How is NLOTH doing in the mainstream? Is it a big album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else get the impression this time around that U2 does not really care about album sales and #1 singles? I mean, yeah they care but not in the same way as the ATYCLB/HTDAAB – Biggest Band In The World approach… It's kind of refreshing actually...

OK Computer NEVER did this. It was a critics fave, but never even came close to galvanizing.

:up: Relative to other Radiohead albums, it was a smash, but it has only been certified double platinum in the US.

Does anyone else get the impression this time around that U2 does not really care about album sales and #1 singles? I mean, yeah they care but not in the same way as the ATYCLB/HTDAAB – Biggest Band In The World approach… It's kind of refreshing actually...

absolutely. and i agree, it's so refreshing. and have you noticed that there is little to no backlash surrounding this album? other than a horrible/predictable Pitchfork review, there's very little negativity from the general public. no "11 Worst Songs of 2004" websites. :wink:

absolutely. and i agree, it's so refreshing. and have you noticed that there is little to no backlash surrounding this album? other than a horrible/predictable Pitchfork review, there's very little negativity from the general public. no "11 Worst Songs of 2004" websites. :wink:

The album has the same rating as Bomb on RYM (tied for U2's worst album), and a lot of the reviews are pretty harsh. Boots is also in the bottom few hundred singles of all time, so there has been a lot of hate, especially when it was first released

The album has the same rating as Bomb on RYM (tied for U2's worst album), and a lot of the reviews are pretty harsh. Boots is also in the bottom few hundred singles of all time, so there has been a lot of hate, especially when it was first released

Yeah, but the difference is that NLOTH's rating is actually rising, whereas Bomb started off high and steadily dropped. Representative of the nature of these records? I like to think so.

Yeah, but the difference is that this album's rating is actually rising, whereas Bomb started off high and dropped steadily dropped. Representative of the nature of these records? I like to think so.

It's been stuck at 2.97 for a while now and nearly all ratings now are around 2, 2.5,3 and 3.5. I think it's levelled off at 2.97 which is the same as the Bomb. And Boots is now ranked at the 150th worst single of all time. Overall this album has been seen as average by the majority

i'm not sure what RYM is, but i'll bet that it's not an accurate indicator.

Irishteen, you seem almost obsessed with these numbers you are always posting, I'm wondering do you honestly care all that much? This is not a dig or anything, I'm genuinely curious...

I go on RYM a lot, and the figures take two seconds to find. It's not like I need to go out of my way to find them. I actually do find reviews and how an album is received interesting, seeing as most popular music magazines and websites are completely predictable I think reviews by normal people are more interesting

i'm not sure what RYM is, but i'll bet that it's not an accurate indicator.

Rateyourmusic, it's a website where people rate and review the music they own

sounds like a cool site. i still stand by my statement that the general opinion of NLOTH is way better than HTDAAB though.

Yeah I like it, some bands like U2 do seems to get a lot of hate on it though. But any website that listens Crank That (Soulja Boy) as the worst single ever is awesome :wink:

RYM is great, but they are unfairly biased against U2. I mean, EVERY Coldplay album has a higher rating than NLOTH, even that abomination X&Y. That's ridiculous.

RYM is great, but they are unfairly biased against U2. I mean, EVERY Coldplay album has a higher rating than NLOTH, even that abomination X&Y. That's ridiculous.

Shit you're right X&Y has a better rating than Bomb, NLOTH and Pop. I always imagined that album was hated there because...it well sucks

it's the U2 backlash. just like Rattle and Hum, just like Pop. There was really nothing U2 could do to "win" the huge critics over. The album is clearly better than Atomic Bomb, but Pitchfork and other places like metacritic are so tired of U2 that they'll slight U2 at any chance.

NLOTH is the biggest selling album of the year and my guess it'll probably stay that way.

Also, this is completely -well not completely but mostly- irrelevant, but, I used to work at American Eagle for 2.5 years so they'd play music videos that were popular or whatever as the soundtrack. For what it's worth, Lady Gaga "Just Dance" had that video out last spring, but that song didn't really catch on and go mega till this past fall. So there's no reason that Magnificent can't pick up steam down the line, especially as the tour begins, the video gets out there, and U2 are back in the news etc. Let's also remember that the tour is starting in Europe this time around and in the US that means we aren't really going to hear much about U2 until September.

so the same forum that still yearn for the "fuck up the mainstream" attitude actually just enjoyed Bono using the word 'fuck'

cool

OK Computer NEVER did this. It was a critics fave, but never even came close to galvanizing.

You're nitpicking since that's obviously not the point of my post. Anyway, where I lived, at the time it was released, OK Computer was the biggest thing since sliced bread. Literally, everywhere I went in my city of the time, everybody had it, was playing it, and was talking about it. But maybe it wasn't as big if you weren't into the collegiate scene of the time and living in certain areas...

Ticket prices will never come down that cheap.

Well, I was thinking of 70s/80s prices in proportion to inflation, etc. And you never know -- they might. In fact, they already have, in some cases. A couple of years ago, most of the summer touring artists in the US had a huge drop-off in sales, and the promoters panicked and slashed the prices down to nothing -- I think it was about $10 or something to see David Bowie and numerous other people (from an original price of maybe $50 or more). I could see this happening more now that the economy is in the toilet.

Certain acts will not be affected anytime soon -- U2 is obviously one of them.

And there is no killing off smaller, newer bands... Give me a break, this isn't Wal-Mart where the big guy comes in and puts the small guy out of business. That's not how music works.

I'm talking about business here, not music. Those are two different things. Yeah, there will always be plenty of high school garage bands, but that doesn't mean any of them will get a record deal.

You're nitpicking since that's obviously not the point of my post. Anyway, where I lived, at the time it was released, OK Computer was the biggest thing since sliced bread. Literally, everywhere I went in my city of the time, everybody had it, was playing it, and was talking about it. But maybe it wasn't as big if you weren't into the collegiate scene of the time and living in certain areas...
How am I nitpicking? I was in College at the time, and it was big but you described it as galvanizing the masses and it wasn't that.

I'm talking about business here, not music. Those are two different things. Yeah, there will always be plenty of high school garage bands, but that doesn't mean any of them will get a record deal.

So you're saying you're afraid record companies will only focus on big established bands? Well to a point, that's how it's always been. But as long as the record company still exists they will still sign new bands because they will always be scared that someone will become irrelevant and be looking for the next new thing.

so the same forum that still yearn for the "fuck up the mainstream" attitude actually just enjoyed Bono using the word 'fuck'

cool

you bring up a good point. it seems that many U2 fans fell the need to experience the best of both worlds.

In two months time they've sold 2,500,000 copies... that's still very much in a time the majority of people downloads instead of buys an album. And NLOTH wasn't even released before Christmas time, the best time for an album release!

Does anyone know how many copies of HTDAAB were sold the first few months after release?

While i agree it shouldn't matter whether this is perceived as a "big"album, there will probably be repercussions down the road if when all is said and done (tour, grammy's, etc..) the label of biggest band in the world isn't branded on bono's left ass cheek. What i mean is from the comments they made leading up to the album, it seems (to me at least) u2 believes they've taken a chance and put out something different. If it isn't well received i could see them falling back into cookie cutter safe mode and releasing ATYCLB 2 (everything they left behind from all that you can't leave behind). Let's face it u2 seems to be pretty self conscious, which is a shame since they released an album 30 yrs into their career that knocked me right on my ass when i first heard it. Here's to hoping i'm wrong.

Mag-fuckin-ificent (album version only plz!!)

I didn't think it would sell well. Stands to reason, EASILY their best album since Pop and its selling like Pop as well. Yep its definetly on its way to being in the top 4 ALL time U2 albums for me, maybe top 3.....I'll give it more time before making that call!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom