Hit single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few reports of Sirius XM (channel 28) has been playing both The Troubles and Raised By Wolves, which is cool.

There are two better singles than Miracle. California - it's the best pop they've done in a long while - and the rocker Volcano.

EBW and Song for Someone just try too hard.

All four songs you mention would be great singles i think, though EBW and California would be my choice.

I could see Volcano doing reasonably well. It's catchy and fun. (But I'd prefer EBW or California.)

Every Breaking Wave is the obvious choice I think. I've played it for several non-fans, all seem to like it and find it rather catchy

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I just don't think this album is going to have a hit single. Not that I dislike any of the songs, quite the opposite. They're too good to be lumped in with what's "popular" these days.

This album doesn't really have a Beautiful Day or a Vertigo on it. Again, not a bad thing, just an observation.

If Miracle is used in commercials then released as a single, ala Vertigo, I think it has a good chance of breaking the Top 40.

EBW, if radio gives it a chance, also has Top 40 potential. It might take a real push though, unfortunately. But EBW has the potential of become an Adult Contemporary hit and that could cause some movement on the Hot 100 charts.

I think these are the two main and perhaps only singles.

If U2 want a third one, my choice is The Troubles, but Songs for Someone may work too. But I'm sure others would chose Volcano (perhaps my least favorite track) or California. I do not recommend releasing consecutive upbeat songs as this has failed for many artists, including U2. Seems audiences like the mix (although two consecutive slow songs can and has worked).

I honestly don't think any of these songs are radio friendly... :reject: but if I had to pick one it would be Cedarwood Road. If they want to be on pop radio they need to write a song about big butts to be relevant. :lol: ;) Pop songs these days are way too shallow and way out of U2's league. IMO.

A few reports of Sirius XM (channel 28) has been playing both The Troubles and Raised By Wolves, which is cool.

I've heard California and The Miracle on there as well. They've probably played EBW and Song for Someone also.

If Miracle is used in commercials then released as a single, ala Vertigo, I think it has a good chance of breaking the Top 40.

EBW, if radio gives it a chance, also has Top 40 potential. It might take a real push though, unfortunately. But EBW has the potential of become an Adult Contemporary hit and that could cause some movement on the Hot 100 charts.

The only problem is all these people have those singles for free now from the album. I just don't see how enough would start downloading them in October. If people do anything it'll be get the deluxe album, but that doesn't help the singles. Same thing with Invisible. Airplay doesn't account for much.

California maybe could've been but not likley. The timing of their singles is crap too. Magnificent would've been much bigger than it was and much bigger than Boots had it been released first. The Miracle was a bad choice for first singe and I believe they chose it only because the guitar sounds chunky in the a 1 minute apple commercial.

California should've been the lead and it would have a good chance and then follow it up with an awesome ballady type song like Every Breaking Wave and you'd have their biggest 1-2 punch in over a decade.

California will be a single at some point... it's the 3rd track on an album

Known that they always place their strongest song in this position

That's so weird because that song totally leaves me cold. I believe you, but it's hard to believe they thought this was the strongest song. To me all the big ones are on the back half. I agree that Invisible should have been on here. My guess is that it was and then they pulled it when it didn't set the charts on fire in March--they didn't want to be re-releasing a song that didn't do what they wanted it to the first time. And truthfully Invisible was catchier and poppier than anything on this album, and maybe they didn't want that.

Miracle
Every Breaking Wave (WOWY the sequel)
Troubles (Purely for its awesomeness)
Songs For Someone (I would prefer Sleep Like A Baby or Iris, but that won't likely happen)

These would connect the most with the general public, imo.

I'm thinking they may release the 2nd single for Grammy purposes, especially with a possible quick album follow up. And if they're looking at that direction, The Troubles and Every Breaking Wave could very well be considered, as they are both Grammy-winning material. I believe the deadline is September 30, which eliminates SOI from contention because it doesnt get actually released until October 13.

I personally only see - This is where you can reach me now, and California, and Volcano - getting a top 10 notation, Maybe every breaking wave during the winter as the second single.

But it totally depends on the country. I think some songs would work better for lets say, a US crowd, and song songs better for EU crowd. This album is just so versatile .

Radio 2 has The Miracle on its A-List!!!!!

Really?cause ive had radio 2 on all day twice (between 7.30 and 3.30) since last tuesday night and i still havent heard it once.

Nothing so far today either. Not even a mention of u2

I think the singles have been front loaded on the album. Tracks 1-3, possibly 1-4. California should (but probably won't) be a massive hit.

Back
Top Bottom