GOYB Cover Art on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I already know the answer to this...but forgive me I'll ask it anyway...in light of some of the bashing that GOYB has taken....do you think that U2 should have waited to release the song to radio this past Monday (Jan 26th) along with the single cover art and the video this Friday...just to tie things a little closer together?? Instead of having things "single related" ending up being stretched out a bit and U2's management a bit unorganized with promo for GOYB

for some reason, i can't get the picture of bono screaming "LET ME IN THE SOUND" in that white room out of my head.

I think I already know the answer to this...but forgive me I'll ask it anyway...in light of some of the bashing that GOYB has taken....do you think that U2 should have waited to release the song to radio this past Monday (Jan 26th) along with the single cover art and the video this Friday...just to tie things a little closer together?? Instead of having things "single related" ending up being stretched out a bit and U2's management a bit unorganized with promo for GOYB

This is where I want to ask again: When did we first find out about the radio/online debut? Was it not only a couple of days before, after the clips started leaking? And did we not have later expected dates before then? Does no-one else think they felt they had to let it out earlier than they initially intended? It seems like most things are geared for this week, not last week.

Zooropa Man, If you right click the link at the u2.com press page and choose save target as you get the huge hi res version, but if you are having trouble I can still email it, let me know.

I did that but it's not big enough and if I try to blow it up, it looses it's reso. Weird. :nerd:

This is where I want to ask again: When did we first find out about the radio/online debut? Was it not only a couple of days before, after the clips started leaking? And did we not have later expected dates before then? Does no-one else think they felt they had to let it out earlier than they initially intended? It seems like most things are geared for this week, not last week.

we had no official confirmeation, but allan cross told us to expect it "any day now" two weeks before the release

LOOK AT ANY SINGLE COVER FROM JT, even R&H, MY FRIEND! Great stuff right there...they could so do better than this, it's like they didn't even try! There is nothing unique or exciting about this at all...
Example:
"In God's Country"
In_gods_country_cover.jpg

"The Sweetest Thing"
U2_Sweetest_Thing.jpg

Your photography kicks ass Anton

or "The Fly"
U2thefly.jpg

Actually the JT single art was pretty mediocre, it was just the JT border with other photos subsituted in, unfortunately they were all inferior photos.

The AB singles were amazing.

The Sweetest Thing single is cool only in the context of the best of/Boy/War, it didn't fit the actual single.

Cool photo though, but I don't think Anton did that one, did he?

Actually the JT single art was pretty mediocre, it was just the JT border with other photos subsituted in, unfortunately they were all inferior photos.

The AB singles were amazing.

The Sweetest Thing single is cool only in the context of the best of/Boy/War, it didn't fit the actual single.

Cool photo though, but I don't think Anton did that one, did he?

isn't it just the war photo with some gas-mask sticky-taped onto his face?

The only reason the sweetest thing single cover worked is because it was part of the best of 1980-1990, whose cover featured the WAR-era boy on the front.

Yeah....I mean don't get me wrong I wasn't complaining..but here in the U.S. it just seemed weird the song was coming out the day before Pres. Obama was sworn in...and I understand GOYB is GOYB whether it's released last Monday or this past Monday
On another thread I posted that there was no way they were releasing the song to radio in or around the 20th because of the Presidential Inauguration since it might take some publicity away from U2....boy did I get that right....NOT!!

I thought it was a good one precisely because of that. A sickly sweet pop tune, titled ‘the Sweetest Thing’, has the (slightly) jarring image of a kid in a gas mask on the cover. It’s not genius or high art, and not original given it’s Best of/Boy/War context, but it’s still striking. Definitely so to someone flicking the CD rack, unaware at the time of the song or the image history. Beats Bono in the back of a carriage handing over a bouquet of flowers whilst surrounded by semi-naked fire fighters, no?

Personally, I think the graphic design for this album is shaping up to be far better then BOMB. Sure, the GOYB artwork isn't spectacular, but it looks good.

The art for NLOTH is absolutely beautiful, in my opinion. NO TEXT! NO TEXT! NO TEXT!

Back
Top Bottom