

And this little quote from our hero:
Produced by Steve Lillywhite, who also produced U2's first three records, Sparkle in the Rain is an aggressive, rock-oriented album in much the same vein as U2's War. U2 frontman Bono was quoted in the official Simple Minds biography The Race is the Prize as saying the "glorious noise" sound and feeling achieved on the Simple Minds album was one to which his band aspired. The eventual result of this shift in musical direction gave rise to hugely successful singles like

Just like i said, IMO Graffiti Soul is far superior to NLOTH. BVS is obviously full of shit because he haven't heard the new album, it's just how sad he is.
I listened to a version that was burned from a stream, so granted the quality wasn't great, and it's still worth me getting because it's a lot better than a lot of stuff out there, but I just didn't think it was great.

Simple Minds went to the legeondary Rockfield studios in Wales with an ontourage of 6 people and recorded it in 6 weeks. They even co-produced it. U2 however have taken at least a year, 4 different producers about 30 people involved to try and get the album that Simple Minds have just produced. Laughable really:hyper:
I really don't think that says anything about quality. I know some bands that take 2 weeks, some 14 years; but the end product is all that matters.

Just like i said, IMO Graffiti Soul is far superior to NLOTH. BVS is obviously full of shit because he haven't heard the new album, it's just how sad he is. Simple Minds went to the legeondary Rockfield studios in Wales with an ontourage of 6 people and recorded it in 6 weeks. They even co-produced it. U2 however have taken at least a year, 4 different producers about 30 people involved to try and get the album that Simple Minds have just produced. Laughable really:hyper:

all you're proving is that U2 and Simple Minds go through different processes when making an album.

i don't like you.

You are right Irishteen but they are playing The Odessy and the O2 in December. You really should go and see them

emot9112el.gif

I've heard approximately one Simple Minds song, and even I can correctly answer that...unless wikipedia is deceiving me, that is.

Try 5 number 1 albums and countless stadium sell outs. And the 'Q' award for the best live act in the world

carling, come on, that ^ is 15-20 year old stats and kinda irrelevant to where they [SM] are now.

Incidentally the album is very good and I recommend it any anyone here, if you're curious.

The older U2 fans from the UK, Europe and Eire amongst us will probably recall there was an sort of afinity between the two acts and sets of fans between 1982 - 1989... you tended to like both... and both bands certainly traded influences and of course are friends.

I'd give some of their late '80s early '90s records a miss if you are a newcomer to their music but the first 5 albums [79-84] and a recent 2some [02, 03] are worth a getting hold of.

Still think NLOTH is a better album [personally] but as a fan of both acts I'm happy that the SM album is worth the wait an that they are actually gonna tour the US for a change too...

ps - yeah I know, 70 odd posts but not a troll!

...ahhh fought some though! :wink:

:giggle: corri

i can read things wrong when i'm in a hurry, or very tired !:lol:

& thanks diem!

hey ic .... :) I'm an American -
you don't have to just be a U2 fan from the UK, Europe & Eire to know that U2 & SM shared some affinity for each other back then. Became alerted to U2 in late '80 & a fan by '81 :D I was also a SM fan as well. :)

I'll def have to check this album out, tho I don't it will outdistance NLOTH which I think joins AB as my ultra fav U2 albums.

But I'm curious as to how having the biggest selling album is ignoring the new stuff?

I could care less about sales, but it seems like the only way to really judge "the mainstream". You say they aren't getting any radioplay, but where do you live? Do you live in a market that would normally play new rock music?

Well, Vertigo was all over the commercial radio here back in 2004 and I still hear Beautiful Day on regular basis. By comparison, I've only heard Boots a few times on Triple M, which is a rock-oriented station that does play new stuff by "older" rock bands and artists like R.E.M., AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen etc.

As for the sales, yes they do factor in the mainstream. But I think the question to ask is whether U2's new music has much presence outside of their immediate fanbase, which is still sizeable enough for them to have a best-selling album of the year. U2 have always had detractors and bashers and people who could take them or leave them, but in the end their music has been a part of wider public consciousness for a very long time. I'm not sure if it's the case anymore with their new music, at least around these parts.

There are more ways you can hear music now than just radio.
I think the fact that NLOTH outsells everything this year shows just how big U2 are right now. People want to hear them no matter if they're on the radio, because there's YouTube, MySpace, LastFM etc.
And no, those sales are not just from old fanbase, someone in POTDB forum made a calculation that NLOTH's 450(something)k first week sales in March 2009 would be around 800(+)k in 2004 wich is almost as much as HTDAAB did, not to mention it's also comparing March sales to November sales.
U2 are as big as ever.

I don't give a hoot about the charts. At the moment Lady GaGa is big in the charts. How good is she? Can she sing? Is it good pop music? Is she a good musician? Is she a unique one off? If only the silly band realized this 3 years ago before Bono effectively destroyed his whole reputation as a singer just because he thinks getting One to number 1 is more important than his integrity, self respect and dignity. He will do anything for a number even if that includes selling out to the chav brigade with a women who's vainglorious with a rounded bottom.

But this new album is hated in the mainstream whilst bOMB and ATYCLB was much prefered. The reason? No melodies. I just had to sit through another boring rendition on YouTube of Magneficent on the Latterman show because of someone on here and I got bored. No I don't consider that a melody. OOTS, MD, CFYT and COBL are melodies. Viva La Vida and When You Were Young iare melodies. Apologize is a melody that's so strong that not even Timbalands yelping can spoil

If only the silly band realized this 3 years ago before Bono effectively destroyed his whole reputation as a singer just because he thinks getting One to number 1 is more important than his integrity, self respect and dignity. He will do anything for a number even if that includes selling out to the chav brigade with a women who's vainglorious with a rounded bottom.
:lol: You just can't let it go can you? Now with extra venom...:tsk:

But this new album is hated in the mainstream whilst bOMB and ATYCLB was much prefered. The reason? No melodies.
This album is hated by you. You are not the mainstream. Some of us recognize a good melody when we hear it...

So U2 is selling well in the USA? When I say Beyonce big, I've noticed that she has a load of singles and a "definitive" or mega-hit song in that Single Ladies. Like she seems to have buzz over the past year kind of Buzz. Sort of like U2 and Vertigo. I was wondering is U2 on its way to that kind of bigness?

Its much more difficult for U2, Bruce, Aerosmith, ect... to have loads of hits these days because they are older artists (or just old...there I said it). Now, dont misunderstand me! Im not saying that because they are old, they cannot make good music...no! Its because they are old(er) they are not afforded the luxury of being played automatically on Top 40 stations non-stop. For example; Have you heard the 2nd single from Lady Gaga, Poker Face? Of course you have because she is the next young big thing. The songs catch is pa-pa-pa-pa poker face...WTF is that? Have you heard the new Kelly Clarkson song(s) My life would suck with out you and No, I dont hook up? Of course you have, because she is big with the kids. Now, for U2 or Bruce to have a big single, it would need to slowly work its way up the AC (adult contemorary) charts and then cross-over into Top 40 radio. Where as Eminem's new song "we made you" exploded on the top of Top 40 radio. I keep mentioning Top 40 because it is the biggest radio formate out there (bigger than AAA, Alternative, Rock & Active Rock combined...all formates that are U2 friendly by the way). I think Magnificent will be a hit but time will tell. I guess we need to wait for the tour, Magnificent to take hold (if it does) and any awards that they might win.

If only the silly band realized this 3 years ago before Bono effectively destroyed his whole reputation as a singer just because he thinks getting One to number 1 is more important than his integrity, self respect and dignity. He will do anything for a number even if that includes selling out to the chav brigade with a women who's vainglorious with a rounded bottom.

WTF??

I think you have issues.

How is it the end of the world that Bono let a well-respected R&B singer cover One? She may not be your cup of tea, but she's no flash in the pan. And that "rounded bottom" crack is asinine. And "chav brigade"? Excuse me, but your elitism is showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom