Hard Rocking Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Do you think U2 will make the album very hard rocking and energetic? Sortoff like the same feel as Vertigo but with deeper and somewaht more experimental songs? I don't see U2 re-inventing themselves like they did with RH-AB and Pop - ATYCLB but I think they will have more harder/energetic songs with some experimenting. In NLOTH, from the little I can hear from the beach clip, Bono seems to be really yelling out those lyrics. I would love to see a U2 album with less ballads (although one or two would be nice in the album) and more harder more energetic songs with a twist of experimenting so that it doesn't become ATYCLB 3.

Just my thoughts and wishes.

U2 is going to defy all classification rules and make up their own genre called molten metal. It will showcase their fears, anxieties and emotions in their most molten state combined with heavy guitars and double bass pedals.

Bono is gonna shave his head.
Larry is going to be pounding on garbage cans.
Edge is going burn his guitar while playing.
Adam is going to drink blood.

'Mysterious ways' meets 'One' is my prediction for the new album.

You heard it here first.

I don't expect that myself but damm that would be one awesome album given the MW is one of my all time favorite songs and one is up there too! I hope they add a little fly in there too! Maybe too much fly would = AB 2 but i wouldn't mind at all :)

vaz02 said:

You heard it here first.

vaz02 said:

You heard it here first.

They're remaking AB...:scratch:

I don't know what to expect this time, I really don't. Usually at this stage, with what has been bantered in the press you get a feel for where the boys are at, but right now I have no clue. It's either going to be really eclectic, or it's gonna flat out spew out hit after hit...I dunno...:shrug:

I hope that U2 are at a stage like they were from 1990 - 1996 where they're feeling they need to keep it interesting. I don't know that they made their best albums during that time, but I will say they were always interesting and fun...:yes:

dabiggestu2fan said:
I don't expect that myself but damm that would be one awesome album given the MW is one of my all time favorite songs and one is up there too! I hope they add a little fly in there too! Maybe too much fly would = AB 2 but i wouldn't mind at all :)

Dude, please tell me who is that in your avatar before I go insane!

Just a hunch, but I'd bet U2 is going to feel they haven't had enough time to perfect their new material, and, having a whole albums worth of 'rock' tunes on the shelf, will package the 'rock' album this fall and the 'new' material will show up sometime in 2010 or 2011....... :|

jay canseco said:
Just a hunch, but I'd bet U2 is going to feel they haven't had enough time to perfect their new material, and, having a whole albums worth of 'rock' tunes on the shelf, will package the 'rock' album this fall and the 'new' material will show up sometime in 2010 or 2011....... :|

This is based on what?:eyebrow:

dabiggestu2fan said:
OH LOL i meant to tell you last time and totaly forgot grrr. It is certainly not me LOL . I couldn't tell you who it is, just a picture I ran across somewhere a long time ago!

Are those his teeth? :crack:

It is possible, some of the experimental stuff they talk about sounds like it has the power chords of Pop or the thumping sound of Achtung Baby. I would like to see them rock a little more, the ballads and mid tempos have their place, but they need to continue in the direction of rock that HTDAAB started, just make it experimental. HTDAAB had PLENTY of rock, it was not another ATYCLB at all, it was much better: love and peace, COBL, Vertigo, ABOY, Crumbs are all rock. Still, I would like a couple more rockers than that on their next album. It is hard to predict, most albums have been mixes of rockers, ballads, mid tempos, all have some of each on them. The heaviest on rock are War, Boy and AB, but JT has exit, bullet, IGC, Streets, UF wire and Pride, etc, etc. It seems like the next album will be heaviest on elements of UF and AB, so my bet would be it will rock a little harder than Bomb and provide an atmospheric setting for the rock as well as some experimental ballads/mid tempos. That seems to be what I get from listening to the clips/reading Eno and Lanois comments. How about everyone else?

I think U2 should just forget about 'trying' to make a hit single or 'trying' to make a great ballad we can alll sing to and just made the dam songs like how they are feeling at the time, this is where i think HTDAAB got screwed over because they wanted it to be too much like a typical album instead of just doing music the way they want to do it (which from them saying they want to get lost in the music sounds like they don't wanna over think the whole album). And who cares about time limits, if the album sounds great and it ends up going over an hour then who cares as long as its complete?

U2387 said:
It is possible, some of the experimental stuff they talk about sounds like it has the power chords of Pop or the thumping sound of Achtung Baby. I would like to see them rock a little more, the ballads and mid tempos have their place, but they need to continue in the direction of rock that HTDAAB started, just make it experimental. HTDAAB had PLENTY of rock, it was not another ATYCLB at all, it was much better: love and peace, COBL, Vertigo, ABOY, Crumbs are all rock. Still, I would like a couple more rockers than that on their next album. It is hard to predict, most albums have been mixes of rockers, ballads, mid tempos, all have some of each on them. The heaviest on rock are War, Boy and AB, but JT has exit, bullet, IGC, Streets, UF wire and Pride, etc, etc. It seems like the next album will be heaviest on elements of UF and AB, so my bet would be it will rock a little harder than Bomb and provide an atmospheric setting for the rock as well as some experimental ballads/mid tempos. That seems to be what I get from listening to the clips/reading Eno and Lanois comments. How about everyone else?

well i would love to see that, but would you mind showing mean these Eno comments? He seems lost in this whole process really, I hope that's not the case :scratch:

Moser said:
Bono is gonna shave his head.
Larry is going to be pounding on garbage cans.
Edge is going burn his guitar while playing.
Adam is going to drink blood.

Sounds just like Popmart tour all over again :wink:

I think that some reasonably heavy songs would be awsome, but i duno if thats really something to be expected of U2 :sad:

This album is confusing. I have no idea really what the album will be like because there have been so many different elements thrown into the mix. They had the leftovers from Atomic Bomb, and then they brought in Rick Rubin and recorded four (apparently) great songs with him. But then, they completely changed direction, and cowrote a bunch of songs wiht Eno and Lanois in France and Morrocco.

It sounds to me like a bit of a hodge podge of songs. As such, I'm not sure if they can really make one unified album out of all the songs they must have by now. I'm guessing they have close to 100 songs. They could probably make an album out of the Atomic Bomb leftovers and the Rubin songs....but what about the Eno and Lanois sessions?

In the end, we may get two albums, both completely different from each other.... I just don't see how else they can do it, unless they trash a lot of material.

I actually believe Bono when he says that the rock has to go (or get much bigger). I'm sorta expected some vibe-y material in the spirit of the Berlin AB material. And the Mysterious Ways Fez connection could be an ingredient, of course.

I predict lots of guitar, but more swaggering Fly-styled stuff. I hope that this record has some groove to it.

Michael Griffiths said:
I'm guessing they have close to 100 songs.

Yeah, but what U2 calls "songs" could be next-to-nothing riffs, chord fragments, or just title. They use the term pretty liberally!

Wasn't Lanois's m.o. this time around to finish off a tight collection of songs rather than sort through that 100 songs?

One thing's for sure: I'd sure love to have a leak along the lines of the Hansa AB tapes. It was interesting listening to the band sort through that stuff, even if some of it led nowhere.

Rob33 said:

well i would love to see that, but would you mind showing mean these Eno comments? He seems lost in this whole process really, I hope that's not the case :scratch:

Just my general sense from reading all of his comments. How the process is coming together, experimental work, the guys are working together well, etc. I agree, he seems a little lost, but I trust him, he and Lanois have a pretty good track record, I would say! I wish I had a place to point you for the comments, but I do not in particular- just overall from reading what has been said, it seems to be above all, shooting for an atmospheric(UF) and experimental(AB) sound. Also, the edge is on fire stuff from Bono, the molten metal, the comments about U2 not wanting to clear the dance floor, albeit from Bono who can exagerrate a little :) seem to all point at AB elements.

ahittle said:
I actually believe Bono when he says that the rock has to go (or get much bigger). I'm sorta expected some vibe-y material in the spirit of the Berlin AB material. And the Mysterious Ways Fez connection could be an ingredient, of course.

I predict lots of guitar, but more swaggering Fly-styled stuff. I hope that this record has some groove to it.

So what do you or anyone else think, of course this could be a whole different thread: Will the rock go, or get alot harder? I personally can not see it going all together as they have never completely discounted it even on UF.

dabiggestu2fan said:
OH LOL i meant to tell you last time and totaly forgot grrr. It is certainly not me LOL . I couldn't tell you who it is, just a picture I ran across somewhere a long time ago!

Isn't that that Jaws guy from James Bond movies ?

Michael Griffiths said:
This album is confusing. I have no idea really what the album will be like because there have been so many different elements thrown into the mix. They had the leftovers from Atomic Bomb, and then they brought in Rick Rubin and recorded four (apparently) great songs with him. But then, they completely changed direction, and cowrote a bunch of songs wiht Eno and Lanois in France and Morrocco.

It sounds to me like a bit of a hodge podge of songs. As such, I'm not sure if they can really make one unified album out of all the songs they must have by now. I'm guessing they have close to 100 songs. They could probably make an album out of the Atomic Bomb leftovers and the Rubin songs....but what about the Eno and Lanois sessions?

In the end, we may get two albums, both completely different from each other.... I just don't see how else they can do it, unless they trash a lot of material.

True, but the interesting bit is, as Edge said, none of the Rubin songs (and presumably any of Bomb leftovers) were played to Eno and Lanois, they started a brand new patch of songs in Morocco. Edge was diplomatic and said they might get back to Rubin songs (different sound from Morocco stuff), but I'm thinking Rubin was more like Chris Thomas all over again and they shifted direction and location of the recording. It looks like "Passengers part II" will now be a U2 album, with Eno and Lanois co-writing and co-credited for the songs.

Lanois did say Bono has a lyrical angle now, which makes me think we will get a more cohesive album this time.

Back
Top Bottom