Great news!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i hope they use it as a b-side. its an ok song, im listening to it right now.
and if they want a new sound they need to get away from their current sound(which includes mercy)
bobo also needs to re-do his vocals.

"leftover from How to Dismantle an Atomic Band" hardly smacks of reinvention. But the article wasn't exactly the inside scoop.

IMO it's an average song with some pretty lousy lyrics (which I still consider to be place-holders). I'd like to hear a finished version, but I'd hate to think that it would be the centerpiece to the next album.

shaun vox said:
i hope they use it as a b-side. its an ok song, im listening to it right now.
and if they want a new sound they need to get away from their current sound(which includes mercy)
bobo also needs to re-do his vocals.

Why? Bono's vocal performence on that song is amazing.

Peterrrrr said:

Why? Bono's vocal performence on that song is amazing.

I think the performance is amazing, but the lyrics strike me as unfinished - a (long) list of metaphors. Some of them are quite good, but it doesn't work for me.

I understand that some people feel otherwise!:wink:

corianderstem said:
Really?

Meh.

:|

"feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel" :), I don't find anything bad about the vocal performence in this song. His voice is very strong, he plays alot with the notes on this song.

I'm hoping for all the HTDAAB leftovers becoming b-sides. INCLUDING All My Life.

Not if U2 is planning on doing something new. Mercy is a HTDAAB leftover. It deserves about as much as She's Gonna Blow Your House Down from the salome tapes.

Peterrrrrrrrr, I'm "meh" about the inclusion of Mercy on the album; that wasn't a knock on Bono's vocals.

corianderstem said:
Peterrrrrrrrr, I'm "meh" about the inclusion of Mercy on the album; that wasn't a knock on Bono's vocals.

Thank goodness. I didn't wanna see the copy'n'paste list of the great vocals of Bono in the past 3 years again....

I know Mercy has been given enormous praise over the past few years from this board, but I still have to say this--

For me, Mercy has one of the most emotional deliveries from U2 I've ever heard. Bono just spills his soul in this song (no pun intended). And that climax near the end, oh that climax! Turn it up on headphones at that point and you'll be in aural heaven.:drool:

I know the current rumors say this album will emphasize innovation of sorts, but I don't have any problem with the album containing Mercy, even if only for a change of pace.

the tourist said:
Not if U2 is planning on doing something new. Mercy is a HTDAAB leftover. It deserves about as much as She's Gonna Blow Your House Down from the salome tapes.

Cobl was an Pop leftover, it sounded like nothing on Pop
HMTMKMKM was an Zooropa lefterover, it sounded like nothing on Zooropa.
LIB strated in late 80's...

Mercy is in its demo version one of their greatest songs, I hope that they dont overproduced it...

Mercy is a great, great song with so much potential, but i agree some of the lyrics are kind of bad. But if they do some work, they can fix it.

I love the guitar/bass on the song, and I think it should be on the album.

I feel like Mercy is not quite HTDAAB sound but not quite new or different too.

As for B's vocals on the track they would easily be the best from the HTDAAB recording process. His voice is huge very strong. After the two begining verses he sings the last 4 minutes pretty much is full voice, full power and never lets up.

and any one else enjoy the drumming on mercy its deffinately better than larrys stuff in the past few years. He plays hard and fast - I particulary like the part when the song slows (the "I, I cant escape my self) then at 4:35 larrys back "crack" and the tempo reverts back to its original speed.

having said that Mercy is realy good and would be interested in hearing it reworked but again I already have it and appreciate and rather have a new song on the new album

Peterrrrr said:
HMTMKMKM was an Zooropa lefterover, it sounded like nothing on Zooropa.

ONLY because they threw out all the rock songs from that album! Otherwise it would've sounded exactly like Zooropa. Because it would've been on Zooropa if they hadn't been intending to do a specific sound.

Mercy can't say the same thing because it sounds just like HTDAAB.

how is mercy going to fit on the new album when it's supposed to have a new innovative sound?

I'm assuming it can be reworked with different instruments, sounds, just new ideas really. I'm sure the basic structure of the song will stay intact, but other than that it'd probably be changed.

I think the lyrics are pretty good. Some good ironic and self-deprecating lines in there. The ending verse I like especially, where it fades out.

I don't think there'd be a U2 album that doesn't involve some songs that are hangovers from the session before, or even before that (COBL originated around Pop for example, and no doubt sounded entirely different then in almost every conceivable way). I have absolutely no problem with it either. Mercy - as it stands in structure and sound - I personally don't think is very good overall. Generic sounding, no real redeeming features to it at all, b-side only, just a dull song with Bono playing overly-sincere throughout. But, given a savage run through the U2 overhaul machine and all of it's possibilities, I wouldn't write it off completely. If it's just a similar sound and structure with a plastic Miracle Drug style production shine, then it would just be a big yawn to me. A bit more delicacy here, a bit of spark there, a general tuning down a few notches of an awful vocal delivery in general washed over with whatever real new sonic flare they're playing with and it's definitely salvageable.

Back
Top Bottom