here's hoping Larry branches out on the new record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
War was good. War was 24 years ago.
War's drumming is full on assault. Bombastic, big, drumming. But Larry is capable of more intricate, creative rhythms.
I would also like to see him move beyond the kit.

U2Girl, why do you seem opposed to this idea?

hmm, I wouldn't mind if he branched it
but I can't say it's on my top 5 wishlist for the next album

I think Bono and Edge have been the only ones delivering on the last 2 albums. The rhythm section seems to have taken a back seat. I think the next album, in order to be unique, is going to not only rely on Edge's guitar textures and Bono's soaring vocals, but interesting rhythm parts.

Example is "A man and a woman". Great example of a rhythm section working in an engaging and interesting way.

The_acrobat said:

Example is "A man and a woman". Great example of a rhythm section working in an engaging and interesting way.

yeah, good point.
actually, I wonder how that song might have sounded had Larry used a hand drum :hmm:

Dorian Gray said:
War was good. War was 24 years ago.
War's drumming is full on assault. Bombastic, big, drumming. But Larry is capable of more intricate, creative rhythms.
I would also like to see him move beyond the kit.

U2Girl, why do you seem opposed to this idea?

Because I'm more interested in what Bono and Edge will do and because I just don't see Larry pounding away like that again.

He may try some new rhythms though to the band working with native Morocco musicians, including percussionists.

first of all, Larry IS a star, he's just very unassuming..like Edge :)

I would really really love to see some video of Larry on the drums sometime during the studio process...i mean we see Bono sing a few lines and edge play a few things, Adam fooling around with his bass, but we are yet to get any quality video of Larry actually messing around with new rhythms for upcoming albums....actually I can't recall ever seeing Larry on the drumset like that...Larry takes on an almost mysterious persona. It's strange...but that's what sparks my curiosity right now...and partly because I'm a drummer myself :)

As for branching out, I think he will :)

Rob33 said:
....actually I can't recall ever seeing Larry on the drumset like that...Larry takes on an almost mysterious persona.

On The Unforgettable Fire documentary on the Slane DVD we get to see Larry in the process of trying out the drum part for Pride, but that's about all I've ever seen that fits with your request.

dr. zooeuss said:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cjNWgejEHgI&feature=related

That's the Lanois footage. Do me a favor; look at the 4:40 mark at tell me if you think Larry has a gong in his drum set.

I think that would be so cool- :wink:

yeah, it would be really, really cool.

great percussion can add so much colour to a song. variety in rhythm can completely alter the mood. think of the last quarter of Until the End of the World live. he changes the drumming and suddenly it really feels like the end of the world! or think about the hand drums in Mysterious Ways, what they adds to the song, that exotic flair.

I guess this is what I'm getting at. Confessions of a Mullen fan.

Rob33 said:

.actually I can't recall ever seeing Larry on the drumset like that

don't know if you remember,

but when U2 .com was a site that you just happened to stumble across, they had a webcam in the studio for the recording of ATYCLB

Larry was just about the only person you ever saw in there,

Admittedly he was usually only reading the paper lol.. perhaps that's what he gets inspired by..

Ellay said:

don't know if you remember,

but when U2 .com was a site that you just happened to stumble across, they had a webcam in the studio for the recording of ATYCLB

Larry was just about the only person you ever saw in there,

Admittedly he was usually only reading the paper lol.. perhaps that's what he gets inspired by..

VERY INTERESTING! I read somewhere on here something about a cam in the studio, but wasn't sure specifically...thank you very much for this info...see it was only a few years ago where I started to develop an internet connection with U2 and other fans, so I really didn't know about inside info like this

anyway, can you please elaborate on this a little more, I'm very intrigued...Larry is in my mind the most mysterious member of U2...all I can do is marvel at his drumming but I really don't know much about his inspiration and more importantly his specific approach in the studio, and as a drummer myself this really interests me...also, what exactly do you mean by reading the paper? newspaper? Thanks! :)

Dorian Gray said:
I think we're due for a record where Larry's the real star

the thing about larry and adam, the bass and percussion movement of u2 is you can hear them do a good job if you have a good sound system

especially the live dvds

Back
Top Bottom