How is NLOTH doing in the mainstream? Is it a big album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I'm curious as to how having the biggest selling album is ignoring the new stuff?

I could care less about sales, but it seems like the only way to really judge "the mainstream". You say they aren't getting any radioplay, but where do you live? Do you live in a market that would normally play new rock music?

My wife heard Magnificent at Home Depot yesterday....that's the extent of hearing anything from the new album in these parts. We have one rock station in town, but it is against the "rules" on that station to play anything post 1995 it seems like. Lots of Zeppelin and Skynnard and Alman Bros. I like that stuff, but come on, that's not helping bring rock and roll back to the masses when that's all you will play!!

Can't say that NLOTH has much presence in the mainstream around here; no radioplay, no buzz. I know plenty of people who like U2 but have no interest in the new album, mostly because they heard Boots and decided that U2 "lost it".

I wouldn't call it refreshing; if anything it seems to indicate that U2 may have finally reached that inevitable plateau where the public still loves your older stuff but largely ignores the new stuff.

Yeah agree, and I've read comments elsewhere that GOYB was such a poor choice for a 4yr comeback single... plus your second point is something I've been thinking for a few weeks now and I bet it's one of the reasons for the stadia sellout, people coming to the shows enmasse for what they know, not to hear a new album, dunno... what will be the general reaction to Unknown Caller or NLOTH in row ZZ in these places...

Yeah agree, and I've read comments elsewhere that GOYB was such a poor choice for a 4yr comeback single... plus your second point is something I've been thinking for a few weeks now and I bet it's one of the reasons for the stadia sellout, people coming to the shows enmasse for what they know, not to hear a new album, dunno... what will be the general reaction to Unknown Caller or NLOTH in row ZZ in these places...

General reaction to new songs will be fine.
Muse's BHAR album sold 3+mln worlwide and it was enough to sell stadiums and arenas, so NLOTH's 2,8mln is just as fine for people to know the new songs.
You must also remember that while the sales are around 2,6-2,8mln there are also millions of illegal dowloads, NLOTH is still one of the most popular music torrents out there, with today's tech. you can download an album in just about 10 minutes so the number of people downloading NLOTH is really huge.
Luckily for U2 and all artists in the world there's no way you can illegaly download a real show, you have to buy a ticket.

1. Since they are no longer mainstream, they take this opportunity to make the albums they want to make, since they don't have to worry about hit singles. Maybe they already realized this with NLOTH?

If selling 2.6 million albums (900000 more than anyone else this year) isn't mainstream then mainstream music doesn't exist. This album isn't as huge as expected but it's completely mainstream

General reaction to new songs will be fine.
Muse's BHAR album sold 3+mln worlwide and it was enough to sell stadiums and arenas, so NLOTH's 2,8mln is just as fine for people to know the new songs.
You must also remember that while the sales are around 2,6-2,8mln there are also millions of illegal dowloads, NLOTH is still one of the most popular music torrents out there, with today's tech. you can download an album in just about 10 minutes so the number of people downloading NLOTH is really huge.
Luckily for U2 and all artists in the world there's no way you can illegaly download a real show, you have to buy a ticket.

yeah, didn't they say that by the time NLOTH was officially released, at least a half million people illegally downloaded the album?

yeah, didn't they say that by the time NLOTH was officially released, at least a half million people illegally downloaded the album?

Jeez, thats quite a bit of albums not sold.

I really don't think U2 cares about record sales as much as ticket sales for their stadium show. And I'm sure the U2 camp is very happy with the # of tickets sold already. If this "360" is revolutionary as Bono & co. are saying everyone will want to go to these shows. Thus having high demand for 2010.

The new album of the year will be released on May 25th this year called Graffiti Soul by Simple Minds. Again Americans might laugh but i have heard the album and it is far better than NLOTH i'm afraid. Brian Eno tried to do the job Simple Minds have on Graffiti Soul. And before the onslaught, listen to it first.

And another thing, times HAVE changed, which is why U2 are not as popular as before. to quote the song 'Thats just the way it is'

The new album of the year will be released on May 25th this year called Graffiti Soul by Simple Minds. Again Americans might laugh but i have heard the album and it is far better than NLOTH i'm afraid. Brian Eno tried to do the job Simple Minds have on Graffiti Soul. And before the onslaught, listen to it first.

I love U2 and like Simple Minds so I do hope their new album is good :up:

Of course they havent. U2 are the biggest band in the world, my favourite band and my idols. I am just stating a fact in my opinion. NLOTH i doubt will sell as many as POP but who gives a shit? They have made their place in history and without a question are bigger than any band on the planet. But i have heard a better album from Simple Minds.

I am just stating a fact in my opinion.

:lmao:

What's your deal with the "Americans might not like this..." or "Americans might laugh..." bullshit? Neither one of them even make sense as a stereotype.

I've heard the new SM album and it's only OK. I like SM but this is nothing new, it's SM doing SM but not even quite as good as the last time around. So believe me U2 isn't even closed to being worried.

Whjat i mean by 'Americans' is that you like different types of music to us 'Brits' you lot fucking hate KOL, while we love them. Oasis are massive over here but are small in comparison in America. I love American humour but it is vastly different to ours. So please don't take offence. And were did you hear the new Simple Minds album BTW?

Of course they could, but what name 3 tracks in 1 minute by the time i send this message

Just another person that think if Bono farts down the microphone it will be great. I used to think like that a while ago, until i discovered there was more out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom