Great news! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist

Except that it did sound like Bomb. Maybe it's been too long since I heard Mercy (since I lost it when my computer crashed and didn't bother getting it back), but to me it sounded like it belonged on Bomb to me. In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of City of Blinding Lights in a way (the mixing is absolutely awful).

It's probably been to long since you last heard it.

U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:23 AM
ok so i'm just a bit confused now...they are going to actually re record this song in the studio for the next album right? Or are they just tinkering with the version now...i hope not, can someone clarify please

Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:23 AM
No one knows for sure so no one can clarify.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 04:23 AM
I hope they don't turn it into a HTDAAB clone track like Miracle or OOTS. When I listen to Mercy I get a similar feeling to when I listen to Pride or Streets... it has a vulnerability and an emotion to it that all of HTDAAB was sorely lacking.

I think if they let that come out and just take it to another level with a great mix and some good decisions about song structure it could be the kind of hit that Beautiful Day was. A soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion - instead of U2 trying to do a soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion, ala COBL.

As far as fitting this song into an album of experimentation, like this album is supposed to be, I think this song contains something intangible that any U2 song from any direction or era contains. I think a good U2 song will always fit. Look at Stay on Zooropa. What if they said... "well it doesn't sound like Lemon or Zooropa, so let's scrap it from the tracklist..."? U2 on any album is U2... and you can always pick out a U2 song, regardless of new directions...
Needle_Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #50
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:23 AM
good post needle_chill
Tyagu_Anaykus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #51
The Fly

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Needle_Chill

I think if they let that come out and just take it to another level with a great mix and some good decisions about song structure it could be the kind of hit that Beautiful Day was. A soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion - instead of U2 trying to do a soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion, ala COBL.

But wasn't that exactly what Beautful Day was built to be 'A U2 Pop song'. Don't get me wrong I love BD but it is no different to COBL in intent or craft imo.
ludvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
I hope they don't turn it into a HTDAAB clone track like Miracle or OOTS. When I listen to Mercy I get a similar feeling to when I listen to Pride or Streets... it has a vulnerability and an emotion to it that all of HTDAAB was sorely lacking.

As far as fitting this song into an album of experimentation, like this album is supposed to be, I think this song contains something intangible that any U2 song from any direction or era contains. I think a good U2 song will always fit. Look at Stay on Zooropa. What if they said... "well it doesn't sound like Lemon or Zooropa, so let's scrap it from the tracklist..."? U2 on any album is U2... and you can always pick out a U2 song, regardless of new directions...
yes, I agree...dammit this thread is forcing me to go back and listen to this song on repeat..
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:23 AM
I think is COBL is the epic U2 song of the '00s and their best one at that. Needle_Chill did you go to any Vertigo shows? COBL was one of the highlights of the tour. Much bigger than BD live.

U2 has always had simple song structures. I mean as complex as AB, Zooropa, and Pop sound. 90% of the songs on that album are pretty basic sound structures. Were not talking Dylan or Kid A here

Mercy once finished will sound great. The mix we have is defintely a work in progress.
zoopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
The mix we have is defintely a work in progress.
Thank god for that.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #55
Refugee

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
[B]I hope they don't turn it into a HTDAAB clone track like Miracle or OOTS. When I listen to Mercy I get a similar feeling to when I listen to Pride or Streets... it has a vulnerability and an emotion to it that all of HTDAAB was sorely lacking.

I agree, it feels more in line with the older stuff, more genuine and alive, not grasping for a hit.

I'm pleased it will be on the album.
Sleep Over Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
Mercy once finished will sound great. The mix we have is defintely a work in progress.

Where do you get this? People have claimed this before and it makes no sense to me. The song may have less-than-perfect sound quality, but that's because it's a bootlegged copy. The song was removed from the tracklisting at the final stage with Fast Cars. if Fast Cars sounds finished than Mercy probably is too.

That doesn't mean they won't change it (read: fuck it up) before it appears on an album, but it sounds like it's done to me.

Chalk me up with the other people who think it's the best thing they've recorded this decade.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Even if it is a bootlegged copy, the mixing on it still sucks.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:23 AM
when i hear mercy i throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #59
Refugee

Local Time: 05:23 AM
I really don't want ANYTHING from HTDAAB on the "new" U2 album. Otherwise, it will be yet another ATYCLB
ponkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
I really don't want ANYTHING from HTDAAB on the "new" U2 album. Otherwise, it will be yet another ATYCLB
Exactly.