Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point. Let's ask him.

And just yesterday there was this...

You're right that it might not necessarily be the reaction to Wrecking Ball, but it times out that way. He's also said that he has no interest in writing about what's going on today, which is very not Bruce like.

But does he say anywhere that he hasn't been writing SINCE Wrecking Ball??

If this is from the book, that's over two years ago now

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised so many people seem to like this song. It's one of the blandest, by-the-numbers (in the worst possible way) songs they've ever done. And quite easily the most complacent they've ever been in their songwriting. Maybe if there had never been a Beautiful Day I'd rank its doddering rhythmic sensibilities a little higher, but it just comes off as a poor man's limp BD. Can't really take the video seriously when it acts as a backdrop to such a banal pop song.

Easily the worst song on the album. American Soul is weighed down tremendously by the Volcano bits, but its verses are actually pretty good.

But does he say anywhere that he hasn't been writing SINCE Wrecking Ball??

If this is from the book, that's over two years ago now
That quote is from the October 2017 Variety magazine.

1*LrtBo4j04Oc-6QENtoqb2g.jpeg

I'm genuinely surprised so many people seem to like this song. It's one of the blandest, by-the-numbers (in the worst possible way) songs they've ever done. And quite easily the most complacent they've ever been in their songwriting. Maybe if there had never been a Beautiful Day I'd rank its doddering rhythmic sensibilities a little higher, but it just comes off as a poor man's limp BD. Can't really take the video seriously when it acts as a backdrop to such a banal pop song.

Easily the worst song on the album. American Soul is weighed down tremendously by the Volcano bits, but its verses are actually pretty good.

Yep worst song on the album. Rubbish

I don't see how anyone can have a strong feelings for this song one way or the other, love or hate. It's completely unremarkable and inoffensive...00's U2 on cruise control.

I can understand an active dislike of say, American Soul. But Get Out of Your Own Way? It's like saying you have a strong dislike for paper clips.

Hear, hear!

I just read the comments on U2s last two Facebook posts about GOOYOWs video....wow!

Usually it's 90-10 U2 fans talking positively about either the song/video/tour, etc... (save for the Recent tour for North America where people were rightfully pissed by the botched presale). However, the comments on these recent posts are 95-5 negative.

Maybe they are trolls who are not U2 fans just hating on them for their anti-trump views but a lot of the posts seems to simply say "I'm done" or "good bye" and not attack them (you would think the trolls would be the ones who really go in on them).

Also it's interesting to note that shortly after SOI came out they had about 18.3 million likes and now they have 17.4 million likes.

Last edited:
I just read the comments on U2s last two Facebook posts about GOOYOWs video....wow!

Usually it's 90-10 U2 fans talking positively about either the song/video/tour, etc... (save for the Recent tour for North America where people were rightfully pissed by the botched presale). However, the comments on these recent posts are 95-5 negative.

Maybe they are trolls who are not U2 fans just hating on them for their anti-trump views but a lot of the posts seems to simply say "I'm done" or "good bye" and not attack them (you would think the trolls would be the ones who really go in on them).

Also it's interesting to note that shortly after SOI came out they had about 18.3 million likes and now they have 17.4 million likes.

I saw that this evening, too. People really hate this video. I was at least expecting a lot of liberals cheering them on for it because of the Trump bashing and the pro-refugee stance, but even liberals seem to hate it. Conservatives are offended at the way America is represented, people who actually like Trump are livid, and the rest are saying that showing the boy on the beach is in bad taste. So basically there's something in there for everyone to be upset about.

I am not so sure about that. Right now there are 8,000 thumbs up and 3,000 thumbs down on the video. This video is clearly going to generate backlash and it’s going to draw plenty of critics on the internet from places like Breitbart. So I would not be surprised to see a large number of negative comments and a large number of “thumbs down.” But so far 73% of folks who’ve weighed in on the video on YouTube have had a positive reaction - and the “likes” are probably a better representation of how most people feel about the video as many more people will give a thumbs up/down than will comment. So I think at this point, it would accurate to say so far that the video is grabbing attention, most people seem to like it, but there’s also a sizable backlash from a vocal minority.

The other thing is that on Facebook, the VAST majority of the audience reactions to the posts so far are positive. The first one currently has 4,700 likes, and 36 mad faces. I’m not saying there won’t be big backlash to this video - but comments are not representative of the whole. You can’t look at a few dozen or even a hundred angry comments and assume “everyone hates this.” Likes are more representative of the overall response.

Last edited:
So don't really care enough about the video to really make comment. It's neither here nor there for me. I like that U2 are playing with politics again, but I don't like animated videos much.

What I am wondering however... is what happened to the Mexico City footage that was apparently filmed for the GOOYOW video? I was pretty excited about this cause I was in Mexico City at the time. Was it scrapped altogether? I thought they spent a whole afternoon shooting it.

What happened to the Mexico City footage that was apparently filmed for the GOOYOW video? I was pretty excited about this cause I was in Mexico City at the time. Was it scrapped altogether? I thought they spent a whole afternoon shooting it.

Maybe they took a look at out and thought "Oh God, we finally look old. Call the animators!"

On another note, yeah those comments on YouTube. Wow. Troll central.

That ole' video on the beach is on ice, for sure.

But on a serious note, the video is really quite confrontational to what Trump stands for. It's not subtle but HOT DAMN I'm proud they've released it!

Can you imagine Coldplay releasing such a defiant message in these polarised times? Exactly. They'll never be thanked for it, but it's an honourable stance.

I liked this. JT tour lacked confrontation. I'm hoping e+i is rife with it.

Yeah, it puzzled me to see people complaining about the JT tour being "anti Trump." I mean, sure there were some jabs, but they were so mild. On the scale of U2 being pointedly political, it barely even registered.

Back
Top Bottom