Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course, but if someone was outraged by that, I'd still roll my eyes. It was still played for laughs, like how ridiculous (yet awesome) is it that this barely-heard-of TV show from the 50s had this exchange about a guy named Trump that slots perfectly into 2017?

Compare that to the new video, or the earlier (iHeart? was there another one, too?) performances where they used video of Trump. I see that as much more pointed than the stuff that they did on the JT tour.

For me, this song is all about the layers. When I first heard it, I thought "Meh" and I don't think I listened to it all the way through. It was a less-ballsy version of Beautiful Day.

But then I start to appreciate that with each iteration of the pre-chorus/chorus they add a new layer, either of vocals or guitars. Yet they seem to lose that with the live versions I've heard - without those backing layers, it just sounds... empty.

tumblr_inline_otfl63wAKV1tfing7_400.gif

While i quite like the song, i can't understand the uh-uh ah uh-ohhhh bits after the refrain. Or using the chorus/prechorus thingy as an intro.
Take away the intro and the uh-oh shit and it lifts a lot for me

It seems
that stuff was built in for album continuity. And it makes no sense when viewed as a single.
You think? How do those pissy uh-uh bits add to continuity? Genuinely interested in your take.
I figured they were just Bonoisms. Anyone else remember back to 2004 and there was an article with Bono playing Original of the Species to a reporter? And when the song got to the do-do-do-do bit Bono said something like 'and this is where we guarantee this song reaches number 1'?
That's what I feel is happening here. Bono being incapable of getting his voice out of the song's way.

You think? How do those pissy uh-uh bits add to continuity? Genuinely interested in your take.
I figured they were just Bonoisms. Anyone else remember back to 2004 and there was an article with Bono playing Original of the Species to a reporter? And when the song got to the do-do-do-do bit Bono said something like 'and this is where we guarantee this song reaches number 1'?
That's what I feel is happening here. Bono being incapable of getting his voice out of the song's way.

I’ve never understood why some hate these so much. Ohs, ahs, sha la las have been in music since the dawn of music.

I’ve never understood why some hate these so much. Ohs, ahs, sha la las have been in music since the dawn of music.

Oh absolutely, and where they work well I like them. Pride is the obvious example.
But it's like anything (and I'm speaking obviously of personal taste) - where they don't seem to work they become way more visible and jarring.
I don't reckon they work here.

Oh absolutely, and where they work well I like them. Pride is the obvious example.

But it's like anything (and I'm speaking obviously of personal taste) - where they don't seem to work they become way more visible and jarring.

I don't reckon they work here.

Interesting, each their own, it’s probably one of my favorite part of a meh song.

Really? You do get the bit I'm talking about right? "Get out of your own waaaay, ah ah ah ah ahhhhh"

Not the big ohhhhs in the chorus....

It doesn't bother me. :shrug: That part had to be filled with something, and we all know that Bono abhors a vacuum.

It allows the tracking to go straight from one song to another, right in the chorus (as an intro) with a complete musical meter and no need for filler words that distinguish the introduction as, in fact, an introduction.

It is weird for a 56 year old to be doing it. Trying too hard

he's a singer, his voice is his instrument, he can do what the hell he likes with it

(whatever you do, don't listen to Kate Bush, she does birds, donkeys the lot :D )

It is weird for a 56 year old to be doing it. Trying too hard

:scratch: So someone his age isn’t supposed to sing any aaahs or oohhhs? At what age does a singer outgrow that? What is he supposed to sing instead? This raises so many questions.

And Bono is actually 57, by the way. So that makes it even worse! :ohmy:

Nah, I think I've heard enough about Trump everywhere else, I don't need more at a concert. :crack:

100% this.

I open a paper(yes, they still have those)= Trump is a jerk

I go to Facebook= Trump is a jerk

I turn on Late Night TV= Trump is a jerk

I watch most news programs= Trump is a jerk

I have never attended their concerts to get “enlightened “ on political issues or too get advice from U2..lol I go to them for entertainment and to hear amazing songs and they have never disappointed.

As soon as the quality of their performance is outweighed by other things....I will likely stop going

Back
Top Bottom