Here's why I think Window In the Skies May Be Beach Clip 404

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2freakboy

War Child
At the very beginning of beach clip 404 ... it sounds like Bono may be saying "see the window in the skies." I've listened to it many, many times and I certainly can't rule it out. It also kind of fits with what he says later ... "shout it from the roof." If you're shouting something from the roof you'd be looking at the sky. It also fits the message of the chorus of the song which I believe is saying "All my life I've been waiting for the moment I live" or the "moment I'm in." "Window in the Skies" could mean the opening is now there to live your life to the fullest ... your moment is now.

I hope it's more, eh, rocking...I don't particularly like the beach clips bc their too soft rock sounding. Of course they'll build on much more in the studio, so I'm not worrying too much.

U2freakboy said:
At the very beginning of beach clip 404 ... it sounds like Bono may be saying "see the window in the skies." I've listened to it many, many times and I certainly can't rule it out. It also kind of fits with what he says later ... "shout it from the roof." If you're shouting something from the roof you'd be looking at the sky. It also fits the message of the chorus of the song which I believe is saying "All my life I've been waiting for the moment I live" or the "moment I'm in." "Window in the Skies" could mean the opening is now there to live your life to the fullest ... your moment is now.

You've got quite a point in there, although remember how Always spawned BD as soon as Bono started improvising and shouting "It's a beautiful day!"? It might've happened as well in this case. The beach clips were released almost in August, the Abbey Road sessions were around September.

It might as well be Mercy, for all that we know (nah, that was just to piss off some interferencers). But as a friend of mine says: "It ain't official until it's official".

That being said, I just LOVE 404 and would hope that it has a formal release, either in this compilation or in the next album.

Last edited:
I don't really hear the "see the window" part but I do hear "skies." However, 402 and 404 are both winners in my eyes, so whichever we get is fine by me.

I don't hear it at all. :huh: The last word in the opening line is quick and it sounds like dark. I don't see where skies is coming from.

I think the song is 400 and 402. The song starts as this piano driven thing and then in the middle rips into 402.

topplehatU2 ... you're right ... the "skies" part is the clearest of the words ... the first couple of words are difficult to pin down.

Also, I've thought all along the title of this song would be something picked out of one of the verse's, because "All My Life" is a pretty generic title that's already been used before.

Here's why I don't think 404 is Window In The Skies
  • "WITS is a combination of 2 of the beach songs"
  • "Sort of 70's pop/crooner-Sweetest Thing kind of vibe."
  • "an epic in the style of city of blinding lights, with rich vocal harmonies".
  • " 'Look what love has done for us' or maybe 'What has love come to'."

I think out of these things that fans have reported, be it the truth or not, maybe #3 makes 404 the most possible beachclip to be WITS.
Also the combination with 402 which has the word "sky" before the chorus, could be a very likely match.

But, it has to be mixed with another beach clip to be Window, and the other description suggests a song that sounds more like 400 or 403 than 402 and 404.
Perhaps 404 could be mixed up with any of the other three I don't know, becuase I haven't tried it yet.
All I know is that 400 and 403 sounds quite good together, which I showed you in the "Window in the sky"-thread.

I wouldn't mind having 402 and 404 released as Window In The Skies though, I'm just trying to make something out from what we know already.

Why are we assuming it's a combination of 2 beach songs?

Because some random guy on the internet with no credibility said so?

And remember that some of the earliest clips had incomplete songs and a song broken down into two. We don't know which "version" of the beach clips he/she was refering to...

Chizip said:
Why are we assuming it's a combination of 2 beach songs?

Because some random guy on the internet with no credibility said so?

As I said, I just brought out the facts whether or not the may be correct. :wink:
We will find out who is right and who is not in less than a week anyway.

GAGV said:
And remember that some of the earliest clips had incomplete songs and a song broken down into two. We don't know which "version" of the beach clips he/she was refering to...

How far back do we speak?
The Cedric beach videoclip of 400?
The first group of the U2exit clips with
"I Believe", "Thank You", and "All My Life" ?

Becuase the 9 minute-wma from u2exit was the same as the seperate songs (400,402,403,404) released later.
And if the WMA was the only clip this person heard, then this can't be true:

"I think the person who recorded those got 2 parts of the same song on different files."

Last edited:
The song comes out in 3 weeks. You will hear it then. Then when it comes out everyone will be disapointed. I would segguest to just forget about it and worry about it when it comes out.:|

gherman said:
The song comes out in 3 weeks. You will hear it then. Then when it comes out everyone will be disapointed. I would segguest to just forget about it and worry about it when it comes out.:|

Well, hate to disappoint you, :p, but the song is released to the radio stations on November 8th and then U218 on the 20th and finally as a single on January 1st next year.

http://www.u2tour.de/news/article3061.html

gherman said:

Even more reason :wink:

:yes:

Just two final thoughts:
Maybe he heard the guitar version of 400
(Can't You see) from the videoclip and then the piano clip of it, and that's what he meant...but they don't sound too different apart from the instuments used, I think.

"when you hear WITS they blend and make sense."

And what was this talk about
"Just wait and listen in about a week or so and find out."
That's almost exactly the time from when it was written to the official(?) radio shipping, and at that point no information had been given about the radio release next week.

What about having a "(space)" in your username? Is that allowed nowadays? Because I remember I wasn't able to have that in my username when I signed up.

So could Mr Mirrorball be someone from the inside or just an attention-w***e with too much time on his hands?

Last edited:
You can rule out 403 because Daniel Lanois already did the song so to make it part of a completely new song wouldn't make sense.
If you listen to 400 and 402 you can hear where the Sweetest Thing vibe might be coming from. They have a little hop to them. The guitar part at the end of 402's chorus could give a listener the impression of COBL. 402 or 400 might have gotten some harmonies to give them depth at the chorus. That would really have a COBL feel to it. Considering these people are trying to relate the song to something well-known, these leaps aren't out of the question. Especially for Rolling Stone. :wink:

We're getting a little off topic here. The orginal point of my post was that at the beginning of 404 it sounds like Bono could be saying "see the window in the skies." I'm wondering if other people think it's possible that's what he's saying. Actually if you sing these words, I think they fit in well with the melody of the verse.

i think WITS is 404 as well cus U2.com said U2 recorded a brand new song at Abbey Road with a massive chorus!

U2freakboy said:
We're getting a little off topic here. The orginal point of my post was that at the beginning of 404 it sounds like Bono could be saying "see the window in the skies." I'm wondering if other people think it's possible that's what he's saying. Actually if you sing these words, I think they fit in well with the melody of the verse.

yes i can hear it

but i can also hear something...in..the...sky (skies?) in 402 as well.

and it could also be a completely different song that we've never heard before. whatever it is i just want it to be good.

I'm less interested in guessing at what a song we'll hear next week will sound like....and more intrigued by the fact that a 20-year-old previously unknown JT recording session demo has just been released, and has gained an added bit of mystery in the last day or so....:hmm:

http://forum.interference.com/t167681.html

Hopefully it is indeed 400. I thought I heard the piano, plus some strings as well - the chorus is kind of an OOTS/Stuck hybrid.

If I recall from what the 400 clip was, sounded like the chorus and into the bridge of "oh oh oh oh".

A bit Beatle-y.

Parapharased from Rollingstone:

"...an epic in the style of 'City of blinding lights,' with rich vocal harmonies."

The only beachclip that really matches this description is 404. Sure, 402, for example, could have "rich vocal harmonies," but it isn't in the style of 'City of Blinding Lights'. To be in that style, there would need to be a BIG chorus, which 404 has in spades....as well as the rich vocal harmonies. And in regards to the original post in this thread, it only fits the theory even more.

Back
Top Bottom