Great news! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #31
The Male

Local Time: 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Mercy deserves more than a B-side status. Luckily, it seems it will get that.

LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:04 AM
It'll be great to hear everyone bitch about it.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
But, given a savage run through the U2 overhaul machine
That's the only thing that could possibly make me think it belongs anywhere but track 2 or 3 of a single.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 08:04 PM
I am constantly fascinated by the difference of opinion on this song. It seems poeple either think "best thing to come out of U2 in 10 years" or write it off as nothing more than an unfinished, shabby Miracle Drug.!!

I can't wait to hear the completed version. I'm sure there will be a total explosion of new chit chat about its ins and outs. Its going to be interesting to see how it evolves, and fits into the album.

Personally I think its incredible. I just see so much power and potentional in this song. Its just so essentially U2....the diffinitve U2 experience. Can't imagine what it would be like hearing it live....
luna_lovegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by luna_lovegood
the diffinitve U2 experience.
This happens to be Where The Streets Have No Name live.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #36
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:04 AM
I can't wait to hear a better, re-worked version of this and also hear people complain about how it was ruined.

It's missing a piece or two to be a truly great song, I hope it delivers.

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist

Thank goodness. I didn't wanna see the copy'n'paste list of the great vocals of Bono in the past 3 years again....
And this made my laugh. I haven't had such a more vocally satisfying laugh since 2008-1-15 - The Picard Song.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:

This happens to be Where The Streets Have No Name live.

Yes. agreed....But I would I would like to think that the greatest band on earth, together for 30 odd years can create more than one kind of "diffinitive experience".(yes I know that defeats the definition of the word....but you guys know what I mean) Mercy is way up there for me! Maybe not at the live Streets level just yet.....but its pretty god damn good!! And I can't wait for the album and live versions. I havent been able to download it, so I've just been listening to it on youtube for the past year or 2! COME ON NEW ALBUM!!!!!!
luna_lovegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Not if U2 is planning on doing something new. Mercy is a HTDAAB leftover. It deserves about as much as She's Gonna Blow Your House Down from the salome tapes.
It may be a leftover from Bomb but it fits there about as much as Fast cars did. (not at all, that is) It doesn't sound like anything else on that album. Just like GBHF didn't fit in with ATYCLB. I can't help but wonder what would be if they had hung on to Mercy/Fast cars/Stateless/GBHF for this next album...

I wouldn't exactly call it "best song of the new decade" (not with COBL - or BD for most people - around), but definitely album material.
The vocals alone deserve it - when I first heard it I thought this was AB era Bono.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 08:34 PM
This song has everything
-Beautiful lyrics (albeit not flowing 100%)
-Powerful/emotional vocal performance
-Some of larry's best drumming (I hope they don't change it)
-And finally some of Edge's most catchiest riffs yet. This song definately has the best Edge hooks i've heard in a long time (especially at the end)

I just hope U2 don't fuck it up, if they release it as a single they'll have to totally ruin it to make it more easily digestable, a song of Mercy's calibre has no place on the charts next to .....ummm Backstreet Boys or whatever (they still around? shit I'm out of touch)
AussieU2fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:04 AM
^ I agree. I cannot even imagine hearing a song like Mercy on mainstream radio. Thus I'm not so sure I want it as a single. Would be great as an album closer, especially with the end as it is now.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #41
The Fly

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
This song has everything
-Beautiful lyrics (albeit not flowing 100%)
-Powerful/emotional vocal performance
-Some of larry's best drumming (I hope they don't change it)
-And finally some of Edge's most catchiest riffs yet. This song definately has the best Edge hooks i've heard in a long time (especially at the end)

I just hope U2 don't fuck it up, if they release it as a single they'll have to totally ruin it to make it more easily digestable, a song of Mercy's calibre has no place on the charts next to .....ummm Backstreet Boys or whatever (they still around? shit I'm out of touch)
I couldn't agree with you more !!!! Very well said!!

(B.t.w. did you read my post "Now Mercy is going to be on the new album")?
onyourkneesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

I guess I'm not thrilled with it being on the album, but I'm curious to see how it'll change from the version we all know. I hope they do something with it - it definitely needs some tweaking to be "album ready," in my opinion (duh).

I don't hate the song; in fact, I rather like it. I'm just in the camp that doesn't understand how some people act like it's the second coming of Jesus.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:04 AM
I'll be glad it's on the new album ONLY if they rework it in a way that makes it sound different. A song like this would have fit in well with Atomic Bomb and I don't want that.
Also I'd like Bono to work on the vocal a bit. It's alright, but at times it sounds like he's been sucking on lemons.
shart1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
It may be a leftover from Bomb but it fits there about as much as Fast cars did. (not at all, that is)
Except that it did sound like Bomb. Maybe it's been too long since I heard Mercy (since I lost it when my computer crashed and didn't bother getting it back), but to me it sounded like it belonged on Bomb to me. In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of City of Blinding Lights in a way (the mixing is absolutely awful).

It needs a major overhaul if we're expecting anything different from the current 00's U2. And EVEN if it's given to us in the same manner as it's already presented, if DEFINITELY would need to be re-recorded and mixed by someone who understands subtlety.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:04 AM
mercy is the most cliche filled song i have ever heard.

there are parts of it that are very good, but there are parts of it that are not. hopefully in 8 years they have put a lot of work into it.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote